CrazyBoards.org

Will they *eventually* ban smoking all together?

In Australia about a year ago they introduced plain packaging cigarettes. As of May next year cigarettes will be banned in Australian jails. As of then end of 2016 cigarettes prices will rise by $5.

Do you guys think they will "eventually" ban cigarettes in Australia all together?

Considering how much tax there is on cigarettes, it's possible the government is too dependant on that income to ban smoking. 

Honestly, even though goes against my beliefs about freedom, I would be happy if they banned tobacco. I think I'd be able to quit then. 

Didn't they ban alcohol a while ago and the rates of people drinking were at there highest coz they just smuggled it in...

Prohibition in the US led to widespread moonshining, organized crime, and illegal speakeasies. 

Honestly, even though goes against my beliefs about freedom, I would be happy if they banned tobacco. I think I'd be able to quit then.

I believe we will all die "anyway". I see no point being free of substances and being a vegatable at 90 years of age...

Considering how much tax there is on cigarettes, it's possible the government is too dependant on that income to ban smoking. 

<snip>

I agree completely. I believe that smokers contribute much more to the economy in tax than they take away from illness or whatever (especially if you live somewhere where you pay for treatment). Also, I think the bootlegging or smuggling argument from hagar running is valid too, especially seeing how many of the packets are apparently got to stores through dodging tax anyway.

Yes I can imagine one day paying $50 for just one packet of cigarettes.

Also this whole "make the price so high" so no one can afford it is a bit stupid. Why? The price of everything from food to petrol always is going up.

Yes welfare payments now are doubled from 10 years ago.

The expense does making being a smoker suck more, but it also just makes life harder in general. I don't think it's fair considering addiction is a disease. It's just bullying and preying on the weak. Society is supposed to support the sick, not make things harder for them.

I love smoking and would hate to give it up but are we taking life for granted? Really, the risk of cancer? Lung cancer is a slow inevitable painful death.

If they DIDN'T increase the price I would be smoking double. In the end it's in our best interests.

Smoking brings in a lot of money for the government.. they raise prices, people pay them. Nicotine is a cbitch to stop. It took me quite a few relapses to stop, and I was a (as said by doctors) "light" smoker at a half pack a day. It's one of those things you crave for life. Tobacco is illegal to grow unless you meet certain criteria, at least in Canada. 

If they make it illegal, it goes underground, and becomes a black market. There's so much shit in the cigarettes sold at corner stores. Now cigarettes are harder to get: "ID under 40" at some stores. What the hell, smoking age is 19! (I can't even buy a lighter without getting carded at some places, and I'm 29. Excuse me, but lighters aren't only for smokers) They cannot show cigarettes in stores, you have to ask for your brand. They can't tell you what brands they have. But they raise prices, put grosser pictures on packs, and more people smoke.

One thing that pisses me off is that they also raise the prices of stop-smoking aides in pharmacies. A pack of nicotine gum is really expensive. I knew a guy that smoked that stuff for over 3 years, he couldn't quit. Normal gum didn't do it. 

IMHO they're going to piss smokers off more and more, charge them more and more, but people are still going to smoke. My dad's 69, been smoking since he was 13, he's not going to stop. Just ask him. 

One thing that pisses me off is that they also raise the prices of stop-smoking aides in pharmacies. A pack of nicotine gum is really expensive. I knew a guy that smoked that stuff for over 3 years, he couldn't quit. Normal gum didn't do it. 

in aus they are pbs/gov subsidised

the "cost to tax payers" they put out there tends to factor in dying young = 10-20 years you'd otherwise be employable earning median wage and paying federal taxes, it's not just the cost of medical bills

the big bust of illegally imported stuff recently was a bitch, such a shame government mandates that illegal tobacco suppliers MUST sell loose leaf, not just tailors wouldn't do much :( i hate filters, give me straight up, roll your own lung busters any day x about 70 a day

churr

Yeah, no.

I have no idea where you got this idea, but I can assure you beyond a shadow of any doubt that "welfare payments" (not quite sure what you think that is, btw - SNAP? TANF? LIHEAP? SSDI? UI? All of the above?) are NOT double from 10 years ago.

Also, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I do think it's hinky that the gov't makes so much money on tobacco products. It's easy prey, as someone else mentioned, because it's an addiction so even if they prices are raised, people who smoke will still buy them. Interesting that we don't see similar taxes on alcohol; I'm curious as to how much money is spent on alcohol related illnesses vs. smoking related illnesses. I don't know at all, but I'd guess they are pretty close if you take everything (alcohol poisoning, liver damage, liver transplants, etc) into account.

they should ban chewing gum IMO, vile stuff

it's hard to compare smoking to other things though, 1 beer isn't bad for you. 1 six pack isn't bad for everyone, but 1 cig, or 1 pack of durries are

here [aus] there has been talk of a 'fat tax' to tax junk food, a 'bottle tax', i can't remember the name, but a cheap plonk tax, so cheap wine is taxed more than grange, kinda on the same lines as the above welfare talk that the non-valid citizens have the biggest issues so should be priced out of drinking

Alcohol is taxed before you pay for it here (Meaning, they don't add it on at the till). Drinking at a restaurant or bar is really damned expensive. When I go for a nice dinner and order a fancy drink, I'll pay for it because it's a treat. More often than not, I'll get a pop or a fancy non alcohol drink because I'm driving and our DUI laws have changed so mouthwash will get your license suspended for 24 hours now. Smoking is more of a habit.  It's hard to have one cigarette one occasion. (Though I did have a friend who did just that!) 

They should supply quit-smoking aides for free. When I was IP, they gave patients the nicotine patch or inhalers at no cost. Patients with privileges could go off unit and smoke, but it was between 7:30am-9:30pm every hour on the 1/2 hour. Telling smokers when they can smoke is torture, as an ex-smoker. Some had e-cigs, surprisingly enough, but they had to supply them, the nurses even charged them at night. They even let them "smoke" them inside. 

Welfare does NOT pay for cigarettes. I've seen people have welfare cut because they've bitched it doesn't pay for their smoking. A common story is someone complains to welfare that they need more money on their cheque because cigarettes went up again, and welfare takes money off because it isn't a necessity. Welfare has gone up because the price of living (groceries, rent) has gone up. 

I think the number of people smoking is going down, which is good. I've noticed that lately, more people have quit, or are quitting. I quit to see if I could, and I saved a lot of money. Now all my doctors congratulate me. (Really? They should congratulate people that never started!) I don't think banning it is a good idea. Prohibition never is. People will find a way, and it will probably be more dangerous. Maybe in a few generations it will drop dramatically.

Yeah, no.

I have no idea where you got this idea, but I can assure you beyond a shadow of any doubt that "welfare payments" (not quite sure what you think that is, btw - SNAP? TANF? LIHEAP? SSDI? UI? All of the above?) are NOT double from 10 years ago.

Also, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I do think it's hinky that the gov't makes so much money on tobacco products. It's easy prey, as someone else mentioned, because it's an addiction so even if they prices are raised, people who smoke will still buy them. Interesting that we don't see similar taxes on alcohol; I'm curious as to how much money is spent on alcohol related illnesses vs. smoking related illnesses. I don't know at all, but I'd guess they are pretty close if you take everything (alcohol poisoning, liver damage, liver transplants, etc) into account.- I'm in aus. When I mean welfare. I mean Centrelink. Disability Support Pension in the last year has increased by $80...

- - Umm.. Where do you live? The price of alcohol has definately increased.... Lolly water in Australia has definitely increased. A pack of 4 Voda cruisers wil cost $15 - $17 depending where u buy them. Where as 10 years ago they were something $10 or less??

Edited by happy2beyoung

I'm in the USA. I still find it hard to believe that welfare payments have doubled in 10 yrs - most countries have a COL (cost of living) increase, but since many economies have been in the tank for the past several years, those increases have been miniscule.

Alcohol prices haven't changed much at all in the USA in the last 10 years, maybe a dollar or two. And I don't think it's tax related, just standard inflation. The federal gov't here regulates tobacco & alcohol (labeling requirements, who has the right to sell, age to buy/consume, etc) but individual states control the taxes for both. Those have definitely doubled in some states in the past 10 years - it always makes the news when there's an increase. But I've never seen the same coverage or concerns around alcohol, other than the drinking age.

Smoking doesn't kill straight away. Cancer takes years to develop while someone could drink too much and end up in a deadly brawl or drive and get in an accident.

Alcohol can kill too and can be fatal.

In Australia there is way too much focus on cigarettes and wow the amount of tax we pay. The Government would lose millions(?) if they banned it all together.

Some people are of the opinion that increasing taxes on cigarettes is only fair because smokers have higher health care costs and are more likely to need publicly funded or subsidized health care. 

The other theory about increasing prices is that every time prices go up, some people will quit. Eventually cigarettes might be so expensive that most current smokers will have quit.

I'm not saying either of these ideas bear out in practice, just some of the theory behind them.

The Australian government is also spending lots of money on health care for the people with chronic illnesses as a result of tobacco use.

I moved this thread to "News and Politics" because it has nothing to do with substance abuse support.