CrazyBoards.org

I'm forgetfull about my meds and I am getting very irritable and impulsive

I take 5mg Aripiprazole (spelling?) with a dx of schizophrenia.

Anyway, lately I have not been taking my meds regular because I forget. It's hard to remember when I'm feeling so well.

I have an appointment with another pdoc now on Tuesday for reassessment because I want to come off meds the proper way. But now I am not sure about it.

Some symptoms I am feeling are irritability ( I don't lash out on strangers, only family which is terrible I know), and my mum said I am spending way too much money. Last week I bought £2000 bangles, and this week I want a phone. And I feel restless until I get what I want but I don't feel satisfieied. This is so unlike me and I've only been like this since I started the meds over 3.5 years ago. I was never so irritable and impulsive like this.

I do not have bipolar because the psychiatrist confirmed this a couple of months ago, she really believes its paranoid schizophrenia. So why am I feeling so irritable and impulsive? Idk.

Pearly -

You say that the issues that are causing you problems are the result of you forgetting to take your meds on a regular basis, yet you also say that you want to come off your meds.  Would it not stand to reason that if missing some of your meds gives rise to your symptoms, missing all of them would make your symptoms far, far worse?  If you think about it, is coming off your meds actually a good idea when you're symptomatic?  If the meds you're taking aren't working for you, there may well be alternatives your pdoc can recommend for you.

While the pricey bangles aren't going to help your symptoms, a smart phone just might.  A smart phone is your friend when it comes to remembering to take your meds, because you can set the alarm on the phone to go off at meds time no matter where you are.  That way, you don't have to rely on your brain to do the remembering.  That might be something to invest in.  If money is tight, you might think about selling something you don't actually need - like the pricey bangles.

Cerberus

Abilify made me manic. Something to consider. 

But it is hard to know what your problems are. Why do you want to come off the meds? Did the manic / impulsive stuff only start after you went on abilify?

I know that when I stopped abilify the mania stopped, but i HAD to get on another antipsychotic. Going off all meds when you have this mental illness is just asking for trouble and hospitalization.

Edited by Pamito

• 2 weeks later...

Guys i read the leaflet on the ability and it says not to take if you have had a past history of a gambling problem. Ok I might not have a gambling problem but I also did not spend this much money. Guilt used to face me when spending. Now I don't think twice about it. I feel terrible about it.

Guys i read the leaflet on the ability and it says not to take if you have had a past history of a gambling problem. Ok I might not have a gambling problem but I also did not spend this much money. Guilt used to face me when spending. Now I don't think twice about it. I feel terrible about it.

Do you see your pdoc soon?  Can you call when they open and ask about the spending and having trouble remembering to take your med?

Guilt used to face me when spending. Now I don't think twice about it. I feel terrible about it.

I take Abilify, and I have noticed this problem, not with spending, but with eating. I can eat, eat, eat and not feel guilty like before. That's because Abilify is also a partial dopamine agonist.

Edited by jt07

Abilify made me turn into a gambler. I was never one before.

I stopped the med and now I am back to normal. it IS a real problem, albeit uncommon. Talk to your Pdoc.

My Pdoc still is alarmed that Abilify made me into a gambler. It's real.