CrazyBoards.org

Trying.. i really am..

Hey guys so i recieved my official feedback from all my psych appointments over the last few days... I wanted to bes 100% sure i had an MI before starting on medication and well now i am in a good mood and reading over everything it turns out that i indeed do have on... well a couple actually...

I have been officially diagnosed..

Bipolar Affective Disorder - type 1 with a differential diagnosis of Schizoaffective Disorder.
I also have GAD, Major Depression, Borderline personality disorder and Antisocial personality disorder.

Although the doctor seems to think that the above dis orders could possibly be a part of the MI Bipolar 1 or Schizoaffective disorder.

It seems it will be clarrified as of Monday as to how i reacted off medication as to what the diagnosis will be and as to what meds i will be on.

It seems however i will more than likely be re started on 100mg Pristiq anti depressent and 800mg Epilim/Depakote mood stabiliser and either 25mg Largactil/Thorazine or a new antipsychotic.

I have also taken steps to re see my councillor on a weekly basis as well as my gp on a weekly basis..

I have signed up with disability employment services who will also help me find a job that is suitable to me that will not affect my routine or my medicines or be too much for me to handle...

Looks like i am off Perth for a Psychiatric review 2nd one from same Dr as well as Medication review.

The way i was going i was given my last chance of accept help or i will be on a Community based Treatment order in which i will be put before the legal system and forced onto medication with a possibility of a 6 month Graylands/mental ward involuntry stay where i would be force fed everything until i was compliant.

I honestly didn't realise my behaviour and mental state was that out of control and to be completely honest i still DO NOT see it myself either that what i am doing or have done is wrong or mentally ill...

But it appears ALL my family and friends are saying i need help... EVERYONE here is saying i need help and my GP/.PDOC both say i need help.. so does my boss...

So i am going to start a new program on medication as of Monday and i will see how i go.

From everyones personal views here what medications are best suited to those illnesses it seems from reading online most use an anti depressent a mood stabilser and an anti psychotic for all of it

Well, if you aren't looking to go down the psychiatry road, you have chosen the wrong place to post to. 

Here you will simply be encouraged to see a psychiatrist and probably a therapist and take medication, if that's what you're looking to be talked into, you'll hear what you want to hear. I don't want to be harsh when I say that, it's certainly a hard road to avoid from the point you seem to be at, but this site in my opinion is very biased.

There really isn't much point asking about what drugs you should be taking, it's up to the psychiatrist you see. They are supposed to be the professional, how would it look to go up to a "doctor" and tell him/her what perscription you want because of what some people on a forum told you ? 

Edited by silentium

Well, if you aren't looking to go down the psychiatry road, you have chosen the wrong place post to. 

Here you will simply be encouraged to see a psychiatrist and probably a therapist and take medication, if that's what you're looking to be talked into, you'll hear what you want to hear. I don't want to be harsh when I say that, it's certainly a hard road to avoid, but the site itself in my opinion is very biased.

That's what i am doing though?

I see a psychiatrist Monday for 2nd review for diagnosis and medication

I see a psycholigst/Therapist in 2 weeks

I see my GP tomorrow to re start medication

Yeh i know what you mean the board is pro meds not anti meds i guess in my case i need em though

Oh ok cool, yeh the doctor seems to think that the major depressive could possibly be a part of bipolar schizoaffective disorder also but he said it's hard because he said bi polar type 1 not schizoaffective depression/.

He said it's tricky to diagnose because i am showing  little signs of everything, so he said it is quite possible i have dual DX somewhere.

BTW Pristiq anti depressent worked great for me

Hi Alien, I'm so pleased to here that you have decided to accept help. That's great! It sounds like you are taking a number of positive steps to get yourself well again. Good job!

As to what meds are usually used for what you have, you're right than an antidepressant, mood stabiliser and antipsychotic is a common combination for bipolar or schizoaffective. Antidepressants can help anxiety, too. Sometimes people take a tranquiliser (ie: Valium) as needed to help with any breakthrough anxiety. 

All those meds help with different symptoms of BPD too, although to really recover from BPD it is recommended that you undertake Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) as medication doesn't really get to the heart of it.

I'm honestly not sure what the treatment for antisocial personality disorder is. I imagine it would be therapy.

"I honestly didn't realise my behaviour and mental state was that out of control and to be completely honest i still DO NOT see it myself either that what i am doing or have done is wrong or mentally ill..."

This is unfortunately not uncommon with mi.  There is a word for it. Anosognosia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia

I'm having a hard time understanding how you could be dx with MDD and BP as depression is a part of BP.  This makes a difference b/c sometimes the meds used to treat MDD (primarily SSRIs) can cause mania in patients that are BP.  In other words, you have to be careful when treating BP depression.

It sounds like you are being proactive even though you don't necessarily believe that you are ill.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you could be dx with MDD and BP as depression is a part of BP. This makes a difference b/c sometimes the meds used to treat MDD (primarily SSRIs) can cause mania in patients that are BP. In other words, you have to be careful when treating BP depression.

that you are ill.

I agree. I think yo cannot be diagnosed as both, Bipolar and MDD. If you are diagnosed with MDD is because your mood is constantly low. If you are diagnosed with Bipolar is because your mood alternates. In my case MDD diagnosis preceded Bipolar by 10 years.

Another thing, your Antisocial diagnosis could be a part of your generalized anxiety.

Just dont worry too much about diagnosis and labels. The important thing is that you take your meds. These illnesses overlap.

I didnt ask my pdoc my dx, until 4 years after being treated. The important thing is that you get SYMPTOMs treated.

Edited by CookieN