CrazyBoards.org

Struggling

Hey Dragoneats, 

Have you had a chance to look at this thread? http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/43071-i-wanted-to-self-harm-today-instead-i/

It's all about what you can do instead of SI'ing. Additionally, you can reply to the thread and share ideas that have worked for you. 

Congratulations on stopping for a year! That's amazing! :) 

I have been free of cutting for nearly 2 years. Still sometimes, I get the odd urge to cut. Mostly when I'm really stressed out. I have gained many coping mechanisms since quitting cutting, and I'm sure you have too. What has worked for you in the past? For me, I need to think about WHY I want to cut and then do something that satisfies that reason. So, if I'm feeling out of control, I might need to exercise instead of cutting. If I'm feeling overwhelmed, I usually need to calm down. So, I do breathing exercises to help me calm down. 

Feel free to keep posting if you need more support, I'm sure more people will chime in with ideas. 

Again, I want to congratulate you on being a year free fro cutting! Good job! 

If you want to talk about the stresses of being a third year and dealing with depression, feel free! What are you a third year in?

I am currently a third year in nursing school and I'm also dealing with some depression right now. It's taken a toll on my school work and it's just really awful. It's awful to have so much pressure on me and to try to get to class and my clinical rotation when all I want to do is lay in bed all day. 

I hope you can take it as easy as possible, and take care of yourself. 

I'm third year studying law. We have three coursework due in the next two weeks and all I want to do is sleep. My attentence is low ATM due to sleeping to much but when I am in it just feels pointless. I also do a lot of voluntary work with cbs which I cba to do.

I think the main worry for me is not getting good enought grades and not being able to afford my post grad course which I have not even srarted to think about .

Have you spoken to your school or teachers about it ?

Yes, I have spoken to my school about my illness. I am in contact with Disability Services at my school and they know I have schizoaffective disorder. I receive accommodations for it, and when I am having a hard time, I let them know. Then I can defer exams and assignments and things like that. 

I would recommend you get in contact with Disability Services at your school, if you haven't already. It just helps to have someone on your side when you're going through a hard time. Perhaps you could get some of your coursework deferred? 

Try to take things one day at a time. Worrying about post grad right now will probably only stress you out further. If you can, try to put those thoughts on the back burner until you're feeling better. 

For me, I'm trying to focus on getting to class. Even if I'm not totally paying attention, at least I'm there and absorbing something.

I've spoken to them and they are in talks with my twachers so I'm hoping that ends okay. I'm not sure what they can do and some of the teachers arnt very understand I've had depression doesn't exist but it's just laziness. I'm trying not to but I do need to make a few decisions about that.