CrazyBoards.org

Very Upset & Disappointed!

This was my 2nd therapy session with a particular therapist. THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME she talked about how diet will pretty much cure Bipolar. I was outraged. She then managed to say taking klonopin is like drinking a 6 pack of beers. Do any good therapist exist? I have been to many and they all SUCK! I needed help as I have been in a depressive episode and need to discuss some serious problems. Bipolar cannot be cured with diet. And I am not going to stop the klonopin. UGH!

At one time, I was in a session for 15 minutes because my second therapist told me the plan she had for me: hypnotherapy 'to dig deep inside to find my past lives, and ask them what I did wrong'.  Seriously, lady?

A few therapists later I did find one who I could talk to, and agreed on the kind of attention & treatment that I needed.

There are good ones out there :) It does take a lot of time, and a lot of effort, and sometimes a lot of failures. But it's important not to give up! You will find somebody.

This is AWFUL.  You need to keep looking for a good therapist until you find one.  Psychology Today has a database that I think is useful... DO NOT GO BACK TO HER.  Not only is she wrong, her advice is reckless, irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

What a complete moron. I'm sorry you wasted your time/money on her! There needs to be a way to report these frauds and get their licenses yanked.

Keep looking. There are good therapists out there, hidden among the quacks. I hope you find one soon.

Just echoing what previous posters have said ... terrible advice; bipolar can't be cured AFAIK, especially by diet.  It was a waste of time and money too.

I've had 2 therapists (separate from pdoc therapy) that were good ones.  There are good tdocs out there ... keep trying.  I know it can be frustrating though going through a first or 2nd session with someone to only find out they are like this tdoc you saw, more than once.  Sometimes though it can take a bunch of tries for a person to find the right connection with one.

She sounds uninformed..are you certain she had the credentials for this? I know in certain areas many people can claim to be therapists, did she possess any certifications? 

They are very different substances, they may have overlapping resemblances but they are not the same. Benzodiazepines like alcohol, are full-GABA receptor agonists, meaning they enhance the effects of the neurotransmitters GABA, they are both depressants but Klonopin for a legitimate reason is not the same as drinking alcohol especially binge drinking.

Having an unusually large dose of benzodiazepine or abusing any depressant is not the same as taking it for legitimate reasons. Alcohol additionally possess many side effects especially when abused. 

And of course diet can be somewhat beneficial for mental illnesses, BUT IT CANNOT CURE THEM. 

Obviously she is ignorant on the subject, and may lack education. Disregard people who are ignorant of the situation and maintain composure. People, especially ones in pseudo-power situations always have concepts of why they believe they are correct, even when you are well informed on the subject matter yourself.

Edited by Forbidden91

She kept going on and on about how gluten made her sad "blah blah blah" and told me to not take klonopin before sessions so I could feel anxious so we could have something to talk about......???? I couldn't even talk about my problems today because she talked the WHOLE TIME

That is fucked up, IMO. 

If a tdoc/pdoc ever told me to not take a med before an appt so I'd be anxious and so there would be something to talk about, I think I'd flip.  You don't need to be anxious to talk about things.  Actually sometimes being anxious makes me not want to talk because of the anxiety I am having; my mind is just all over the place and the appt is very unproductive.

Maybe the therapist was too direct to begin with but honestly, how can anyone with a brain be "outraged" at someone suggesting they shouldn't be taking a heavy duty benzo ?

My opinion is you probably should try to be more open minded, no one can prove you're bipolar including any psychiatrist. Look at it differently, this psychologist was willing to take a risk on you, they might not know exactly how to help you, but why assume someone pushing drugs does ?

Edited by silentium

Maybe the therapist was too direct to begin with but honestly, how can anyone with a brain be "outraged" at someone suggesting they shouldn't be taking a heavy duty benzo ?

It wasn't that she shouldn't take the benzo all the time; the tdoc specified not to take it before the appt.  Why would the tdoc want the patient to be anxious before an appt?  Wouldn't a tdoc want you calm (if possible) to talk about things?  Personally if I am anxious before an appt my mind is everywhere and I can't focus enough, and the appt is pretty much wasted.  If I am calm and write things down that I want to bring up, it makes it a hell of a lot better.

My opinion is you probably should try to be more open minded, no one can prove you're bipolar including any psychiatrist. Look at it differently, this psychologist was willing to take a risk on you, they might not know exactly how to help you, but why assume someone pushing drugs does ?

How can anyone with a brain think bipolar disorder can be cured by eating better?

Bipolar disorder can be helped, sometimes, by eating better. It's not a cure, but it also doesn't hurt. But also not something you need to be bitched at about. Unless you're taking an assload of Klonopin, I'm pretty sure its not like "a 6 pack of beer". I don't even think "Dr Drew" from "Celebrity Rehab" would consider it that. (why the hell did I just think that?)

I think tdoc's need to stay out of medication unless they have some sort of training. A pdoc prescribes. A tdoc should check to make sure you're taking your meds as prescribed. Or make sure the meds are working the way they should. But never criticize the pdoc's decision on medications, especially on the 2nd appointment. 

I would get rid of that tdoc. Especially if you're paying for her. Is she a dietitian? No. It's out of her bounds. You set the topic, its your time. You work together. 

Good therapists exist! I've had a few. One was through college counselling services. Ask around, word of mouth. Ask your pdoc, or around his office. A tdoc that will work with your pdoc is good. They do NOT have to share info without your permission. You have to sign forms. Call around. Talk on the phone to the therapist. You'll get a bit of a feel. Don't immediately go into diagnosis. Just chat. If you feel off, reconsider.

I hope you will continue to visit the boards and learn more about mental illness, and the treatments for mental illness.

Most people here that are taking benzos need them, as you will find by reading up on them.

Why do you say that no one can prove you're bipolar?  Do you believe MI diagnoses are made up out of thin air, or what?  Your statement is way out of line.  You're correct that there's no objective blood test that can definitively dx bipolar, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist!  You make it sound like psychiatrists are drug pushers with no interest in helping people.

But since most of the more common drugs are generic by this time, how does it benefit a pdoc to prescribe them?  Do you think drug company representatives are supplying pdocs with free samples of generic meds so that the pdocs will prescribe them?  How does that benefit either the drug company or the pdoc?   

Every pdoc I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a few because I move a lot for my job, has been interested in helping me.  They haven't pushed drugs on me, but they have prescribed drugs that have helped me get my life back.  I think you will find that most pdocs are trying to help people, even the not so great pdocs. 

If it wasn't for my meds, I would have killed myself a long time ago. 

Ugh, so frustrating. Don't listen to her, take your meds if you need it. Some people are just ignorant. My tdoc for the longest time would cringe or ask me if there was something else I could do besides taking a Klonopin. I told my pdoc about it, because they talked to each other, and I made it clear that I only took it when I was literally flipping out on people. Eventually she stopped but she was still biting her tongue when I would mention I needed it. She was just very...stuck on natural methods I guess. Eat enough protein, go walking, etc. Okay I know those are good things to do but it doesn't change the fact that I'm freaking out and occasionally need a Klonopin! I'm not doing therapy right now but I've already decided I'm trying someone else next time. It's not helpful to your recovery to have to justify your decision to take the meds your pdoc has prescribed to you!

Like thesystemisdown said, a tdoc has no business telling you what meds you should and shouldn't take.  Its fine for them to discuss options, but telling you that klonopin is "like a 6 pack of beer" is irresponsible at best.  She clearly does not understand benzos.  And I do not agree with silentium saying you shouldn't be outraged by a tdoc saying your shouldn't be taking a "heavy duty benzo".  Many of us on CB take these "heavy duty benzos" b/c they are vital to our care.

Of course its good to keep an open mind when seeing a tdoc, but there's also a time to say, "this ain't right, I'm outta here".  I think that time has come.

I have been IP 4 times. I have overdosed once. I have experienced many SEVERE manic episodes. I have SEVERE debilitating anxiety. The klonopin which is ONLY .5 mg 2-3 times daily, has saved me during chaotic work shifts, manic episodes, agitation, rage, and anxiety. She was not a psychologist. She was not taking a risk on me...she is ignorant and probably forces her opinion on all her patients...she told me how gluten free helped her sadness. Good for her. I am not gluten sensitive. I do not have celiac disease. My mother is gluten free. I am a very open minded person. But I needed help when I walked in there and got nothing. I did not get to talk about anything that I needed to and it was MY therapy session. Not her "let me push my lifestyle on a very vulnerable new client." Why would I EVER want to go back to see someone who doesn't even allow me to speak of my problems for one second. I PAY FOR ALL OF MY SESSIONS. I deserve to be listened to and respected!