CrazyBoards.org

Or why? What for? I've been clinically depressed for over a decade, I have zero friends, zero social skills. And I live in a country where you can be a loser drunkard for a lifetime, and the society will pay for it. So why the hell not?

They say an alcoholic drinks till he's had enough. I wonder where my "enough" is at. I've already been psychotic and IP, lost my apartment, lost any and all friends, generally been a major fuck-up for years now. And I feel like I can't do any better.

Is there hope for losers?

You are not a loser. You have an addiction. You have a dual diagnosis (MI plus addiction). That does not make you a loser.

I stopped drinking just this last week. I got drunk once a week. I kept limiting myself and then finally I realized I don't need to be drunk to have fun or to feel better. This is new territory for me.

But I do recommend that you get professional help to quit drinking. Depending on how much you drink or how often you may have withdrawals. They can be dangerous.

I did one stint in rehab and I learned a lot. Even though I hated being there.

You could also try support groups like AA. It really wasn't my cup of tea but it may be something that you like.

Good luck! I hope you can get a handle on your drinking.

I second that you are not a loser. Drinking is an easy way to escape from reality and mental illness. I don't drink at all but I did as a teenager and I believe that I was addicted at that point. I wiped myself out daily for at least 2 years and then every weekend for another 3 or 4. It was a hard road out but one day I made the decision that there could be more in life for me than alcohol and with a lot of help I climbed out and stayed out. It's anything but easy but it's definitely worth it. Things aren't perfect for me by far in life but I can see that alcohol compounded my problems, it didn't make them better.

I had to stop drinking one day at a time, one moment at a time. 

I don't think it's true that an alcoholic drink till they've had enough.  There was never enough alcohol for me.  If I knew my last drink was going to be my last one, I woudl have never left that bar.  I stopped because my therapist intervened, and told me I was basically waiting/hoping to die (which was true).  She recomended that I never have another drink in my life, and it had a big impact on me. 

I went to AA.  I started working the steps.  I looked at all the consequences that happend when I drank, and realized that I just kept on drinking thinking it was solving the problem, when really it was making things worse. 

I don't think you are a looser.  I think alcoholics have an illness that can be treated by stopping drinking and getting support.  I think there's a lot of hope for you, you just may not see it yet. 

I think AA has a lot to offer.  It's really scarry at first, but the more I went, the more comfortable I got, and now I couldn't imagine not going.  Most of my friends are in AA, and they are the best frineds I could ever imagine having.  If you really try and still don't like AA, maybe there's some other support group or treatment program that could help.

It's been 9 years, 8 months since I stopped drinking, and my life is more than I ever could have imagined.  It's not easy, and I still have problems, including mental illness, but I generally like my life today. 

Depending on how much you have been drinking, you may need some sort of detox in order to stop.  Your best bet is to get evaluated by some sort of professional to see what kind of treatment you need. 

I did it the hard way.  I stopped drinking on my own, and told my therapist later.  I could have realy hurt myself, but that's what worked for me.   

I think you have to want to stop first. If you are asking how to stop without a why you will find that tough. There has to be something pushing it as its not easy to stop anything that you've done for a long time. You might want to bear in mind that one day your body might tell you to stop.

• 1 month later...

If you a serious alcoholic, it can be VERY difficult to stop. I,m having the hardest time ever right now. I have tried to stop six or so times recently, but it always fail. Was not as hard in the past. In any case, I find I generally need "something to ride" to sobriety. Being stuck in bed Becuz you're sick or so depressed you don't wanna get outta bed are both possibilities. And if you can scale down the amount you've been drinking just before that, or at the beginning of that, so much the better. Changing booze can also help. I find if I can the jaeger, and then switch to red wine from beer, that I'll generally drink less. But if I switch to scotch and soda, I will drink more and get unbelievably fucked up. Blended ice drinks (margaritas or daiquiris) can also help me drink less. Anyway, you need to get through the hangover, jitters, and whatnot, and scaling back and being stuck in bed for a long time help, at least for me. And then you need something to replace the booze with. I'm partial to iced tea. Decaf and herbal. I'll drink 1-1/2 gallons of more of that a day. Club soda with orange, lemon, or lime is also nice. I have a soda stream, which is convenient. Once you stop, the challenge is not starting up again. I think that's actually the hardest part. I have actually forgotten that I quit b4, and just kinda bought the stuff on autopilot. And 2-3 drinks later, I'm like, "oh, I kinda forgot I wasn't gonna drink any more. Oops. But I think the most dangerous thing, at least for me, is think I can just have a few one night and then be done with it for a while. Yeah, that really works. Not. :(

Edited by Flash

There's no such thing as a loser. You have an addiction. And of course, there is hope for you if you want to stop drinking. My advice maybe is don't stop immediately. Just drink moderately until you stop drinking. Do it slowly. If you immediately stop, there's a chance that you won't really stop your alcoholism. So that's it, and I hope everything is fine with you. We're here to support you all the way :)