CrazyBoards.org

Thought I'd share some positivity. :)

I picked up smoking cigarettes again in July of this year, during some really stressful shit that resulted in me losing my job and my house.  However, now that I am in a more stable living situation again and being given the chance to centre my life around my health, I decided to give quitting a shot.  Also I caught a really horrible flu midway through October which had me cutting back on the cigarettes as it was.

When I quit cigarettes some six/seven years ago my quit date was Nov. 1st, and I duplicated that this year.  I've been cigarette free since Nov. 1st and other than that first day I haven't even really had cravings or missed them.  Granted I wasn't smoking for very long this time, only a few months, but I didn't have other stuff to fall back on (when I quit all those years ago I had, for example, marijuana to turn to.)  I did buy a disposable e-cigarette, no nicotine, in case I had issues with missing the physical actions of smoking, but I don't even miss those -- I use the e-cig because I enjoy blowing the vapour out of my mouth, not because I have some kind of craving.

The worst temptation I had was yesterday, walking past a smoke shop that sells clove cigarettes -- these aren't easily found in most places like convenience stores, and clove cigarettes are how I started up smoking back in July.  But I admitted the craving to myself and went to do something else instead.

How have you been good to yourself with stopping addictions lately?  No matter how seemingly small.  Is there a big milestone coming up?  Did you just stop something?  Have you successfully cut back on anything?  Did you say "no" to a craving (even if you caved in later?)  Putting off cravings counts!  I'd like to hear motivating stories, if you've got 'em. :)

I started and stopped smoking a couple of times before it "stuck." I tried hypnosis at one point. That worked pretty well. That was the time I quit for a few years. Being around friends that smoked all the time made it a lot harder and when the stress of life got too much for me, I started smoking again. Stupid move on my part. 

At this point, I'd say I'm pretty well quit for real. It has been over 20 years since I last smoked. I set a date and time and smoked up until that point. When it got here, I quit. That's the last one I picked up. 

It's hard to quit but it can be done. I wish you the best.

I haven't given anything up recently (ill health so my cravings have fallen by the way-side) but I wanted to say congratulations :) What you are doing is awesome and I know first hand how hard it is (I quit for the final time 7 years ago this December or maybe it's 8 years, I'm starting to lose count!).

I understand the clove cigarette thing too (are they called Gudang's or something?). I started out smoking those too.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and cheer for you a bit :) It's definitely something I've achieved that I'm both proud of and have no regrets at all about. I don't even miss it anymore (yes, there comes a time!)

Good! That's good to hear! I've quit and started so many damn times I can't count anymore. Longest stretch out of 15 years was about three years smoke-free. I'm getting the patch tomorrow.

I don't drink anymore, I'm not SUPER stable but not totally fucked and it's getting gross. I am constantly coughing shit up (I'm 27) and my kid can recognize me BY my cough, which is really the last thing that was like "ah, fucking hell." Anyway, seems to be a decent time to quit. So tomorrow or the next day, I will hopefully have put on the damn patch. I don't feel like there's another option.

The three years I didn't smoke I had e-cigs myself. I don't want them this time because I was CONSTANTLY attached to those things. No habits. Minus my morning coffee and hopefully being health-conscious after this.

Good luck! It's difficult as hell. But it gets easier after a while, I think. 

I think being six years off the cigarettes was a HUGE help.  I was super prepared this time for quitting, 'cause of what I knew worked last time, and some of those things it turns out I don't need. :) I'll agree that having friends and family who smoke make it LOTS harder.  I quit last time and stayed quit for six years despite being around lots of friends and family who smoked, I dated a guy for three years who smoked without picking it up myself.  Yet somehow this time I started, I was around my sister a lot though and she smokes.  Where I currently live though nobody smokes and I don't spend a lot of time around smokers anymore, other than my sister.

Good luck to you Emperor!  Seriously, I'm 27 as well and I really hope you can kick the habit this time for good.

I quit 9 years ago (march 22, 2004---not that I remember or anything!) and it's the best thing I have ever done for myself.

My only caution to you would be that addictive substances are sneaky.   You can go along for weeks or even months and think that the cravings are all over and you are in the clear......and then BAM!!  You feel like you must run out NOW and BUY ALL the cigarettes.  heh  It sounds like you've got a sensible approach, and it's probably helpful to be living with non-smokers.

I wish you all kinds of good luck, and if you need a cheerleader, I'm in your corner on this one.

olga

I've said it before in this forum and I'll say it again: when I get cravings I admit them to myself.  I do remember in those six years of being cigarette free how the craving would sometimes hit me out of nowhere.  Me starting up again seemed to have little to do with cravings, oddly, and more to do with me convincing myself that I deserved a naughty little treat (clove cigarettes) while all the awful stress was going on.  I even gave most of 'em away.  But it was enough.

I like to admit my cravings out loud, if possible -- it helps to lessen the craving even a teeny amount.

Good work giving them up, Mirazh. I smoked on and off until I was 26, then started up for a few months when I was 30, but have pretty much been tobacco free for 13 years or so (except when I went IP last year, but I'm not going to count that). I agree with Olga -- the cravings are sneaky, and show up at the weirdest times. But you can do it.

So happy for you! I quit 3 years ago this new year's although I did smoke for 3 weeks this past summer during a bad bout of suicidal ideation. I felt it was either smoke, or kill myself faster. I found it quite easy to quit again when I re-realized how much I hated being a slave to a cancer stick. I think that's been the most compelling thing for me. The need to step out every half hour for a fucking cigarette sucks. I think it's great that you were smoke free for so long and I wish you the best of luck!