CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
koa

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

I guess the real answer is "wherever I can get a job," but it is fun to daydream.

I am trying to figure this out myself, although I'm probably going to stick to the US mainland...  But I think it would be fun to hear the different places people are interested in.

I am thinking Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia or Washington State because I like mountains and trees.

If I could live anywhere in the world I think it would be New Zealand, Iceland or maybe Patagonia.  

Edited by koakua

It's not really a where as in a city or someplace like that, but an environment; I would like to live in the wide open country. No crops, no cows or horses,just the cats and dog, maybe 2 trees.

The dreamer in me would love to live in New Zealand, with its spectacular biodiversity, beauty, and temperate but regionally variable climate.

The realist in me knows that I will probably stay stateside, so trips to NZ, India, and Patagonia are now on my bucket list.

Another great new topic! I like it!

And wow, it's so hard to answer. I'd like to live several different places for different reasons.

I kind of like where I am - in the middle of the woods - but I don't like my house. I'd like a smaller, simpler house with a big, covered porch. I wouldn't mind being isolated, with the nearest neighbor beyond walking distances.

I'd also like to live somewhere in the west that has vistas of red canyons. The Grand Canyon or Red Rock Canyon, for example.

Hawaii, on one of the lesser occupied islands. Beach proximity isn't important to me, although I'd like to be able to SEE the water, even at a great distance.

Outside of the US:

Montreal

Riga, Latvia. Or Jurmula instead of Riga. Or in-country. Shit, pretty much anywhere in Latvia

Helsinki

Phuket

Hong Kong

Wow, this is a challenge.  I'm just going to consider the US too to make it simpler.  If money/cost-of-living/job market were no issue (and if I could also transport my parents too because being too far away from them has been a deterrant to me moving "out west" in the past), I would choose to live in a place that was geographically beatuiful:

-Portland, OR or nearby coastal town (some of the most BEAUTIFUL beach scenaries are I have other seen.

-Seattle, WA-- one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen, proximity to the mountains, etc etc

-Grand Canyon area, AZ-- need I say more?  Gorgeous nature sceneries, great hiking/camping, rivers, etc. Plus my hair would look awesome (no humidity), and the weather rocks.

-San Diego, CA-- perfect weather year round, minimal persipitation (sp?), lots of stuff to do, beautiful city

- Hawaii-- gorgeous beaches, other geographic wonders, great weather

I guess if I could pick a "dream place" outside of the US, I would go for Phuket, Thailand....provided I could get a job, and the poverty of the rest of the country was addressed.

This topic makes me happy!  I was definitely born on the "wrong coast" (i.e. East Coast USA), but as I get older and older, it becomes less important for me to find my "perfect spot."  I've lived in a few different places, one place abroad, and I can find the happiness in any location....it's all about being content with myself (I take myself everywhere), finding people that I enjoy spending time with, etc).  I used to believe in the "geographic cure" but not so much anymore....it's fun to dream though!

I'd live in Vermont. Huh. That's where I'm from. Maybe I need to think about that :)

But, as far as overseas, I have big dreams. Would love to live in Copenhagen for the progressive politics. Not for the herring so much.

Spain-One side of my family hails from there and I visited. It was like paradise.

London-spent a semester abroad there and though the gloomy rain sucks, the city is incredible.

Probably London. I love the anonymity it gives. Like you can walk down the street in your PJ's and no one will care. And the architecture is amazing.

Or somewhere out in the country, maybe scotland or a remote part of Southern Ireland.

Edited by The one lurking behind you

In the US, I would love to live on the coast of Northern California, like around Arcata maybe.

In other parts of North America, Montreal or Vancouver, or Quebec City. 

But my top three places to live worldwide would be Barcelona (unless Catalonia becomes independent, then I would choose Seville or Madrid), Lyon, or Brussels. 

Also wouldn't mind living in Buenos Aires or Santiago. 

Edited by hagar running

I like where I live in Central California coast. If I could have a magic wand, I'd make the area more affordable and have my friends live close by. But I can't beat the beauty of the area and I love the pace of life here.

I don't know where, geographically, since there are a number of places where my ideal scenario could work.

what I do know is I would want to live in a small house (large houses are creepy) on a BIG lot (no f***ing neighbors) with vegetable and flower gardens and a greenhouse, a large workshop/garage, and a fenced area for dog(s) to play in.

ideally this would be in a very isolated, open country type of area which often has clear skies, since I am much happier when I can see the stars almost every night. also needs somewhat easy access to highways because I like to driiiiiive.

yes, I know, I will never be able to afford the home of my dreams. *cries*

I would move back to the bay area. I loved it while we were living there, but the politics and the COL were too much for us so we came back to UT. Now we are trying to move out to Seattle. I love that area. It has a great culture and environment and its only 1.5 hours away from the beach. A cold beach, true, but a beach nonetheless. 

Washington State is beautiful. I've spent a lot of time in the Seattle area. I've always wanted to buy an old trawler to fix up and live on in Seattle or Portland. I could explore the Puget Sound for years, and I would love to wander on up the coastlines up through BC and Alaska. I would also like to try living on the Louisiana bayou or Mississippi Delta for awhile... just for something different. 

Very good question. I like dreams, and I like people who like to dream and then try to make those dreams come true.

To be sincere I would like to live in "Happy-land", a place where everything would be magic, and I wouldn´t have mood swings or symptoms.

Although to me, happiness, is inside of people not outside. I always try to make the best of the place I am living in. Sometimes we try to look for happiness outside ourselves, thinking if we change places we will be happier.

However, I do know I would like to live in a city that had both, the city per se, but a lot of nature in it. Maybe parks.

Inside of US: Denver, Boulder, Florida

Outside of US: I agree with you on Patagonia, Italy

Edited by CookieN

I agree with you guys about the idea that a geograpical change won't solve all of your problems... but for me, I think that, because I like to do things like go hiking and camping, some places will be more conducive to that than others, and that will help with my happiness.  I don't think I'd be happy in a place with neither mountains nor the ocean... like Kansas or something.

Starship Subaru, your dream home sounds basically exactly like mine.  I would love a small house in the country with a workshop and some land!  

Ahh, it is so fun to dream.

I like where I live in MA, and wouldn't change it if I had a chance to move anywhere else.

We already picked out where we wanted to live, Melbourne, Australia. My husband took the test, and had plenty of points, and I would have gone as his spouse, as I did not have plenty of points. He had a skill set that was on one of Australia's emergency job calls. I thought the obstacle was going to be my MI, but because I have never been hospitalized, it was okay. DH with his epilepsy kept getting picked up off the street and taken to ERs, so he actually had far more than the allowed hospitalizations. If he had worked at someplace like Google or Apple, they could have sponsored him, and worked around it, but he didn't want to bother to learn Apple's main programming language, and he kept *almost* getting jobs at Google. And Google was only in Sydney at that point anyway.

We also started applying to Canada, but the wait list was 2 years. We considered the UK for about 5 minutes, but at the time, our civil liberties were much broader than the UK's. Kind of funny how concerned we were in retrospect.

This was all prior to Obama and the ACA; we were actually looking for countries with national healthcare. If I knew then how awful the NHS was, we would have kicked the UK to the curb even faster.

Now with his post-surgical brain deficits, we aren't leaving the country except on trips. I am dragging him to Australia sometime before I die, dammit. Such an amazing country, but not a difficult culture for Americans to fit in to (for the good and the bad).

If DH did get his seizures under control (he is having amazing luck with a Stage 3 trial), we might apply to NZ to retire, although we pretty much consider ourselves retired. You have until you are 55, and he is 43 in a couple of weeks. I'm a cradle-robber, but even I could get enough points if it weren't for my health.

I have wanted to live in Australia since the early 90s, and my bitch of a sister has managed to live there 3 times, and has two Australian degrees. She just moved to Canada, though, I don't know why. Well, she is starting a job there, but she could have found one in Australia.

Damik, we just moved to Utah from the Bay Area, but I think we are worried about the opposite end of the political pole, we're very, very, very liberal. But it sure is gorgeous here, and the cost of living is really doable. Since DH had such a high salary when he worked, his SSDI benefits are the max allowed. My SSDI contributions are pretty pathetic, but it looks like we may have to pay income tax with our combined income! But I'm a lawyer, I'll get our AGI low enough somehow.

If someone calls me a Gentile, I'll have to laugh in their face.