CrazyBoards.org

How you feel when meds are missed...

When you miss your meds, can you tell? Is it barely noticeable, a little more noticeable, or very noticeable? Not noticeable at all?

I ask because over the last week and a half or so I have been flipping all over the place around here and that has led to a lot of questions about meds, and people have made comments that they can tell when they have missed just one dose of their meds, which I don't understand, because I never, ever notice. It phases me not one bit to miss a dose. Does this mean my meds don't work? This is something I've suspected.

It all depends on the med. Some of them have a seriously long half life and others are really short. Some meds I can tell I haven't taken after about 24 hours or so. Some meds, I can't tell I haven't taken them until about a week has passed. 

I have never forgotten to take my pills in 7 years. I am very organized with this. What I can talk about is when I was told to quit a certain medication or replace a med with a new one.

Only 3 days after stopping zyprexa I felt really bad. The same with cymbalta, when my dosage was reduced. i experienced nausea and brain zaps

My current combo I can tell pretty easily...the Provigil is responsible for giving me the majority of my energy (which is still low), so if I miss that, I'm dead to the world and want to go home and go to bed at 2pm. The abilify not as much, I don't think. The wellbutrin I get a little queasy, but don't feel much past that unless it's longer than a day.

I don't take it as a sign that the abilify or wellbutrin aren't working. To me, the fact that I'm largely not in a state of depression (though currently in a state of grief) is proof that the stuff is working. If I were still having lots of symptoms, that, to me, would be a sign that they weren't working.

If I miss a few doses of lithium or Cymbalta I get brain zaps and that weird SSRI-withdrawal feeling. Last time I ran out of lithium I was starting to feel racy by the time I went and bought more.

If I miss Concerta I just have difficulty concentrating, no physical W/D.

If I miss Remeron I find it hard to sleep.

I don't think the fact that you don't feel different when you miss your meds means they aren't working. It can take some time before your mood begins to destabilise. It's not usually instant.

I cant sleep without my evening meds. Besides the sedation of Seroquel, I take Rozerem and trazadone just for sleep. I have tried to cut out the rozerem because it is so expensive, even with insurance. I cant make it without it.

Now morning meds.......I forget them all too often. The only psych meds I take in the am are zoloft and lamictal and can go for a long time before feeling the effects.

I can't sleep without he seroquel and klonopin and lunesta. So I feel it if I miss those.

Effexor is the worst offender. I feel awful if I miss that. I'm bed-bound for days.

I think your meds are working to help you. If you stopped them cold turkey for a month I'd bet you would notice a big difference. Missing a dose here and there for a few weeks may cause some A LOT of problems. You're just lucky in that if you forget some doses you don't feel it.

• 1 month later...

I can miss citalopram without any problems. I will feel it if I miss Remeron because of the sedation of Remeron. I won't sleep. I don't feel it too much if I miss one day of Ritalin, just maybe a little more sluggish. I won't feel it much if I miss lamotrigine or carbamazepine provided it is just one day. Interestingly, if I miss too much of the carbamazepine and my blood level drops too much, I begin to hallucinate a distinctive smell. So I sort of have a built-in reminder. If I miss Abilify for one day, I won't feel it because the half-life is so long.