CrazyBoards.org

Auditory Hallucinations and Sleep Paralysis?

For the last several night I have been experiencing the strangest things while sleeping. In fact I can't even tell that I am sleeping while this is going on. I hear things that once fully awake in the morning I know couldn't possibly have been real.But these things are terrifying while they are happening.

Last night as well as the hearing things, I was "seeing" things as well. In fact I had fallen asleep on the couch, "woke up" and saw a man sitting at the end of the couch. The man did not say anything..he just sat there looking at me. This was not someone I recognized. I am not sure how to explain how terrifying this was. I know now that I was dreaming..there was not a man in my house but that does not change the fear I felt.

Last night was the worst this has been. I feel as though I never actually slept at all. I thought that I was awake as I was "hearing" and "seeing" numerous things. It seemed to last all night.

This afternoon I googled (not the smartest..I know) what I experienced and came up with Auditory Hallucinations and Sleep Paralysis. I am not familiar with either of these things, in fact did not know what they were until earlier today. I am not really sure what could be causing this or if it is dangerous. In fact I am not even sure that is what I am experiencing..those were just the only things I found that seemed to fit.

I called and made an appointment with my t/p-doc (same person). I will be seeing her first thing Monday morning. But I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on what possibly causes this, what you can do about this, mostly I am concerned that this could be dangerous to me or those around me in some way.

I apologize for being rather long winded..finding it hard to make sense on so little real sleep.

I've had sleep paralysis before. I tend to get it when I'm overtired and sleep deprived and not sleeping enough. It can be terrifying! Especially if you don't know what's going on. But you can't hurt anyone (primarily because you are functionally paralyzed, hence the fear).

I get sleep paralysis too. I'm half awake half asleep and totally aware of my actual surrounding of my bedroom but can not physically move my body at all, I'm frozen. For all practical purposes it can be compared to a hallucination because the dream blends with the real and you can't tell them apart. I hear voices see things etc. I had a really bad dream where I was getting beat up pretty bad by a evil spirit. I actually felt myself being levitated off my bed, Spin around and smashed against my wall repeatedly several times until I was finally able to move which broke the dream, I was out of breath and sweating.

I've had sleep paralysis many times (mostly in times of high anxiety and/or depression), and almost always see figures and hear voices when it's happening (once I even saw a guy I knew hovering over me in bed). It's really, really scary, but pretty common I believe. I don't think there's any chance of hurting yourself or someone else while it's happening, and like you said, once it's over you quickly realize what you were seeing/hearing weren't real.

This has happened to me also ... woke up and "saw" a rabid dog right next to my bed barking (which was what woke me up).  I was overnight at my parents' house that night, and I went to yell out to my father and nothing would come out of my mouth ... like my vocal chords wouldn't move.  I couldn't say one word.  The only way I got the fucking image and barking to finally go away and stop was to come to terms that if I die then it was my time, and I eventually fell back to sleep, waking up ok.  But damn, it was scary.

I've only had auditory and visual hallucinations on a few occasions. But those freak me the fuck out. I'm sorry you have to deal with this shit too.

I get the "i can't tell if I'm awake or asleep" thing all the fucking time though. I don't know what's real. I think the hallucinations I have are tactile. Like I'll THINK I've moved my knee up to my stomach to scratch my legs (they itch soooo bad) but then when I REALLY wake up or kinda wake up, rather, I can NOT move my knee. No fucking way. I have to force my eyelids open and many times I feel as though that's what I was doing the entire time I was sleeping.

And everything looks just as it should during these things- my house, anyway. I AM where I am sleeping if it's a dream.

I saw a man by my bedroom window once, scared the fucking shit out of me. Ugh. He was just a shadow-man lurking by the window, NOT like yours, holy fuck I would have lost it. Ugh.

Either way, I told my p-doc and they have me going for a sleep study for narcolepsy in February (that was the earliest one the neurologist had, pffft. I want this resolved NOW) which really shocked me because I can count the times I have fallen asleep without effort or intent on one hand. He said that wasn't necessary to have it. He REALLY thinks that's it. Guess I'll find out.

Hopefully you can see one too? I don't know anything about it other than what my p-doc said, but he thinks with me it very likely is a neurological issue. I'm also ALWAYS tired, lethargic, apathetic and we need to rule out neurological issues because I GUESS that's really bothering him before he medicates depression or something. Whatever.

Either way, hopefully you get it resolved. Shit sucks.

• 2 months later...

I experience Sleep Paralysis too.  It happens almost every night, sometimes multiple times in a night.  It started about 6 months ago, and after weeks of nightly terrors, someone advised me to try zzzQuil to see if that would work.  It did work for a few weeks, and then, quite suddenly, it stopped working.  And now it's worse than before. 

Last night I experienced something different, though.  As I was drifting off to sleep, my entire body went numb, like pins and needles, and I began hearing this swelling, harp-like music in my head.  It got so loud at one point that it seemed to rattle my head.  Each time I started to drift off to sleep, this happened, and each time, I shook myself back awake.  It was almost like a pulling feeling- like the Sleep Paralysis was pulling me in.  So then, along with the auditory hallucinations, I began to see things, like my bedroom door opening, or shadows that looked like people standing in corners of the room.  I was in tears after a while of this, because I was so tired, and so frustrated, and just wanted to go to sleep. 

I have never felt terror like I feel with the Sleep Paralysis.  Because it's a nightly occurrence, I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to go to bed, and so I stay up really late.  And I have to get up early to get my daughter to school and get to work.  I'm sure my exhaustion contributes to the problem, so it's a vicious cycle.  I haven't seen a doctor yet, because I don't have insurance.  I will have insurance through my job in the next couple of weeks, and plan on going to a doctor immediately. 

Have any of you found anything that lessens the problem at all?  I'm desperate at this point!  It's the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, no doubt.

Annalee729,

Hello and welcome to Crazyboards.  Good to also see you in chat :)

I ask all new members to read the User Agreement.  You may have read it when you signed up, and if you did--you're all set.

Let any of us mods know if we can help you with anything.

-chem

I have not found anything that makes it any better (not that I would recommend. Surely I sleep well and without incident after many beers, but this can't be a frequent thing) 

I've read repeatedly on this to see if people found anything to help and finding that most people who suffer from it frequently don't find anything that helps is depressing. I don't know. I'm exhausted a lot too. I don't get scared TOO often anymore. But I also don't have terrifying, vivid hallucinations either. Only a handful of times so I'm pretty lucky.

Last night though, I remember having a dream about a red gas can.

Then I woke up in my bedroom and gasped and all the air I breathed in smelled like gasoline so badly I started coughing and couldn't breathe for a second. It was so fucking weird. To SMELL something? I only panicked for a second because as soon as I took a breath, the smell wasn't there and then I basically rolled over and went back to sleep, just what the fuck was that though? Ugh. Now I've had every single kind.

I guess I only panic for a split second because I am generally good at recalling that my brain fucking hates me and this isn't real. I guess I'm lucky. I just never feel well rested pretty much. Sigh.

• 10 months later...

I've unfortunately experienced this many times. There's ALWAYS an evil presence or the feeling of one when this happens to me. I've done lots of research about it because its extremely troubling &...scary? From what I've researched it happens in a certain stage of the REM cycle. Your body has paralyzed itself in a certain stage to "protect" itself from movements & such if you happen to dream. The problem we're all having is that our MIND wakes in this stage of REM before our bodies do, so we're literally paralyzed while our mind is awake & running wild. It says you "hallucinate" and/or hear things because your mind isn't thinking rationally in the moment. All you know is that you're awake but you can't move, talk, scream etc So you freak out...naturally. Research says typically the things you're most afraid of will be the things you see & hear in those moments that seem like forever. Which is true for me:I always see/hear demonic, evil presences which is a legit fear of mine. I read the only thing that really helps is trying to take control of your mind, which is hard to do. But I've been able to on multiple occasions. When its happening I have to make myself think & say over & over in my mind, "calm down, this isn't real, you WILL wake up." Just keep repeating in your mind & it has helped me. It happens most in times of high stress. Hope this helps a little & that its resolved for most of you!

P.S. has anyone taken Trazodone & noticed it happens more then?