CrazyBoards.org

How many Pdocs to find one you like?

I was with my last Pdoc for twelve years, now I've been to two and to make a long story short every time I leave my current Pdoc's office after waiting 3 1/2 hours to see him I'm so pis#ed off.  I've been depressed, hard to get out of bed or off the couch and this guy pretty much says "snap out it".  So just wondering what it takes to find a decent one or if it is just me.

I've been fairly satisfied with all my pdocs but the one I have now is the first that I feel truly comfortable with. She is the fifth I've seen, not counting hospital docs or those I saw less than a handful of times. I started seeing the first one 8 years ago.

The first one I saw I ended up filing a complaint against almost immediately. The second one I tolerated for two years or so. The 3rd has saved my life many times over and I've seen for 14 years. I think it's a combination of luck, persistence, and referrals from people or doctors you trust. Obviously it's easier if you live somewhere with a bigger pool of candidates.

Edited by Unstrung Harp

It took me three. First made unnecessary threats, second couldn't even pronounce my medication correctly and wasn't forthcoming with side effects, and then the one I have now who is a perfect fit for me.

Keep trying, you'll eventually find one that's right for you. Don't feel like you have to settle.

#1 was an a$$hole who shouldn't have been allowed to practice psychiatry on concrete walls, nevermind human beings.

#2 was a fabulous person, who unfortunately died unexpectedly several months after my first appointment.

Luckily at support group a woman recommended my current pdoc, who I like. He's not warm and fuzzy but he's a decent guy and was willing to work with me to find the right combo.

It took three, but the fourth is a very good doctor.  Kind, thorough, professional, 20 min appointments for med management where he remembers what we talked about last time.  And a cute little hipster receptionist with spiked hair and probably some tats somewhere.

I've had 2, of which the first was okay, the second is my current pdoc, whom I have seen for 5 years almost. There is a 15 year gap in between them because I wasn't being treated.

My son has seen 5 in his 14 yrs. of life, because of the shortage of good, affordable child pdocs. We hated 2, then 2 others weren't in our insurance plan, and he currently sees my pdoc, which is the best thing we could have done.

I lucked out and have actually only ever seen one pdoc. She also works at the crisis unit, which is where I was IP a couple of years ago. So, I had the luck of seeing her there too. She's a wonderful doctor, really thorough and just plain nice. We have one hour sessions where she includes counselling if I need it. I am very satisfied. 

IMO, waiting 3.5 hrs in a waiting room is disrespectful. Your time is worth money as well. Sitting in the waiting room waiting for appointments is why I left my last pdoc. Nice enough person but I was taking off from work to go to appointments and would regularly sit in the waiting room for hours. The last appointment I had was for something like 3 pm. My uncle had just died and I told them when I checked in that I needed to be out of there by 6 pm because of needing to attend the visitation at the funeral home at 7 pm. When 6 pm came, I got up and left. I never returned. 

One more thing I wanted to add. It isn't finding someone you like. It's finding someone you can work with because that's what this is all about. If you've got BP then you're in it for the long haul. You need someone you trust that you can work with. What they're like is secondary. You need mutual respect because this is a relationship that may last for decades. Sometimes, these relationships last longer than marriages. 

My first one sucked, my 2nd was awesome up until the last couple months, this new one is in the same office as the last but is different in a good way. I almost like him more than the last, he's patient and doesn't just throw meds at me. The last guy was very patient and got me through the worst, but yea...I think I've been lucky so far

One more thing I wanted to add. It isn't finding someone you like. It's finding someone you can work with because that's what this is all about. If you've got BP then you're in it for the long haul. You need someone you trust that you can work with. What they're like is secondary. You need mutual respect because this is a relationship that may last for decades. Sometimes, these relationships last longer than marriages. 

That is so true sylvan.  The Pdoc I was with twelve years. I didn't always agree or like him but I trusted him.  This one now, his "snap out of it" comment is really becoming the straw that broke the camels back with me.  That is like something you learn is wrong about depression in a high school psychology class.  I've just been wondering is it me that was being too picky.