CrazyBoards.org

How Can I Have "Psychotic Features/Symptoms" and Not Know About It?

Hi,

My Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner put me on Seroquel XR 50 mg last month, and I've been taking it for about 9 days. Before this, she tried me on Risperdal for 2 weeks, then Abilify. When I saw her yesterday I questioned her why she kept giving me antipsychotic meds, because I didn't think I was psychotic, schizophrenic, or bipolar- I didn't think I needed these antipsychotic meds. Apparently I'm sensitive to meds, and all of the psych meds I take have side effects, but I'm willing to tolerate the side effects if I think the drug is really helping me, which is why I tolerate the side effects of antidepressants, because I know they help me function and help my anxiety and depression.

I have severe social anxiety, and probably generalized anxiety and depression-this I know. I was a shut-in for many years, due to my fear of the outside world. But I never thought I had any psychotic symptoms or features, but yesterday the Nurse Practitioner told me I have psychotic "features", which is why she keeps pushing antipsychotic meds on me. I was surprised to hear this, because wouldn't I know if I was acting psychotic? I know when I have social anxiety.

I'm just wondering how I can have "psychotic features/symptoms" and not know it. And this means I'll probably have to take an antipsychotic, along with an antidepressant. I didn't want to have to take an antipsychotic, as they don't seem to agree with me.

On the Seroquel, so far, I feel dysphoric, and just not good, like my anxiety around people is increased.

Edited by lisa2712

People don't always have insight with psychosis and can be having symptoms and not recognize it.  Sometimes, it's easier for someone else to notice changes. Seroquel actually made me less anxious/agitated but everyone is different. 

I know what you mean. I don't understand either. I have psychotic features as well. I don't quite understand what is so psychotic about me. I think it's reasonable to think people all want to hurt you or steal from you, right?

But again, insight can be lacking. 

Anti-psychotics can be good for other mental issues as well, such as depression when combined with an anti-depressant.

I am not a doctor. Just a person who has taken antipsychotics.

Can you ask the Nurse what exact symptoms made her conclude it was psychosis?

Again I am not a doctor, but if you have depression and social anxiety there are other treatments that do not involve antipsychotics.

Antipsychotics can bring serious side effects. (I am currently dealing with pre-diabetes, with no family history of diabetes). And to tell you the truth, I am even more preocuppied with diabetes than bipolar, right now.

If you really have psychotic symptoms, it is important that you take antipsychotics. But if you dont, I would ask the nurse for alternatives. And leave the antipsychotics for later when you really need them

Mental illness can change over time. For me it started with depression, but it wasnt until 10 years later, that I developed psychosis. In my case, psychosis was something that could not be overlooked, because it really affected me.

Edited by CookieN

Yes, my main issue is social anxiety problems. That's why I went to a mental health professional- because my shyness and anxiety and fear around people ruled my life. I never had depression until I went on Zoloft 50 mg. It made me depressed, for some reason, but at least it got rid of most of my anxiety. I just traded one mind problem for another one.

My sister tells me I just lack self-esteem and confidence, and that there's nothing wrong with me. I've been putting on makeup for the past week or so and I feel like I look better, which is helping my self-esteem, and helping me feel more confident about myself around people. I told that to my Psych Nurse yesterday, (that my cure is makeup and nice hair) and she was quiet and smiled. 

Another thing about antipsychotic meds is they seem to make me more socially anxious around people, to where I don't want to leave the house and be around people. On Seroquel, I've been dysphoric, not at all happy, and more anxious around people, because I feel like I look weird on this medicine, or I stand out in a negative way on it. When I was at the grocery store yesterday, two Asian people laughed quietly at me. I must look weird on it.

It's been harder for me to get out around people, and I have to go to a law library for homework this week and I'm not looking forward to it.

Last time I was there (I had  just started taking Seroquel XR) an Indian Asian student there gave me the dirtiest look, like he just hated me so much for me just being there. I wanted to leave that library so bad, but I couldn't because I had work to do there. It made me feel like crap.

I guess my problem is I don't want to be rejected by people.

I know what you mean. I don't understand either. I have psychotic features as well. I don't quite understand what is so psychotic about me. I think it's reasonable to think people all want to hurt you or steal from you, right?

But again, insight can be lacking. 

Anti-psychotics can be good for other mental issues as well, such as depression when combined with an anti-depressant.

Edited by lisa2712

My psych NP told me I have more going on that just severe social anxiety and possible depression. Which is why she keeps trying antipsychotics on me.

I could ask my psych NP what exact symptoms I have to make her conclude I have psychotic features, I see her in 1 month. I could also email her, but I don't think she likes me emailing her with non-urgent med-related questions.

Yes, I know weight gain is a side effect, but she told me I'm on a low dose (50 mg) and I'm giving it 1 month to see how I do on it. If it doesn't help me after 1 mo., we'll get rid of it, she assured me.

Yeah, she said something like because I've had very severe anxiety problems for most of my life (for about 20 years), it caused psychotic features. She said something like that.

Again I am not a doctor, but if you have depression and social anxiety there are other treatments that do not involve antipsychotics.

Antipsychotics can bring serious side effects. (I am currently dealing with pre-diabetes, with no family history of diabetes). And to tell you the truth, I am even more preocuppied with diabetes than bipolar, right now.

If you really have psychotic symptoms, it is important that you take antipsychotics. But if you dont, I would ask the nurse for alternatives. And leave the antipsychotics for later when you really need them

Mental illness can change over time. For me it started with depression, but it wasnt until 10 years later, that I developed psychosis. In my case, psychosis was something that could not be overlooked, because it really affected me.

My psych NP told me I have more going on that just severe social anxiety and possible depression. Which is why she keeps trying antipsychotics on me.

I could ask my psych NP what exact symptoms I have to make her conclude I have psychotic features, I see her in 1 month. I could also email her, but I don't think she likes me emailing her with non-urgent med-related questions.

Yes, I know weight gain is a side effect, but she told me I'm on a low dose (50 mg) and I'm giving it 1 month to see how I do on it. If it doesn't help me after 1 mo., we'll get rid of it, she assured me.

Yeah, she said something like because I've had very severe anxiety problems for most of my life (for about 20 years), it caused psychotic features. She said something like that.

Ask her about the psychotic symptoms whenever you feel its appropiate.