CrazyBoards.org

To do lists.

Does anyone else make 'to do lists'? 

I call mine my functional to do list, because whatever I put on it usually relates to trying to function normally. It's usually stuff like do the dishes, pick up dirty clothes, call this person, review bills, check food status etc. Nothing too strenuous and it was working really well.

It was suggested by my doc that I put 2 things on the list, then after a couple of weeks add another etc. 5 is the ideal amount because its not too overwhelming, then if you're hitting the 5 every day you can consider putting a couple of other points on... although you can break tasks into smaller chunks if you're the person that gets a thrill from crossing things off of lists.

Only I've found that I'm sticking more and more on the list, because I make it the night before I'm also carrying on things that I didn't finish that day.

So what seemed like a great idea, and really REALLY worked at first, is now turning into a game where I feel like I'm completely hopeless because I'm only crossing 2/3 items off my list, and my list is growing and growing because I'm finding things that I really need to get done, and really want to get done, and I just don't have the energy to do it all in one day. 

Does anyone else do this? 

I like this idea, personally.

I have somewhat tried it in the past. I had a schedule book. I wrote a few things I wanted to get done in it every day. I kind of failed at it though. I would like to get it going again though. I got my daily planner at the dollar store, so you can get them cheap if you don't want to invest money into it.

I make a lot of lists. I like them.

I'll make to do lists, pro's and con's lists..  It is a good idea.

ETA: Sometimes I make lists so I don't have too much on my plate.

Edited by thesystemisdown

I love lists. I like to make lists and then update them. I have long gotten past looking at a list and seeing how little I've checked off because my thought is, just make a new list that works better! I have been known to put things on my list I've already done for the ready check mark. I have a love affair with lists.

I have definitely had lists get out of hand. What I've found helps is to a) put less on each list and b) only carry over what I am pretty sure I can do that next day. Also, really fer real, start a new and shorter list if you put too much on a list. I make my lists by day- so I may make lists for the week, but try to only put down for each day what I can actually do.

I used to hold onto lists and keep adding to them, but that's overwhelming, so I am now good at scrapping old lists and making new ones.

I make to-do lists, but it gets to the point where I think every little tiny detail has to go on the list and I am taking out my list every 5 seconds to write something on it. I am the same way about writing daily schedules or anything else that's supposed to be a memory aid. just posted a thread kinda about it in NOS actually. but yeah...it gets really out of hand. I know lists are supposed to be healthy...and I just realized this topic actually gave me a really good idea for something to work on with tdoc (learning how to make healthy non-obsessive to-do lists)...so thanks!

Does anyone else do this?

I love love love lists!  I make them all the time, especially on post-it notes, so when I do something I can throw that note away.  I also have a calendar day-timer that my life is in.  I use it for everything, and bring it with me wherever I go to write things down.

I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief reading all the list-adventures people seem to have. I lose them too Angel, and usually find them behind sofa cushions or under something.

I tend to make them on my phone now., I have an app for android, I really don't know what it is called but the icon is a little brush haha it lets you customise some ready made lists. I think it's mainly for cleaning but I have customised it so I have house list and a me list which works well because I can't lose it. I just forget to look at it sometimes. It sets reminders too which I thought was cool at first, but now I get annoyed and accuse my phone of rushing me.

The smaller list thing is key and you're right, the only way that is going to happen is by getting rid of the big old list and starting anew.

I love starting new lists.

Sad when I get more excited about re-writing a list than the rest of my day.  :D

I use spreadsheets on google docs, so involved conditionals etc can be done on pc, but easy to access through the google drive app

i usually go by months rather than days, with some specific dates thrown in

and google calendar for appointments syncs to my phone and gmail account

I'm not sure, money is an issue at the moment (and an excuse) I keep thinking 'I'd like to do that' but then I can't because I can't afford it. In reality I struggle to find something and stick at it when it comes to hobbies. I can make jewellery out of polymer clay and I am okay at it, but I tire of it pretty easily. I love photoshop too so I tend to edit my drawings on there a lot. And I write fiction. 

I think my project shall be getting more chapters written on my book. And then perhaps start drawing book related illustrations and photoshop the beans out of them :-)

I use lists because for me, I can only have so much information nagging at my brain before anxiety sets in. For me, a list is getting a concern out my head and onto paper, where I can do it when it suits me. My system is:

I have a daily planner, which I use to schedule appts and keep record of things I need to remember for work. I use it to record when I get my welfare payments and once a fortnight, I look at the coming month and plan what I have going on. For me, pacing my energy and making sure I build rest time into my day means that the planners work for me more for making time to myself. Like I have taken today to rest at home because I looked in my planner next week and I have a lot going on.

When I have written down my appts and plans, I can assess whether I am giving to much to other people, whether I can keep the things I promised I would do and look at how my health might be in the next few months. For my bipolar, I know I get low in December, so I planned November to be calmer.

I have a calender, which I use to record peoples birthdays, my social plans, anything fun. I might draw on some days there to rest or relax. I often use that to represent 'my time' as opposed to the things I have to do like work, pay bills etc.

I have a pinboard by my front door. Any bits of paper I need to keep from my purse or any mail to read is pinned on there for when I have the brain space to deal with it. I have a whiteboard in my hallway, when I come home from work I dump all the things whizzing around my head there.  have a chair by my door and I put the things I need for the next day there, so an umbrella, or a paper I need to take in etc.

My to do lists are usually five items or shorter. It's my to do list that is supposed to work for me, so it can be as long or short as I want. I break tasks down so, this week, it was write Xmas cards. Which got broken into:

1. Find cards from last year

2. Get out address book, write and address envelopes.

3. Buy stamps and put cards by the door to post.

If I have to do items that never get done, I ask is it because I haven't broken that task down? If my heart isn't in doing something or it is just not that important (I feel I should do X instead of I can see how X will benefit me) I leave it. The list is a helpful hand to help me think about what I choose to do, not a master for making me do things. If a task looks boring or hard, I will do ten minutes of it and reward myself.

• 5 weeks later...

I try to keep my to do lists under 4 things, and they are usually things like phone calls, appts, or grocery shopping.

Housekeeping I try to do without a list, because using a list just makes me put it off. I am more like to wipe everything down with a magic sponge for 10 minutes, do the toilet the next day (my husband is in charge of the tub) just randomly, and sweep the kitchen and bathroom floors at the same time. If I put it on a list, it becomes an obstacle. I do try to put a load of laundry in right before I go to sleep, and hang it in the morning, at least 3 days a week. But you see, it's not on a list.

Lists are really useful, but if I make long lists daily, I stop doing anything, because I feel overwhelmed.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm a compulsive list maker but i really do need to keep things written down. i have an alert on icalendar and it syncs with my phone so that i get it on my laptop and/or my phone - plus i write it down in my notebook. i do find it helps i just have to make sure i don't get too out of control (at one point i was making about fifty lists per day... lists of lists of lists of lists so i didn't forget.. not good).

• 2 weeks later...