CrazyBoards.org

cold sores/fever blisters?

hagar

Maybe this is a huge stretch, but, does anyone know of any good remedies or at least pain/itch relievers for cold sores/fever blisters? Besides Valtrex, which I don't have a prescription for, and Abreva, which I can't afford. 

hate when one of these fuckers pops up. It makes me feel gross and even more self-conscious than usual. Ugh.

Before I was able to get valtrex and abreva (which are amazing if you can find a way to get them), I would wipe my mouth with rubbing alcohol as soon as I felt the first tingle, continue to wipe it several times a day and also used tea tree oil on the spot. Both help a little, but the medication was a life saver.

I dab toothpaste or vaseline on cold sores, it seems to help and it's something that's already around the house so I don't need to go out and buy anything for them. Apparently toothpaste dries out the cold sore, which kills the bacteria and vaseline moisturises the area speeding the healing process.

You need to let them dry out.  Once that happens, then it is a good time to put some kind of ointment on the blister so they won't crack and bleed.  You can use vaseline in the shower so they blister doesn't get too soft either.  It is a tricky dance, letting the blisters dry up but not get too dry.

I used Cold Sores Begone for years, still do.  It has Melissa, or Lemon Balm, but it works best if you apply when your mouth is tingling, not when the blister is fully flowered.

If they hurt, you can use a blistex like ointment that contains the numbing stuff which I just forgot the name of.  The stuff you use on teeth when they hurt.  This helped my girl a few weeks ago when she had a HUGE outbreak.

really, it is most important that you leave the blister alone when it starts forming.  The more the blisters are fussed with, the worse they can get and they can spread.  

Aspirin, ibuprofen can help the pain as well.   If you had valtrex, you can make a paste from it and put it on the blister.  This is basically what Abreva is.

None of this stuff will make it go away any quicker.  Zovirax, valtrex pills also help, but work better when the blister is not flowered.

Benadryl can help the itching and can help you sleep. The fact that they are itching is a good sign. That means they are drying up.  

I have this small bit of Kiehls A,D & E ointment that helps the itch.  You can use blistex but it never really helped me.  The pharmacies here now have all these chapstick like things for blisters that are much cheaper than Abreva.  They say only to use during the tingling but I find they do help at anytime.  Just be very careful when touching the area, wash your hands afterwards. 

Back before they had meds like Valtrex I used to use L-Lysine (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-237-LYSINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=237&activeIngredientName=LYSINE). It worked pretty well. Not as well as Valtrex but a heck of a lot better than nothing.  

I did a search on webmd and got this list of possible remedies: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/condition-1249-Herpes+simplex.aspx?diseaseid=1249&diseasename=Herpes+simplex&source=0

Good luck.

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions! I'm writing them all down so I can be prepared for the next one, too. I can feel them coming a few days before they pop up. Getting a script for valtrex or something similar is on my priority list- every time the seasons change, I get a series of cold sores one after the other.