CrazyBoards.org

I've been diagnosed with mixed affective state, Is this on the more serious end of bipolar?

no, I don't think so - truly you need to ask your psychiatrist about this term

I think it  means you are having some moods which are mixed - euphoric / dysphoric

but you have them at the same time - such as depression with some hyper agitation

some doctor's wait a while before giving the Bipolar DX

are you being treated with medication?

it helped me in the beginning to bring a list of questions to my doctor

It sounds like your psychiatrist might have diagnosed you as being in a mixed state, which is a possible mood state in bipolar disorder. A mixed state is when you experience the symptoms of mania and depression simultaneously. ETA: Well, it's when you meet the criteria for mania and depression at the same time. Your experience might feel different. 

As far as it being more "serious," I'm unsure, You'd have to ask your pdoc (psychiatrist) what they think. I personally don't think it's any more serious than other manifestations of bipolar disorder. Of course, mixed states fucking suck, so they might feel more seriously bad than mania or depression. 

Edited by Parapluie

A mixed state would be very serious if you are suicidilly depressed and have the energy to act on it. 

I don't know if a mixed-state is considered a more serious mood state.  Like others have said, that's a good question for your pdoc.

Ask your doctor about it. It's very important to have an open discussion about diagnosis with your doctor, so ask away.

As for 'more serious', I always think that is somewhat pointless to 'out-horror' illnesses. It is mostly about how you experience it, and it doesn't matter if someone on some scale rates this higher or lower. Mixed states can be very traumatic to experience because they combine all the depression with all the agitation of mania. If suicidal ideations are an issue, they can be rather dangerous. 

Of course they're serious. My understanding of his question was does having a mixed state indicate that he has some super-severe form of bipolar illness. It falls within the parameters of bipolar moods, period. It isn't a rarity.

Mixed state is a particular episode of bipolar disorder. It is not a type of bipolar in and of itself. It can occur in both types of bipolar, as well as schizoaffective disorder. It is a serious episode, perhaps most dangerous when it comes to suicide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was diagonose with mixed state this year and bi polar 1. i have been diagonosed ocd since i can remember. it has been a long ride to find a label for what ive gone through in the past 30 odd years.

a mixed state also known as agitated depression is a condition during which features of mania and depression.

such as agitation anxiety fatigue guilt impulsiveness irritability morbid or suicidal ideation panic paranoia pressured speech and rage, occur simultaneously.

one may feel incredibly frustrated or be prone to fits of rage in thistate. since one may feel like a failure and at the same time have a flight of ideas. mixed states are often the most problematic period of mood disorders during which susceptibility to substance abuse panic disorder commission of violence suicide attempts and other compilations increase greatly.

i found this trying to explain to my family what i go through.  hope this is helpful. its helped me and also showing it to my doctor for i couldnt put it into words.