CrazyBoards.org

I had previously posted about conversations in head, sometimes I talk to them. The voices. I have also been increasingly paranoid. At work I started saying to people "stop talking about me." When I walk away for a second. I was previously diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder before I dropped all psychiatric care...overdosed...and started  going back to my gdoc no pdoc. Now I have an appt. set with a pdoc. But I am unwell. I feel I have to wait so long to be seen. I doubt gdoc can help me with anything more than mood disturbance. I had pdocs and IP stays telling me schizoaffective. But gdoc thinks BP because I have not told her about the voices/paranoia.

Some more thoughts:

You could check out the Hearing Voices Network  http://www.hearing-voices.org/  Maybe they will have some ideas.

You could see a tdoc to try to learn coping skills

There are plenty of antipsychotics and there are probably some that are less likely to cause akathesia

I hope you feel better soon

Did your dr say that voices in your head or conversations was indeed "hearing voices"? I'm just curious to know if he thought that was what you were experiencing. My dr always asks if it is inside or outside your head. I don't think he believes in people hearing a voice or conversation in their heads as the actual symptom of "hearing voices."

But many people on here say that they hear voices in their head. Their drs must believe that voices only inside of your head is "hearing voices."

What is the difference then? Doesn't everyone hear voices or thoughts in their heads that are not really always in their control? Like some random things pops in that reminded you of something else or somehow a thought or memory popped into your head in a voice that is in your head?

I want to know the difference. I'd ask my pdoc but he only believes in outside voices being "hearing things." I will do some research maybe here. I just don't understand what hearing voices actually means I guess.

Both are annoying as hell. Hearing things outside my head scares me much more though personally. I just freeze and listen. It's very scary. They tell me bad things. Or sometimes it is just jibberish that I can't make out 100%.

The voices in my head though are different. I can't control them either. They have conversations too. "you are fat." "at least I exercise." "you're still very fat." "STOP IT!" Is that what your conversations are like to some extent?

ETA: I did some researching really quickly and it seems like you can have both. Why is my pdoc trying to be so dismissive of the other kind I wonder? I learn so much from CB. Thank goodness!

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

D? Doesn't everyone hear voices or thoughts in their heads that are not really always in their control? Like some random things pops in that reminded you of something else or somehow a thought or memory popped into your head in a voice that is in your head !

I dont think everyone hear voices or thoughts that they cannot control. I dont hear voices.

Edited by CookieN

Did your dr say that voices in your head or conversations was indeed "hearing voices"? I'm just curious to know if he thought that was what you were experiencing. My dr always asks if it is inside or outside your head. I don't think he believes in people hearing a voice or conversation in their heads as the actual symptom of "hearing voices."

But many people on here say that they hear voices in their head. Their drs must believe that voices only inside of your head is "hearing voices."

What is the difference then? Doesn't everyone hear voices or thoughts in their heads that are not really always in their control? Like some random things pops in that reminded you of something else or somehow a thought or memory popped into your head in a voice that is in your head?

I want to know the difference. I'd ask my pdoc but he only believes in outside voices being "hearing things." I will do some research maybe here. I just don't understand what hearing voices actually means I guess.

Both are annoying as hell. Hearing things outside my head scares me much more though personally. I just freeze and listen. It's very scary. They tell me bad things. Or sometimes it is just jibberish that I can't make out 100%.

The voices in my head though are different. I can't control them either. They have conversations too. "you are fat." "at least I exercise." "you're still very fat." "STOP IT!" Is that what your conversations are like to some extent?

ETA: I did some researching really quickly and it seems like you can have both. Why is my pdoc trying to be so dismissive of the other kind I wonder? I learn so much from CB. Thank goodness!

I just hear voices its like in my head and sometimes outside my head. Either way I would consider it psychosis. Also my paranoid thoughts and delusions make the voices worse or feed into them. Its a chain reaction

Hey guys - just to add that my paranoia makes the voices worse, both in and out of my head... but then again, I don't even know what to believe - I'll hear conversations going on outside, and feeling paranoid just seems to make what they're saying sound like they're talking bad about me... but then again, maybe they are actually saying such bad things about me.

Hey guys - just to add that my paranoia makes the voices worse, both in and out of my head... but then again, I don't even know what to believe - I'll hear conversations going on outside, and feeling paranoid just seems to make what they're saying sound like they're talking bad about me... but then again, maybe they are actually saying such bad things about me.

I feel the exact same way. You're not alone

I was taking an AAP for manic symptoms but it gave me severe akathesia ....so now my gdoc says we will never use an AAP again. That leaves me with nothing for my symptoms until I see a pdoc who is willing to help

Not taking an AAP doesn't mean there are no other options. What about the older APs? Perphenazine is the one I've taken off and on over the years. I get no side effects from it at all. There are a bunch of older APs--Haldol, Thorazine, Navane, and more. Those are the ones I can remember right now, there are more. 

I have internal and external voices that I can't control, but there is a 3rd component, like you mentioned, about a random thing popping into you head to, ie, remind you of something.  This happens to me too.  The only way I can tell the difference is when I have the random thought, it will come and go pretty fast, and my brain doesn't continue dialogue that I can't stop (like it does when I am hearing the internal/external voices).

I have internal and external voices that I can't control, but there is a 3rd component, like you mentioned, about a random thing popping into you head to, ie, remind you of something.  This happens to me too.  The only way I can tell the difference is when I have the random thought, it will come and go pretty fast, and my brain doesn't continue dialogue that I can't stop (like it does when I am hearing the internal/external voices).

Thanks for clarifying Melissa. :)