CrazyBoards.org

Caffeine plus meds. Good or bad for you?

Hey guys! My psy recommends me to quit caffeine. I use it to supplement Ritalin, I feel caffeine wakes me up even further. But sometimes I think it would be wiser to quit it fully and up the Ritalin dosage, if needed. Ritalin is a much cleaner stimulant, I know caffeine makes me anxious.

What are you thoughts? Do you think adding caffeine to the mix is good or bad for you?

Caffeine makes me incredibly tired, personally.

However If I do drink too much I tend to get sluggish & anxious (although it might be the processed sugar in it as well).

My advice? Listen to your body. If you are taking a stimulant drug, and you see that caffeine is making you have adverse side-affects, quit the drug that is least valuable to you; the caffeine.

I drink coffee every morning. I think it helps me wake up. I haven't noticed feeling anxious from it, or crashing either. I have quit it on occasion though and go right back to it within a couple of months, if it lasts that long.

I have to stay far, far away from caffeine, which makes me sad, because I love it. But it seems to stay active in my system for 20+ hours (just an average sized cup of coffee) and it counteracts my anxiety meds plus makes it very difficult for me to sleep. I love how I feel right after I have some, but that usually segues into anxiety and sleeplessness.

I've learned I can only handle a 1:5 ratio of caffeinated coffee/decaf. So I mix my own blend at home. It's just enough to help me wake up in the AM but doesn't seem to keep me up all night.

I used to handle caffeine MUCH better when I was younger; it never interfered with sleep. That's changed only over the past 5 years or so.

Caffeine personally makes me anxious as fuck.  I know that St J, who has massive ADHD, has a lot more focus when he only has one coffee at the beginning of the day to help him wake up and then avoids heavily caffeinated AND SUGARED beverages for the rest of the day.  Soda is a mood, libido, and brain killer.

I find that coffee will make me anxious if I drink it within an hour or so of taking Ritalin SR.

I read somewhere that drinking hot beverages while the pill is still in your stomach will cause some of the medicine to get released faster than intended. Add the effect of caffeine on top of that and you got yourself a recipe for a panic attack.

I find that coffee will make me anxious if I drink it within an hour or so of taking Ritalin SR.

I read somewhere that drinking hot beverages while the pill is still in your stomach will cause some of the medicine to get released faster than intended. Add the effect of caffeine on top of that and you got yourself a recipe for a panic attack.

I haven't heard the hot beverages thing, and I want to point out that if you picked up three random psychiatric medications, the likelihood that they would all have the same dietary restrictions is very very slim.  I do know that many fruit juices (containing citric acid, iirc) are problematic with amphetamines, which is Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse (maybe, not sure on this one), and almost every stimulant prescribed for ADHD OTHER than Ritalin and its derivatives.  Strattera (atomoxetine), Provigil, and Wellbutrin are not stimulants.

edited to add:  I wasn't entirely clear. Vyvanse DOES contains amphetamine, but the drug is formulated with an extra molecule that is sheared off by digestive enzymes (which is part of the reason why it's good at extended release) but I'm not sure whether that's affected by citric acid since the amphetamine isn't released until the enzymes have already processed the drug molecule, i.e. you've already 'digested' it-- so it may not be affected, OR citric acid could inhibit the uptake of the amphetamine no matter where in the digestive cycle you are.  It's complicated, and I don't have enough data to even make an educated guess.

Edited by saveyoursanity

I didn't drink coffee but I used to consume a lot of caffeine as a form of self medication for my ADHD.  If your pdoc is suggesting that you drop the caffeine I'd seriously give it a good effort.  Aside from things like anxiety, etc. which are really personal effects anyway, there's the concerns of putting a whole lot of stimulants into your system at once.  Your stim med plus caffeine can mean things like potentially increasing chances of adverse side effects from stimulants, like racing heartbeat and the like.

I do know some people who use caffeine in the morning when they first take their stim to help give it an extra boost, but only at that time.  I can't do caffeine while on a stim at all because it will give me anxiety, though if my stimulant has worn off then consuming caffeine is not an issue for me.  And the anxiety I do get is more physical based, though it easily leads to mental of course -- however I typically remember that I have consumed caffeine and that helps me through it, though I still physically experience it, ugh.

My pdoc was very concerned when I picked up smoking again briefly, this was due to the whole combining stimulants thing, see?  I'm quit off the smokes again though and she's happy (and so am I.)  I didn't experience anxiety with it, but I did notice an increased heart rate beyond what my stimulant medication usually gives me, etc.

Generally, in the end, best to go along with what your pdoc says.  This is presuming that you have a good, strong, trusting relationship with your pdoc.  On something like caffeine consumption while you're being prescribed stimulants therapeutically, though, I think it's just generally a good idea overall.  In my humble non-professional opinion, anyway.

I do drink coffee and tea. Mostly because I like the taste, also sometimes to wake myself up. I've been on a low dose of Concerta for like two years now, and it doesn't have much of an awakening effect anymore. It still works for the ADD symptoms. I'm pretty restrained with my coffee/tea drinking. If I have too much I will need to pee every 5 minutes and my anxiety will be worse. I don't think it helps much with my ADD, or at least the amount I'd need to drink for it to help would cause way to many side-effects. Also, I'm careful not to have more than 4 cups a day, because I've noticed if I have more than that I get kind of physically dependant on the caffeine and then I wake up feeling like absolute shit every day.

Edited by mcjimjam

I'll chime in too.. I think it's a very individual thing, but I'm doing well with a small cup in the morning as a booster for my vyvanse dose. I think the less caffeine the better in most cases; in fact I will probably end up adding an IR booster when my doc is comfortable with it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As many have said, it's a very individual thing. Personally, I find caffeine helps my symptoms, especially in combination with my Adderall.

Caffeine has several mechanisms of action, one of which may have to do with increasing dopamine in parts of your brain, which for ADD/ADHD people is a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...