CrazyBoards.org

G'day everyone so recently i've started my exercise more frequently, i know a healthy body can lead to as healthy mind so i figured i'd try to take a natural approach to getting myself healthy again

But i have a problem... as always as we all do

On medication my rates were 140/110 Rather high, i wasn't leading a really healthy diet either mind you

Well exercise was a big no no for me... any attempt to run would take the heart rate up to 160...

Well now i'm coming down off medication and i've been getting really bad cramps and tightness and stiffness i still try to exercise just to keep my body fit and loose so to speak but my heart rate goes dangerously high during fitness...

We're talking like anything from 140 wich is ok :) but during high levels of fitness /running up to 180-190!!

Maybe it's normal i cant find much online but do you think coming off medications is putting more pressure on my heart due to symptoms?? should i be only doing light exercise or has my multiple suicide attempts literally flogged my poor heart out and i cant take intense exercise?

just curious

When I ran cross country back in high school, my heart rate sometimes hit 203. A high heart rate is ok for a short amount of time, but not for a prolonged amount of time. 

If you are starting out, start at an easy exercise, like walking for 15 minutes. Then gradually increase either the intensity of the workout or the endurance of the workout. 

If you just rush into exercising, then of course your heart rate will be too high. 

You also might want to wait until your body gets used to being off the meds before you begin an exercise routine. 

Also, please be careful with coming off the meds. Have you talked to a pdoc about it?

Yeh the local pdoc said cold turkey off 1200mg depakote and 100mg pristiq and 10mg thorazine and 0.5mg respiridone and 10mg valium is fine as i've only been on it for about 2 months

Oh ok yeh i might speak to a phys ed trainer at the gym today and see what would suit me best,

Generally  i start off on a slow walk for 5 min then a fast walk for 15 min then i do small jogs in between but i cant jog for long as i am unhealthy the jogging takes my heart rate high to 180 ect.. but if you said you hit 200 then i guess my heart is healthy just my body not as fit lol then i basically do fast walking with light jogs in between and i finish with a slow walk

then i do everything else

Maybe it's normal i cant find much online but do you think coming off medications is putting more pressure on my heart due to symptoms?? should i be only doing light exercise or has my multiple suicide attempts literally flogged my poor heart out and i cant take intense exercise?

IMO, it could be from coming off medications (affecting your heart), but I'm not a DR.  Like CR said, start with light exercise then build up slowly as opposed to rushing into it.

IMO, it could be from coming off medications (affecting your heart), but I'm not a DR.  Like CR said, start with light exercise then build up slowly as opposed to rushing into it.

Yeh ok cool i might just keep my treadmill to a 30 minute light-fast walk today instead.

The rest of the workouts shouldn't affect my heart rate too much though that's all body building stuff lol well i got a long way to go nawwss :(

i've had a lot of respiratory problems from working in dusty environments and old building sites without proper gear as well as suicide attempts have stuffed my lungs, gassing and tubes ect... life support.

It's most Respiratory i am working on getting my lungs healthy so i can get off this puffer every time my lungs clog up

my poor body has copped years of abuse i am trying to repair damage done

Edited by AlienSlayer2013

I used to have sinus tachycardia (fast heart rate) meaning my heart rate was above 100 at rest for no reason. While exercising, it would go up to 180. My blood pressure has always been in the normal-low category (lately it's usually spot on at 120/80) but do note, these change minute by minute. 

There are different burns, and a lot of machines calculate the rate for you. For example, for "Fat burn", your heart beats slower than "Cardio" (or is it the other way around?) 

When I get on an elliptical, or treadmill (I prefer elliptical, its easier on the knees, and more of a workout) I enter my age and weight, and it will read my pulse, and tell me my target heart rate. When I hit it, the machine adjusts the resistance for me to keep my heart beating at that rate. These are machines at gyms that cost a lot of money. You can get pulse monitors you strap onto your arm at stores like Wal-mart for $10 and you can calculate a good heart rate at sites like WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-target-heart-rate-calculator

Here's a more advanced one: http://www.preventdisease.com/healthtools/articles/thr.html

Then you can use the info to keep track of how many calories you're burning. Don't overdo it. It's normal to feel some pain and strain but don't push it. Don't get winded. Carry water or juices, preferably ones with electrolytes like Gatorade. If you do too much too fast you'll tear the shit out your muscles and hurt yourself. Always warm up with a walk, gradually get your heart going to its target range, and keep it there for as long as you want (generally 30-45 min is a good time once you're capable of it), and then cool down, then stretch it out. 

Know your limitations. I can't lift weights, and I have to be cautious with my right arm because of an injury (rotator cuff tear in my shoulder). I know the difference between exercise/training and making the tear worse. I have the benefit of being a 5 minute walk (good warm up until the snowstorms come!) from the local YMCA where I have a membership and I get 8 personal trainer sessions per year, so they can tell me what not to do with my bad arm. You can get small weights to work out at home. When I was IP, we learned different balance and techniques on exercise balls with small weights. Good core exercises. 

Believe it or not, the Nintendo Wii has some kickass "games" for workouts. I found the Wii Fit got in the way and dumbed things down. "The Biggest Loser" was surprisingly a really good one! 

Google carefully. Use sites that are accredited, but there is a lot of good info out there. I am a former competitive athlete: Equestrian, martial arts. Exercise increases endorphins which helps mood, because they're the pleasure centres, and also, if you exercise at night, it'll help you sleep, also with anxiety. When I had bad insomnia, I used to bicycle around the city. I'd rest well.