CrazyBoards.org

Just Started Ativan

Okay, I just got a prescription for PRN Ativan on Wednesday for anxiety. In the past I had used Valium but found that it makes me feel a bit queasy so wanted to try something different. I haven't taken benzos much over the last couple of years. I used to take about 5mg Valium PRN. 

So on Friday I had group therapy which normally makes me pretty anxious. I decided to try half an Ativan (0.5mg). It really knocked me on my arse. I was really groggy and out of it. It was unpleasant. Is it because of my other meds that I reacted so strongly?

I imagine if I can build a bit of tolerance to it it will be better but if I'm only taking it PRN will I be able to build a tolerance?

The tablets I have are 1mg and they are very small. I don't think I can split them into quarters. 1mg is the smallest lorazepam tablet available here.

I believe .5mg of ativan is equal to 10mg of Valium. So you may want to try ,25mg of ativan which would be around 5mg of valium. More on the line your use too. I have not had ativans in a very long time. I prefer valium and klonopins but each person is different :)

Edited by IndieVisible

Thanks for the replies, Indie and Dance. I managed to break the tab into quarters yesterday so I'll try that. I think I'll just take it regularly for like 3 or 4 days to build a tolerance. I'm pretty sure people must have thought I was high last time I took it and went to my group on Friday lol. Given that there are quite a few recovering drug addicts/alcoholics in the group I don't want to seem like that. 

I think I'll end up getting Valium next time. Ativan seems to have a lot of grogginess with a meagre helping of anxiety relief, for me anyway.

If you need Ativan to work more quickly you can let it dissolve under your tongue. I've found that for me, the amount of grogginess is related to how bad the symptoms are. 

I'm also an Ativan "lightweight".  (Ok, I'm a lightweight with nearly every substance. I can't even drink more than a couple sips of anything without all kinds of unpleasant physical reactions.)  I also only take it PRN, rarely more than 1-5 times a month.  A whole 1mg is enough to knock me out enough to functionally end my day.  

Splitting the tab into .25mg quarters is a bit tricky but I just try as best as I can.  Unless its REALLY bad and urgent, I just start with dissolving one of those tiny .25mg slivers.  Then I try to breathe and hide out someplace quiet for a half hour, then only take more if I'm still feeling too freaked out to function well.

Like you, I'm also planning to ask about other reasonable options next chance I get.  Sorry I don't really have good comparison anecdotes since Ativan is one of only two PRNs I've ever been given.  Just wanted to say that you're not alone in having issues with the lower end of dosing options.

IndieVisible

We do not prescribe medications at crazyboards. There's a big difference between saying "this is what works for me" and "you should try XXmg" (the difference between peer support and practicing medicine without a license)?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just got a prescription for PRN Ativan on Wednesday for anxiety. In the past I had used Valium but found that it makes me feel a bit queasy so wanted to try something different. I haven't taken benzos much over the last couple of years. I used to take about 5mg Valium PRN. 

So on Friday I had group therapy which normally makes me pretty anxious. I decided to try half an Ativan (0.5mg). It really knocked me on my arse. I was really groggy and out of it. It was unpleasant. Is it because of my other meds that I reacted so strongly?

I imagine if I can build a bit of tolerance to it it will be better but if I'm only taking it PRN will I be able to build a tolerance?

The tablets I have are 1mg and they are very small. I don't think I can split them into quarters. 1mg is the smallest lorazepam tablet available here.

Hi, 

I've just been prescribed lorazepam........ but scared to start.     Can you please give an update as to how you are getting on -  is it effective, any side effects or tolerance issues?

thanks, 

Hi,

I've just been prescribed lorazepam........ but scared to start. Can you please give an update as to how you are getting on - is it effective, any side effects or tolerance issues?

thanks, My body has developed some resistance to it now, and it's not knocking me around so much. I still like it less than Valium. It seems to be more sedating while not really providing as much anxiety relief, for me anyway. I'm also finding that I feel some rebound anxiety when I wears off, which I never had with Valium. It's not as "smooth". More of a hit and run. I'm sure it affects everyone differently but it seems more addictive.