CrazyBoards.org

How am i anti social? huh? what the?

Ok guys so i've been told i have Borderline personality disorder... fair enough i can grasp that one it seems very similar to Bipolar... wich there was confusion over until recently but they also said i am antisocial personality disorder.

This i totally do not understand and it wasn't explained to me...

I mean i work a job where i am required to utilise customer service skills wich i do so brilliantly, i also met a nice young lady and we are getting married in a year. If i was anti social surely that wouldn't have happened??

I mean i also have lots of friends, and i also make new friends easily as well to do with similar hobbies.

Is this diagnosis having a different meaning behind it because i am not seeing it?? maybe i am looking at it the wrong way.

Can anyone here please help me clarify this

Read that link VE posted. In this context antisocial doesn't mean shy or introverted. It's something different.

Antisocial personality disorder is a type of chronic mental condition in which a person's ways of thinking, perceiving situations and relating to others are dysfunctional — and destructive. People with antisocial personality disorder typically have no regard for right and wrong and often disregard the rights, wishes and feelings of others.

Those with antisocial personality disorder tend to antagonize, manipulate or treat others either harshly or with callous indifference. They may often violate the law, landing in frequent trouble, yet they show no guilt or remorse. They may lie, behave violently or impulsively, and have problems with drug and alcohol use. These characteristics typically make people with antisocial personality disorder unable to fulfill responsibilities related to family, work or school. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antisocial-personality-disorder/DS00829

Read that link VE posted. In this context antisocial doesn't mean shy or introverted. It's something different.

I concur with ^this^

It sounds like you are confusing the terms antisocial and asocial. Many people who are not familiar with psychology use the term antisocial in meaning people who are not-social. When in fact antisocial in the psychology field means the personality characteristics that is described in the link provided by VE.

You might want to talk to your new doctor about this confusion. APD is a very distinct disorder that carries a lot of biased, as well as a different treatment path than asocial characteristics.

Thanks dude although personal experiences can sometimes be more usefull, i thought been a pro board people with experience could help out

No. Just no. This is not a professional board. There are no doctors or therapists here (or at least not ones who could ethically act in that capacity via the internet!) and this is not a substitution for doing a google search. You need to search before posting. Otherwise it comes across like you're asking the rest of us to do your homework for you, and that isn't cool.