CrazyBoards.org

Why do I have intrusive thoughts?

Hi all. I was diagnosed with psychosis about 4 years ago. What triggered an episode which nearly cost me my life was a series of intrusive thoughts. I still have them and don't understand why. They aren't my thoughts, they come into my mind without my construction and often involve harm towards my family, which I find very distressing at times. I don't even know how to approach this or what to do about it. It seems that they are so deeply embedded in my psyche that there is nothing I can do about it. Even asa teenager I had them a lot. Am I going to suffer from them all my life?

I suffered from this too. The only way I was able to get rid of them was through medication (antipsychotic and antidepressant).

You dont have to live with this disturbing thoughts. There are meds that can improve your symptoms.

It is important, that you see a doctor.

Edited by CookieN

Everyone gets random thoughts that have nothing to do with who they are as a person or their values.  Earliar today I had a thought about how easy it would be to push this guy off a bridge to his death.  I don't have intrusive thoughts OCD so I didn't worry about it.  The question isn't whether or not you can get rid of the thoughts but how comfortable you can be with having them.  Pyschosis can make it harder to maintain perspective of what thoughts are irrelevant but not impossible.  In general, as others here have suggested maintaing a consistent and doctor-recommended regime of sleep, medication, exercise, diet etc. etc. can really help to maintain as much of a sense of stability and normalcy as possible.  Best of luck!

Edited by BadgerTime