CrazyBoards.org

Remeron Hell.

Hi all,

Long story short.....Suffer from GAD, panic disorder, have suffered agoraphobia (partially recovered) and IBS.

Spent 6 years doing relatively well then fell apart a month ago after something scared the beejesus out of me.

I cannot get my stomach or my anxiety under any kind of control and it's making me miserable. I feel completely hopeless.

Doctor has put me straight onto 30mg Remeron. I think it's making me worse. I took only 15mgs the first 2 nights then 20 hours or so after the first full dose I had an anxiety attack and felt like I needed to get out of my own body (cannot think how else to describe the feeling, it was very surreal).

Following morning heart was racing as were thoughts and I stalked around the house feeling like I was going insane.

This morning not much better.

On top of that am on day 5 and feeling stupid dopey, eyes are blurry and stinging, I have REALLY bad sciatic pain that won't shift, I feel flat flat flat and somewhat depressed in between the anxiety attacks and the anxious thoughts seem to be even worse than they were when I started. I know these things take time, but I didn't think I should be feeling worse.

I did okay on Citalopram 3 or 4 years ago but came off it as I was starting to feel robotic and it had another unwanted side effect in the bedroom. I asked my GP to go back on it yesterday but he was insistant that I'm imaging I feel worse and that this pill cannot be making me more anxious nor causing the aching in my legs.

So I guess my question is, am I still just in the hell of getting onto this med or have others found Remeron made their anxiety worse rather than better?

Thanks in advance.

I loved Remeron when I was on it. It helped me to relax at night and made me nice and sleepy (which is why my pdoc told me to take it at bedtime)

Unfortunately, I experienced weight gain from this med. I was taken off this med due to that side effect. But otherwise, I loved it. It helped me a lot and I am even going to ask about getting back onto Remeron once I see my new pdoc.

I hope you can find something that helps you.

Hi Jess, welcome to CB :)

It sounds like you're having a really rough time starting this med. I suggest you contact your doctor ASAP. I take Remeron, but haven't experienced anything like you've described. It may be that you've started on a dose that is too high.

It's recommended to start at 15mg and increase after 1-2 weeks if necessary. It could also be that Remeron is not the med for you. Either way, call your doc.

Hi Jess,

Welcome. It seems your doctor is misinformed, because anxiety is listed as a frequent side effect for remeron. I was taking it for depression. It worked well for a while but pooped out, and when I went up to 45mg I experienced the worst anxiety in my life. My pdoc took me off it and prescribed seroquel to help for the next few days. 

I'm not sure where you live, but if you feel your GP isn't listening to you it may be best to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. 

I loved Remeron when I was on it. It helped me to relax at night and made me nice and sleepy (which is why my pdoc told me to take it at bedtime)

Unfortunately, I experienced weight gain from this med. I was taken off this med due to that side effect. But otherwise, I loved it. It helped me a lot and I am even going to ask about getting back onto Remeron once I see my new pdoc.

I hope you can find something that helps you.

Thank you Surreal. Yeah, the weight gain concerns me somewhat (I try not to read too much but I read that they give this med to people suffering anorexia to help them with appetite). Up until a month ago I was a regular gym goer (I plan to be again once the tummy eases up on me) and while I don't put weight on super easily it's not hard work to do so.

Hi Jess, welcome to CB :)

It sounds like you're having a really rough time starting this med. I suggest you contact your doctor ASAP. I take Remeron, but haven't experienced anything like you've described. It may be that you've started on a dose that is too high.

It's recommended to start at 15mg and increase after 1-2 weeks if necessary. It could also be that Remeron is not the med for you. Either way, call your doc.

Hi mcjimjam :) Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I am. I kept a record of starting on the Citalopram when I did and dry mouth and insomnia aside it was nothing like this has been. I woke up yet again with anxiety this morning and am still having trouble seeing straight. I'm due to see my doctor tomorrow morning and I know I probably shouldn't but I'm seriously considering skipping tonights dose as I'm finding I feel better as the day goes on and it gets further from the time I took my pill, then I take another one, zonk out for 8 hours and wake up with anxiety again.

Hi Jess,

Welcome. It seems your doctor is misinformed, because anxiety is listed as a frequent side effect for remeron. I was taking it for depression. It worked well for a while but pooped out, and when I went up to 45mg I experienced the worst anxiety in my life. My pdoc took me off it and prescribed seroquel to help for the next few days. 

I'm not sure where you live, but if you feel your GP isn't listening to you it may be best to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. 

Hi bluelikejazz, thank you and that's very interesting. I had an intern GP and my (new) regular GP okay this drug for me (he's been practicing for quite some time but perhaps not his area...). I'll see him again tomorrow as planned and if I'm not happy maybe see my other doctor (long story, we only have one of those walk in medical centres and my regular GP was away so I saw this one who actually seemed interested in helping me and as I said, has experience so I figured he'd be helpful, but maybe not :( ).

I never experienced those particular effects before, but I would definitely call your doc ASAP tomorrow. I did, however, gain weight, like others have said, when on that damned drug.

Thanks, I will. He didn't seem at all concerned (I guess when you walk in somewhere and mention anxiety 9 times out of 10 it's met with "it's just you being anxious". Very frustrating. I seem to have a body that over-reacts to med side effects :( Fingers crossed he'll listen to me tomorrow!

Sounds like you just don't get along with remeron for whatever reason. It's known to be more activating at higher dosages but I think its pretty rare for 15mg to be giving somebody anxiety. It acts as an AD at 15mg but its still considered to be pretty light at that dosage. It's especially odd that you say citalopram never gave you anxiety on start up but remeron did. I dunno, maybe its the action on norepinephrine or something else that's not agreeing with you.

If your doc isn't listening maybe you should find another one. Is there a particular reason they are pushing the remeron so hard? I do know remeron helps a lot of people with IBS. Is that why?

Edited by quiet storm

Sounds like you just don't get along with remeron for whatever reason. It's known to be more activating at higher dosages but I think its pretty rare for 15mg to be giving somebody anxiety. It acts as an AD at 15mg but its still considered to be pretty light at that dosage. It's especially odd that you say citalopram never gave you anxiety on start up but remeron did. I dunno, maybe its the action on norepinephrine or something else that's not agreeing with you.

If your doc isn't listening maybe you should find another one. Is there a particular reason they are pushing the remeron so hard? I do know remeron helps a lot of people with IBS. Is that why?

Hi quite storm, I'm not sure if the citalopram did give me anxiety at first. I was in such a miserable place when I went on it (pretty much housebound with panic disorder) that I don't think I would have noticed. I was actually on 30mg of Remeron (I took 15mg the first 2 nights but 30mg after that). He finally listened today and they've put me back on the Citalopram, at least for a while, to get me to feel better. We'll revisit it down the track if neccessary.

As I mentioned in my other thread about citalopram, this is about the 8th or 9th anti depressant I've tried for anxiety and I've had bad luck with most (a few of them I'm in that 1% of people who get some bizarre side effect) so I'm starting to run out of options. I just couldn't handle the tiredness, blurry vision and thundering head anymore. I'm not sure why he wanted me on the Remeron so badly, perhaps like you said, because of the IBS but also because it apparently has no reported sexual side effects which is one of the reasons why I stopped taking the citalopram 3 years ago when I did.

Edited by Jessamine

I sometimes find walk-in medical centres a bit frustrating, at least in the city where there are often 12 different doctors working there. They are great when I run out of meds on a Saturday morning but not so great when I need continuity of care. I'm glad you're able to be assertive and switch doctors if it will be helpful.

I sometimes find walk-in medical centres a bit frustrating, at least in the city where there are often 12 different doctors working there. They are great when I run out of meds on a Saturday morning but not so great when I need continuity of care. I'm glad you're able to be assertive and switch doctors if it will be helpful.

Yeah, they are. I guess I'm lucky with ours in that you can at least nominate which doctor you wish to see but unless you get there early there can be 10 people in front of you plus the walk ins and you sit there for hours and hours. I got there yesterday half an hour before my doctor did and was still patient number 5.