CrazyBoards.org

What has been the weirdest symptom you've had?

CookieN, do you mean med. symptom or mental illness symptom?    

Due to the meds, I tend to stumble and almost fall sometimes.  I've learned to learn against chairs and walls until I feel better.    

I've become so manic, I've purchases crazy things on Ebay with no recollection of doing so.   Well, I only know I did after starting to receive things in the mail and checking my paypal account afterwards.   

There are so many symptoms I can't even name all of them I've had over the years; everything kind of runs together in my mind atm.  Part of me can't even tell apart what are symptoms vs regular behavior are for me/

Melissa, I know all to well, or can imagine I do, what you mean about telling about regular behavior or symptoms causing the behavior; I tend to find out only after someone mentions it to me.    It's rough.   

The weirdest symptom.. from the illness, would have been a psychotic break at age 22,  that I can't remember. That's terrifying. 3 months, gone. I remember little snippets, but it was like I wasn't there.. I was observing.

Weirdest med symptom.. Topamax eyelid twitches. I can see my eyelids twitch if I look carefully in the mirror. Dance, eyelids, dance!

Weirdest illness symptom has been some of the hallucinations I've had. Weirdest hallucination I've ever had was rainbow mice jumping on a couch. As well, my eyelids twitch when I'm hypomanic (probably from lack of sleep). 

Weirdest med side effect I've had is... hmmm... Well, Abilify changed me from a salty snack person to a sweet snack person. I used to love salty foods, and now I'm kind of repulsed by them, and all I want to eat is cookies! 

When I first had a psychotic break I got scared my parents would harm me so I ran away from them.  I felt like there were 2 people in me.  A child me that was pulling my adult self along.  I had trouble speaking so I was writing things down. Actually, that's what started it.  My mom insisted I stop writing.

There are others.  It's hard to say what is weirdest.  I saw a giant scale drop through a ceiling, once.

What about you, cookie?  I'm curious what was your weirdest symptom?

Of the more recent variety... I thought my neighbours were intentionally playing their music loud in an attempt to force us to move from the building so their friend below me - also my friend - could move into our suite. In addition to this, I was hearing a muffled TV coming from a shared wall in the living room with a neighbour friend of mine who, surprise surprise, didn't own a television or anything that could make the sounds of a television. I would place my ear to every shared surface trying to find the source of the television. This still happens, the TV thing, but now I have my mum tell me if what I'm hearing is real so that I'm not getting angry with people for things they aren't actually doing.

In my early 20s, I had daymares that the people living above us were going to kill my mother and I would be forced to kill them with the axe I thankfully didn't own. I'd plead with my mother not to go upstairs, but she never knew why it made me so distressed.

The only weird med symptom I have was when I was on a higher dose of Abilify I'd organize and reorganize all the cupboards in the house, all day long, because I had to be physically doing things. Thankfully it stopped once we got down to the minimum dose.

CookieN, do you mean med. symptom or mental illness symptom?

Mental illness symptom

The weirdest symptom.. from the illness, would have been a psychotic break at age 22, that I can't remember. That's terrifying. 3 months, gone. I remember little snippets, but it was like I wasn't there.. I was observing.dance!

I do remember my psychotic break Edited by CookieN

What about you, cookie? I'm curious what was your weirdest symptom?

Ive had many weird symptoms. One was that I was having lunch with a friend when I felt the spirit of a man get into my body and could see through my eyes, I had to fight back to regain my body.

Another one... I was at my appointment with my pdoc listening to what he was saying, when I felt this spirit inside of me that wanted to hit the pdoc. This "external force" was forcing, pushing me to hit him.

Edited by CookieN

• 2 weeks later...

I would say my weirdest was when I got slightly psychotic when I was 15/16. When I was 15, I thought people could read my thoughts. Then over a year later this all happened within 24 hours: I got really weird and one day I ate (literally, I swallowed) a paperclip and a staple. I put broken glass I found in the street in my mouth and spit them at a friend, paranoid I pinned someone up against a fence with a rake. Forgot how to drive a car while driving it. Talked to a tree, took a piece of my neighbors wooden fence up to my room to chew on it and got upset when my mom wanted me to get rid of it. This led to me being in the hospital for almost a month. I still find this all rather amusing.

Definitely my delusions and hallucinations. But the craziest is a combo of both I get. This recurs for me every now and then and never really goes away. Some times I believe the music on the radio comes alive and becomes direct messages to me from God, even the lyrics change specifically to me and I am the only one that can hear them! I then become extremely paranoid thinking either everyone is in on it and waiting for me to surrender or every one is in on it and wants to kill me. I hear a voice that says, "Upon This Rock I shall build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail" which is a quote from the NT. I then start thinking I've been chosen for a special task or assignment. Fighting these thoughts lead to further attacks from dark forces, If I'm not with God then I'm with Satan! And it can get even worse! It can be horrifying. If I smoke weed during this period it becomes so amplified that I totally break from reality.

my weirdest symptom is the bagpipes i've heard playing the same notes almost every day for the last fifteen months.  i'm not psychotic, and i've had an MRI and EEG and there's no evidence of seizures or a tumour or anything like that.  i just spent six weeks in hospital and none of the doctors could figure it out.  thankfully it's a rather harmless symptom, but i really did hope they'd find out the cause so i could get rid of it (antipsychotics don't make the hallucination go away).

wow, these blow mine away. Oh my.

On the weird/not scary scale: Compulsive skin picking on Effexor which may have made me (PROBABLY MADE ME) mildly manic. I have done that TO A DEGREE in the past, but NEVER like that. I mean, an hour and a half at least every single day just on my face. It was completely red and scabbed over everywhere and even with make-up it was apparent I had a real problem with that. I could barely leave the house but I couldn't stop. I had a crazy eye twitch then too, stress+hypomania= crazy skin picking and crazy eye twitch, I guess.

Umm, scary was the weird hallucinations of everything being morphed. That scared the shit out of me. Which I know is nothing but I'd never had that before and I freaked the fuck out. New to me. And the thought of psychosis manifesting as hallucinations had freaked me out from the beginning. So, yeah. hated that. I know it's tiny. I feel bad typing that.

Feeling my body beginning to turn to stone. More specifically, one of those ancient goddess figurines. I can feel my hips and thighs swelling and my hands and arms getting smaller and my face turning to just blurred marks. I have to keep getting up and moving around to stop it happening.

Or feeling like I'm somewhere else other than I am. I remember when I was IP one time I went out for a walk and I couldn't shake the perception that I was actually in a 19th century seaside town. Another time I was sure I was somewhere in Africa. When I was younger I used to live in London but I was frequently convinced I was actually somewhere in Wales.

When I was manic last autumn I had some serious memory blanks as well, which freaked me out pretty badly. I'd come to to find pots broken, or sugar scattered over the kitchen floor and have no idea what had happened. One evening I was visited by the Crisis Team and I have absolutely no memory of what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I woke up at like 3 - 4am because I was so cold. I looked around and it seemed like somebody was at the side of my bed, but I could only make out the outline of them because of the dark. I remember feeling VERY scared of whatever it was, and turning to face the wall but every time I turned around I had thoughts about what it would do to me so I kept facing it. Fucked up experience...I went to sleep eventually and don't really remember it as clearly as most things, though I remember how scared I felt. Never had something like this happen to me before though this maybe why it says 'Early Bipolar Disorder' on all of the sheets the brain people hold when they meet me :/. 

I've had weird symptoms throughout my life. In fact I've had a few recently. One was that a few nights ago I was seeing demons all over my room, some flying over my computer. There are two kinds of demons that I see. One of them is the red ones with horns, the one that most people think of when the word "demons" pops up. But the ones I have been seeing lately are black, evil and powerful. I've heard both demons and angels too. Also aliens. I haven't seen the aliens to my knowledge for awhile, maybe a couple of months. Also, a few weeks ago I had the weirdest experience. I was between two worlds in two different universes. There are many Earths, one in each Universe. Different possibilities in each. But I went out of it (not a dream, but rather in a trance) and I was floating in space. I tried to go to this Earth, even though I come from another. In the one I come from is in 1984 and is far ahead than this Earth. I also see government agents everywhere. They talk to me. Tell me of technologies that don't exist yet, and months later its on the news. I also hear words wrong. When people talk to me (real people, my family that is) I hear different words coming out of their mouths. Same with reading, I see different than what's actually there. I see firebirds in the sky, and once I saw a dragon. I know they are coming, the war. Sometimes I feel controlled. Literally. I have no control over my body at times. I can't talk about everything. I have insight that its weird but its still very real.