CrazyBoards.org

A fair description?

Mccmac

I read somewhere the other day that you can cure physical illness but only recover from mental illness. The difference being that a mental illness can remain latent within someone, only to be triggered again, later down the line. Does this sound reasonable to most?

I posted this because I pulled out of a 22 month battle with psychosis about 3 years ago but can't quite seem to do it. I've tried at great length to understand this and have noticed that the issues which triggered it are part of my personality, and pushed me into a psychotic episode. Thankfully, I have only ever had one of those (that was enough) but it also feels like I cannot free myself from the aftermath of all that happened. Would someone like to comment on this? It's taken some doing just to write that, I'd love to hear someone's thoughts.

ty

My psychiatrist told me that my bipolar disorder cannot be cured, only managed.  So, although I'm on a mostly good cocktail of medication at the moment, all we are doing is managing symptoms... and even when I have months of stability on a particular combination of meds, it's still possible to destabilise and require more or different treatment.

I'm not a scientist, so I can't tell you anything in clinical terms, but as I understand it, the bottomline is that at this point in time there is no cure for mental illness.  That's not to say that there won't be one at some point in the future, but medical science hasn't gotten there yet. So yes, unfortunately it is indeed possible to have relapses or become symptomatic after periods of latency, because right now the underlying cause of our symptoms can't be cured.

I'd say that not all physical illness can be cured, either. Diabetes can be managed, but not cured, for example. Or maybe you had chicken pox as a kid and get a flare of shingles when you get older.

I don't see MI as being any different from that. Which, yes. That we should be vigilant. But we should be vigilant about our body's health as well. If our body is showing signs of illness we go to a doctor. Why wouldn't that stand true with our mental states?

I look at my BP the same way I look at my cancer Dx or my liver disease. I need to be monitored. All the damn time. Would I have picked to have had any of these if I'd had the chance? Hell, NO! It is, what it is. For me, vigilance is a requirement. So, there is no cure (oddly enough, I hope to beat the cancer but there is no cure for the other two). Does that mean I have to curl up and die? Again, Hell, NO! I do what I can. I take my meds. I go to my appointment. I try to take care of myself. That's all any of us can do. When you catch things early, you've got a better chance of getting them under control. You learn the warning signs and you watch for them. It's sort of like that Whack-A-Mole game. If you can pound it on the head and get it to go back where it was, you win! 

I read somewhere the other day that you can cure physical illness but only recover from mental illness. The difference being that a mental illness can remain latent within someone, only to be triggered again, later down the line. Does this sound reasonable to most?

I believe you can't cure MI, just manage symptoms, as miab said; as well as you can't cure some physical illnesses, just manage symptoms as Rosie said.  They both can be managed.  I think the difference is that some physical illnesses can be cured, as opposed to no MI's.

I'm not sure I believe that you can't cure any MI. At least not as a *never* statement. I used to have anxiety/panic attacks. I haven't had one in well over 30 years. The way I see it, if I've gone that long then it's pretty much cured as far as I'm concerned.