CrazyBoards.org

IS apathy normal for most

I want to know if being this was is normal for us who take psych meds...I always look down on myself when my friends, parents say your doing nothing and just getting money from the goverment...UGH.....I would love someimes to allow ppl a peek into the shoes I'm wearing.

Unfortunately I think meds create this. I've been on a number in the past and generally if I've come off them it's due to the fact that I cannot stand feeling such nothingness anymore. It's great that they help, but not so great when after a while that blankness takes over and it's a feeling that's impossible to explain to anyone who's never been in this situation.

Wow, you have some unsupportive family and friends there. Do they know you have an illness? I do not work and I live off government benefits, but no one says things like that to me. I know what you mean about wishing people could walk a mile in your shoes. I have this employment consultant who just doesn't get it. She always makes me feel guilty that my health isn't improving fast enough. I wish I could "gift" her some mental illness so she can see what it's like.

On apathy, I feel no more apathetic now than I did when I was off meds. Less, maybe. Some meds have made me apathetic (Lexapro, Zyprexa) but the ones I'm on now don't.

Fuck your friends and parents. I work full time and still get their shit about there is nothing wrong with me and I'm just weak. Weak, if they only knew what i go thru, what I feel, see, hear. And still manage to some how be highly functional and hold a full time job. I would love for them to experience what I do for just one week and see how strong they would be lol. They may mean well but you should know they have no clue. BTW I also get totally psychotic on weed! Turn in to a full fledged schizo no lie! 

As for apathy. I hate that. When I get to that point I know I'm over med. I take enough meds to reduce my cycles and extremes to safer levels, not to get rid of them as I enjoy them too much. I'm a firm believer of embracing my madness. To quote the wonderful Robin Williams who said it best, " You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."

I want to know if being this was is normal for us who take psych meds...I always look down on myself when my friends, parents say your doing nothing and just getting money from the goverment...UGH.....I would love someimes to allow ppl a peek into the shoes I'm wearing.

Talking of apathy, I've had problems with it before meds, though it's possible the pills have made it worse. There are meds that cause it, I think.

As for "friends" and family who say you're just taking money, or aren't trying hard enough, or whatever, their disrespect and misunderstanding aren't your fault. Try to keep in mind that you aren't making up your suffering, and you didn't sign up for it. MI is not exactly something you can just get over. Stick with your treatment and keep working. All you can do is your best, and all you answer to is yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think apathy is normal in a healthy person because if apathy were the norm society would be at a standstill, nothing would ever get done. That being said, I think apathy makes sense for a variety of mental illnesses. I know I feel really apathetic since becoming unwell when I used to have ambition. Sometimes medications made me apathetic but usually when those medications weren't working for me or when I needed something to be added to it. Apathy isnt something people are sympathetic to when they are already unsympathetic. My parents always were angry at me becau se I was apathetic and had problems with executive functions, I looked very lazy. Was physically ill and fatigued too. They tried putting me in the military because they thought I was so lazy. They just didnt understand, it doesnt sound like your family understand either. Ignorance can be harsh