CrazyBoards.org

Differentiate Lonelinless & Depression

I am just STARTING to learn how my illness truly affects me. 

One of the first things I am noticing is that loneliness seems to be sending me into bouts of depression. Not the kind of depression that last days and makes me suicidal. I sure was having suicidal idealization last night though. This was after a serious stresss triggering episodes then mild depression then loneliness poured on top of it.. 

Part of it is I am only 3 1/2 weeks out of a 3 year relationship. So I know some is normal "Heart is Broken" type of crap even though it was ended mutually.

My main question is how can you tell between loneliness and the start of depression ? I guess it doesn't matter because the same solutions apply (non medication wise)

Just interested in hearing thoughts on this. I still to this day don't understand WTF I am experiencing but just realizing loneliness and depression and closely tied. They will both lead into each other if left untreated and both feel fairly similar in their early stages.

It's hard to tell the difference. Physical symptoms such as change of appetite, sleep, slowness of speech, thought or movement, muscle weakness, aches and pains etc can indicate that it has gone beyond a normal reaction to a breakup and become depression.

I find those to be a good way to tell if I am severely depressed. When I'm mildly or moderately depressed I may not have those symptoms and it's harder to tell whether I'm just sad or actually unwell.

Well .. My biggest sign making me think this is more than loneliness is 

* Total Loss of Appetite. I go the whole day without eating

* Complete loss of interest in things.

* Activities that used to bring me up are not working

* I am right on the edge of that point where I break into tears when Sad. But not quite there yet, it seems like the crying for no reason comes close though.

* A lot of unresolved anger that I can't place where it is coming from.

I have pDoc appt tomorrow. Going to talk about low dose of lithium as it helped my depression this time of the year last year or increasing Saphris by 5 mg. 

Edited by lanry78

Well .. My biggest sign making me think this is more than loneliness is 

* Total Loss of Appetite. I go the whole day without eating

* Complete loss of interest in things.

* Activities that used to bring me up are not working

* I am right on the edge of that point where I break into tears when Sad. But not quite there yet, it seems like the crying for no reason comes close though.

* A lot of unresolved anger that I can't place where it is coming from.

I have pDoc appt tomorrow. Going to talk about low dose of lithium as it helped my depression this time of the year last year or increasing Saphris by 5 mg. 

This all sounds like depression to me.  Good luck at pdoc's appt; I hope you are able to get the med change you need.