CrazyBoards.org

Is BPD mental or criminal?

Hey guys well as you know i've been diagnosed both Bipolar and Borderline personality, well i was always certain both were mental illness but the other day my dad went to the local pdoc to get me commited under the mental health act and got told the following.

I dont have Bipolar i only have borderline

My actions are the result of my own and any threats made or any damage done as a result of Borderline illness should be resulted in police arrest and charges laid not sent to the mental health system

My dad was told i am not crazy and that i should be charged and have a restraint order taken against me. I always thought borderline was mental illness.

But this almost seems like criminal action instead. so is it mental or criminal??

I apologize, but this post is very vague. What happened that caused your father to go to the local pdoc?

Also, have you been to this pdoc before? If not, then how could the pdoc diagnose you without seeing you? 

One more note, it sounds like your relationship with your father is not very good? Maybe you should kind of....either try to talk to him or keep your distance before he gets you into trouble. It sounds like your father is looking for trouble maybe. I'm not sure. 

I can[t say much though, because I don't want to make assumptions on a vague post. 

Without going into detail yes this pdoc has seen me before, in his words...

He downgraded me from bipolar to borderline then he said with councilling he will downgrade me to ptsd with anxiety then cure me

Right now he says i just have borderline until i get councilling to get cured

My dad and i get along well he just hates seeing me off meds...

It sounds like you need to see a totally new psychiatrist. Take a look online. If you find a new psychiatrist, don't tell your father about the psychiatrist. Or, if you do tell your father, sign a paper saying that the pdoc can't speak to your dad. Also, if you find a new psychiatrist, start clan, do not send old records to them. If you look online, be sure to read reviews about the pdoc if you can find them. 

1) You are responsible for your actions, regardless of their origins in willful behavior or mental illness.

2) People sometimes become so mentally ill that they become dangerous to themselves, dangerous to others, or gravely disabled such that they cannot attend to their own basic needs. When this is true, our societies have determined that most people would want to receive treatment until they become well enough to not be dangerous to themselves or others.

In order to take away someone's civil rights and provide treatment against the will of the individual, a court has to determine that the individual is so ill that they temporarily cannot make decisions in their own best interests.

If a family member or professional is concerned about your ability to be safe toward yourself or others, or to attend to your own basic needs, it is appropriate for those people to refer to the mental illness court system in your area.

I disagree with Cynical Reality's statement about "starting fresh". When someone is having as much trouble as AlienSlayer has had over the past few weeks that seems directly related to abruptly discontinuing medications without medical supervision, I think that's a critical piece of information that needs to be communicated to the new provider.

I also disagree with Cynical Reality's earlier statement about staying away from your dad. It seems pretty clear that he's trying to help you restabilize.

I have to say though, I was forced to go IP once by my therapist and ever since then, I stopped trusting mental health professionals. M mother calling the crisis hotline on me also broke my trust. Now, I only talk about things online. I don't dare tell mental health people my problems. I don't plan on getting psych warded again. 

Since the pdoc talked about "downgrading"...to me, that's a red flag. It doesn't sound like this pdoc knows what he is doing. There is no "downgrade." Also, if the pdoc keeps changing his mind about the diagnosis, then to me, that is another red flag. This pdoc can't make up his mind. It sounds to me like a new pdoc is needed.

I respect your opinion, but this is what I think.  

Also, trust is needed between the pdoc and patient. 

I have a fantastic new pdoc :) i'd love to post it here on how good he is but i am paranoid about people calling him to get me commited

It is a good idea not to post which pdoc it is for the sake of your privacy. It is good that you found a new one. That was..quick. :P

I'm not saying I think alien's pdoc is not raising red flags.

And it does suck when one's trust gets broken.

But you can recover from broken trust.

You can't recover from being dead or making someone else dead.

You can't undo criminal behaviors or behaviors that harm yourself or someone else once they are done.

By not trusting people you are also not allowing them to help you.

And that makes it a lot harder to get better.

Also, if a professional is helping you, they have an obligation by law to protect your safety. When people are willing to work with their providers to manage the risks presented by the mental illness symptoms, it becomes much less likely and unnecessary to compel treatment against someone's will.

I'm not saying I think alien's pdoc is not raising red flags.

And it does suck when one's trust gets broken.

But you can recover from broken trust.

You can't recover from being dead or making someone else dead.

By not trusting people you are also not allowing them to help you.

And that makes it a lot harder to get better.

Also, if a professional is helping you, they have an obligation by law to protect your safety. 

I dont trust people because the last psychiatrist i went to get help... i was taken in police previous night suicide attempt... i was released next day without seeing anyone....

i organised a meeting with my pdoc the red flagged one the idiots one... and i rocked up with police on sight and he said to police borderline is not a mentall illness from now on his off my system i want him charged so that's why i dont trust docs

It sounds like that doc was off his rocker or at least made some decisions that are very, very hard to understand without his side of the story.

But that's no reason to discard ALL docs.

Most of them do have your best interests in mind and are not retaliatory assholes.

If your behavior is dangerous to yourself, and you're not able to voluntarily access help it stands to reason that police would be involved.

It may suck, but that's the way it is.

The one sure way to reduce or eliminate police involvement is to take steps to address your symptoms so nobody is concerned enough that they feel the need to call the police... in other words, aggressively pursue everything that will help you actually get better, and do it voluntarily.

Well the doctor believes i am borderline because he only sees my aggression and depression, he totally ignored everything my parents and family and friends said about me... he just based his opinion on what i said at the time and well i dont say much lol i think it's normal

So yeh... but back on topic :

Why did your parents go to your old pdoc, who seems to have some kind of grudge against you, rather than your current one?

Also, you can be both bipolar and borderline. I am bipolar with some traits of BPD. I don't think waiting to be told which one you have before you will take medication makes much sense.

The same medications are used to treat both conditions, although therapy, especially DBT, is more the cornerstone of treatment for BPD, with meds being used to relieve specific symptoms. 

Are you in touch with your pdoc at the moment? Does having gone off meds mean you've stopped seeing him, too? If you have, it would be good to make an appointment. 

Yeh i told my parents i am staying off medication until i see the pdoc again for advice and yeh the guy up here doesn't have a grudge against me his just useless, i'd say he got his qualifications from a ceriel weetbix packet but that's been too generous cos even those cards hold some meaning lol

You can have bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, anxiety and PTSD all at once.

You can't be "downgraded". Borderline personality disorder is an Axis II disorder and is different from bipolar disorder. Many people have comorbid bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder diagnoses. Unfortunately, many pdocs and tdocs stigmatize borderline personality disorder and it's a pain in the ass and insulting. There has been talk about changing the name of borderline personality disorder, and many with BPD suffer from PTSD, but it's not a "requirement".

We can't diagnose here, though. 

The best thing to do is treat the symptoms, however, you aren't being treated at all, so what does it really matter?

Borderline personality disorder is not criminal. It is a mental illness, same as bipolar disorder, anxiety, PTSD. Some people with BPD are criminals. Some people without BPD are criminals. You are not a criminal for being involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric institution if it comes to that, you are ill and need help. It may seem like they're treating you like that, but you are not a criminal.

Right now you're unmedicated, probably still in withdrawal and obviously unstable as hell. 

The issue right now isn't the diagnosis, but what Wooster said, is that you are still responsible for your actions. A pdoc admitting you involuntarily is not "going against you", it is the pdoc doing their job to keep you and others safe, depending on the circumstances. There are good docs, there are bad docs. If you haven't been seeing a doctor for a while, they may change their mind a lot at first, getting to know you. It's not easy to diagnose mental illness. A broken arm is usually a fairly easy diagnosis. Bipolar, borderline, etc, is not. It can take months, or years, of a relationship.

Your best bet is to ask for help because you know you're struggling. You haven't had a good experience with docs and meds, we get it. It often takes more than one or two tries, but it gets better. It's easier to ask for it than have them make you do it.