CrazyBoards.org

I just got this diagnosis two weeks ago. It explains a lot stuff that I've done and that has happened to me. I also got BPD. I took a test at the hospital about two weeks ago. I'm waiting for the results to get a more precise diagnosis. I that I was schizoprenic or something. So I guess I'm not too bad at diagnosing myself. Anyone else in a same on similar situation like me (waiting for the results)?

I think diagnosis is very important. I took some test with about 200 questions, talked to psychologist looked at some pictures. Some test where you put puzzles and one where you answer questions and one where you draw. I don't know the names.The doctors change my dianosis a lot, and meds too.

Edited by Borderline Micky

Thanks. Yes, dx is important if it affects treatment. And, it was a relief for me to have something that seemed to fit my symptoms. Do you know when you will get results? Are you new to getting treatment? My meds changed a lot at first but then they were consistant for years.  Now, my pdoc is adjusting the dosage some but I'm staying on the same ones.

I took a test like that too, but it was the WAIS (intelligence test). I also took the MMPI (a 567 question personality test). I took these tests when I was being tested for ADHD and mathematics disorder, but they confirmed my craziness too. My results confirmed that I go through periods of depression, anxiety and psychosis. 

It is kind of torture waiting for the results. But, try to be patient. Hopefully this will help them come up with a good diagnosis for you. Ultimately though, it's treating the symptoms that matters most. Do you feel your medications are helping? 

I hope you get your results soon and that you feel better. Sometimes getting a diagnosis can be very comforting. At least, that's how I feel. 

I too took the WAIS (that intelligence test...I didn't do so well! My MI has really interfered with my IQ. I used to be smart I swear. And I thought I did well on that test. But she said since I was so psychotic and depressed, the test results showed I scored in the low range. I couldn't focus and words on the paper seemed to not make any sense and were jumping out at me. Nothing made sense. I got really confused.)

I also took the MMPI (the 500 something question personality/MI test). It confirmed that I have SZA. I scored high on the depression, mania, and schizophrenic parts (I was paranoid and hearing voices, etc.). I was "only" diagnosed with bipolar I and anxiety and OCD. Then after the results came back from that test they were surprised because it looked like someone with schizophrenia would score. But they knew I had very heavy bipolar components to my illness as well from the very long stay and observation/therapy/groups. So...my diagnosis changed to SZA bp type (along with the rest of those things). I felt validated. Kind of like it was somewhat "proof" that I had MI and had SZA. Even though I didn't agree with the diagnosis at first and kept saying I was "just" bipolar instead. I had worked so hard to accept the bipolar diagnosis. I didn't want to have to accept something different. But I eventually did accept that I have SZA.

These were both provided for me by the state hospital. That place sucks so bad, but it did me a lot of good. They were able to monitor me for a long time and see what my true diagnosis is.

Anyways, I hope you get your results soon. It can be a huge relief, yet scary too if you get a new diagnosis. And I agree that treating symptoms is very important too.

I took the MMPI and was diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder in 2008. I agree with the diagnosis.. I don't know what to say about it.. having bipolar disorder dominates more.. a lot of the same meds in treatment.. I always had the "schiz?" component in my diagnosis, they didn't know if it was schizophrenia, schizoaffective, etc... and they ruled it down to schizotypal personality disorder. It's not heard of a lot.

The main component for me is that I'm "eccentric". I took it as a compliment.

I have been on meds for 1,5 years now. First they gave me mixed personality disorder, then some non-organic disorder similar to schizoprenia,then BPD and now this. The doctors said that I will get the results by the end of the week. Oh and my current meds are helping but yesterday I was depressed and then took about 10-20 pills and had an epiletpic atack. But I'm fine now. I will continue to take the drugs regulary and hope that I don't  get those kind of ideas anymore.

Edited by Borderline Micky