CrazyBoards.org

Xboxed In

We are NOT getting this, we are NOT, no no no.

However, my girl wants an Xbox with something called a Kinnect (sp?) and then the games.  I have no clue what this stuff is and really don't want to know.  But I went on Craigslist, ebay to check out prices and I was totally lost.

What is an Xbox?  Which one do I have to get?  What is a Kinnect? Is it all in one box?  I think she wants to do some kind of dance type thing with it.  Is that a separate program?  Can I buy a used one?  And what do I have to have at home to even use this stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can probably get a pretty good deal on a new or used Xbox with Kinect at somewhere like Game Stop or Best Buy. There will probably be sales on the Xbox 360 since the new version comes out on Friday. We own a few and they are a lot of fun - if you are into video games.

Thank you!  I think I understand.  We get the xbox 360 together with the Kinect?  What exactly is a Kinect?

I am definitely not into video games.  Didn't think my girl was either but she has been talking about this Kinect thing for a while.

Yeah, that new Xbox is going to be cool. Kinect is a type of controller.

Me, the techie person, who can tell you all about fiber, final cut pro, Mac OS, I don't know what that means.  What is a controller?   Isn't the Xbox also a controller?  That's what I don't understand.  Why can't we get just the Xbox and not the Kinect.  I know all this must be just like breathing to you but I have no clue.  We are the family with no video games, ever.  Never had one.  Only a Wii which is now used just for Netflix streaming.

The Kinect is a kind of camera/motion sensor attachment for the Xbox 360. It allows you to play movement based games such as the dancing one and things like virtual golf etc. It may come with some Xbox's, but you might have to buy it separately. 

The Xbox and Kinect will work work on pretty much any TV you're likely to have. Anything made since, like 1995.

Yeah, that new Xbox is going to be cool. Kinect is a type of controller.

Me, the techie person, who can tell you all about fiber, final cut pro, Mac OS, I don't know what that means.  What is a controller?   Isn't the Xbox also a controller?  That's what I don't understand.  Why can't we get just the Xbox and not the Kinect.  I know all this must be just like breathing to you but I have no clue.  We are the family with no video games, ever.  Never had one.  Only a Wii which is now used just for Netflix streaming.

The controller is the thing with the buttons on it, you hold it while you play and use the buttons to interact with the game.

When you buy an Xbox, you usually get at least one controller with it. Some package deals may have all four of them. Having multiple controllers allows two or more people to play the Xbox together. 

See, only some games utilise the Kinect device. For most games, the player interacts by pushing buttons on the handheld controller.

The Kinect is a kind of camera/motion sensor attachment for the Xbox 360. It allows you to play movement based games such as the dancing one and things like virtual golf etc. It may come with some Xbox's, but you might have to buy it separately. 

The Xbox and Kinect will work work on pretty much any TV you're likely to have. Anything made since, like 1995.

Thank you thank you!  Now I grok.  And she does want it for some dancing game.  sigh....  Looks like she convinced hubby somehow or another to buy the dreaded thing.  

My officemate will sell me a used Xbox 360 with 20gb.  Game Stop has a refurbished Kinect.  

This seems like a great solution.  Is there any reason NOT to buy a used Xbox, et. all?

Well a used XBox360 w/20GB (which isn't much storage at all but might satisfy your daughter for some time) should be going from $40 to no more than $100.  Expect new 360 consoles to drop in price in the next few months. So if you can bargain your office mate to like 60 or 65 dollars that would be sweet.  Check amazon or Ebay for comparison prices. EDIT:  Consideration should be given if there are games coming with the console (more $)

The refurbished Kinect at gamestop:  Compare amazon prices against this.

Overall the XBox 360 is still a great system after being released 8 years ago.  My two teenage boys love to play GTAV (Grand Theft Auto 5)on it and so do I. It's crazy fun and I would suggest that you purchase it along with whatever dancing game she wants.  GTA5 has a M rating..it has much more profanity than previous versions and I would say the minimum age to play it would be 15 or 16.  So plan on playing it after bedtime.  lol

cheers

Edited by Destro

My officemate will sell me a used Xbox 360 with 20gb.  Game Stop has a refurbished Kinect.  

This seems like a great solution.  Is there any reason NOT to buy a used Xbox, et. all?

Well a used XBox360 w/20GB (which isn't much storage at all but might satisfy your daughter for some time) should be going from $40 to no more than $100.  Expect new 360 consoles to drop in price in the next few months. So if you can bargain your office mate to like 60 or 65 dollars that would be sweet.  Check amazon or Ebay for comparison prices. EDIT:  Consideration should be given if there are games coming with the console (more $)

The refurbished Kinect at gamestop:  Compare amazon prices against this.

Overall the XBox 360 is still a great system after being released 8 years ago.  My two teenage boys love to play GTAV (Grand Theft Auto 5)on it and so do I. It's crazy fun and I would suggest that you purchase it along with whatever dancing game she wants.  GTA5 has a M rating..it has much more profanity than previous versions and I would say the minimum age to play it would be 15 or 16.  So plan on playing it after bedtime.  lol

cheers

Thank you!!  Turns out, she wants Grand Theft Auto.  Who knew?  I think hubby secretly wants to play.

Unfortunately officemate promised xbox to cousin first.  Found one at Gamestop refurbished for $99.  Going to call them and see if they sell bundles and such.

I would not recommend getting a used Xbox. The older models can overheat and may be banned from the online service.

Get an Xbox 360 Slim with Kinect with a 250GB hard drive. They will give you a warranty with this one, you won't get one with an old used 20GB model.

The new Xbox, the Xbox One, came out on Friday. This should make the 360 bundles cheaper.

The best kinect dancing game is Dance Central 1, 2, or 3. A lot of the other dancing games do not work as well.

I'm an Xbox Ambassador and reviewer so you can trust me.

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything about the console!

I would not recommend getting a used Xbox. The older models can overheat and may be banned from the online service.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. 183-464-large.jpg

Also, Grand Theft Auto is not suitable for anyone under the age of 16, at best. It contains murder, prostitution, explicit content, and the like.

Again, agreed.

Get an Xbox 360 Slim with Kinect with a 250GB hard drive. They will give you a warranty with this one, you won't get one with an old used 20GB model.

The new Xbox, the Xbox One, came out on Friday. This should make the 360 bundles cheaper.

The best kinect dancing game is Dance Central 1, 2, or 3. A lot of the other dancing games do not work as well.

I'm an Xbox Ambassador and reviewer so you can trust me.

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything about the console!

Thank you!  We ended up with a refurbished unit from Game Stop.  Comes with a warranty and was one of the better price offers.  This has all turned out to be much more expensive than we can afford.  Supposedly a friend of my girl is giving her a kinect - they have an extra one.

Grand Theft Auto is a complete surprise.  Apparently she played this with her friends online (yet another expense - xbox live?).  She is very sensitive to violence, et. al.  Hubby does not want the game in our house.  NOt sure what to do at this point. It is also very expensive.  Found one for half price on ebay.  The dance stuff sounds much better but then we have to get the kinect, which we don't have as of yet.

sigh.....the rubber band bracelet maker is much easier to deal with. :-}

The LEGO games are great and you will find them cheap on eBay. Good for both adults and kids. There's lego indiana jones, batman, pirates of the caribbean, lord of the rings. Plus more. 

Grand theft auto is recent so it will be expensive. Also, as aforementioned, it's not good for young ones. 

Amazon is having a huge sale on black friday so you may be able to get games really cheap then!