CrazyBoards.org

Do things, people places cause you mania?

I was just wondering since when I get into deep thought about God or I'm praying. I can kinda feel that high....No where near what it used to be when I wasn't on any meds....When I was younger and after lunch we would walk in the hallway back to class and I would suddenly be really happy...It was mostly because I thought of my dad when he was a real dad....This is when I was about 9.

i have only ever been thrown into (hypo)mania by sudden life/circumstance changes.  on the flip side, i can definitely feel suddenly depressed just from thinking too deeply about things/people.  sometimes it lasts a day or two, and sometimes it turns into a full-blown depressive episode. 

i do tend to feel very happy when i'm at the beach, but i wouldn't call it mania.  being there is what i call "beach therapy" -- sunshine, increased oxygen, the hypnotic sound of the waves, and a good long swim (i.e. chelation treatment & exercise :P ).  makes me feel closer to mother nature, and feeds my soul, kind of like a high.  but it doesn't last very long after i leave.  :closedeyes:

Edited by crazy_person

When I made my conversion to Christ....It was like a explosion took place and I had this supernatural energy limitless energy that compelled me to share the word of God because if I had went thru that by giving my life to the Lord.....Then people are crazy for not wanting to feel that hypomania high. I'm just now discovering how I was able to love a job and keep it down. Enjoy people unless they piss me off then I would stay upset for like a week.The more I look at it in my life I have had several moments where I just had this pure euphoria come over me but I just thought that was everybody

Nope. Pretty much just stress and lack of sleep. Intense life circumstances/events can cause stress, which can cause lack of sleep, which can cause mania, but it's clearly indirect, and takes a little while. Nothing can immediately shift my mood state or cause an episode; external stimuli only affects whatever headspace I'm already in, with the possibility of general destabilization over the course of a few days leading to mania if it's not quickly controlled.

Not exactly. Extreme, prolonged stress can push me into a depressive episode, short-term stress bums me out but doesn't make me feel truly depressed - there's a distinct difference between the two, and I can recognize that difference. Mania usually just happens and I'm clued into the fact after it's become obvious to others - just as with the difference between being bummed and depressed, my suddenly doing a jig in front of the Christmas store because it's the first sign Christmas is coming is just excitement at the prospect of Christmas, it's not mania and it's something everyone experiences from time to time with certain interests.

It's important not to pathologize your everyday life. Sometimes you will feel incredibly happy because of some event - this is normal. Sometimes you will feel incredibly sad because of some event - this is normal. Feeling these things for days or weeks on end without a specific event being tied to it, or in excess to what's considered a normal timeframe (eg. if you've won the lottery you're going to be happy for days or weeks, if you've won a cup of coffee you're going to be excited for a day and might smile about it the following few days as the memory pops into your mind but after a week you should be feeling less excited, not moreso as time passes) is when you should be worried, but those single day/hour-long moments of euphoria or sadness are entirely normal.

I always start ramping up in september and the ride high through the holidays. I just finally made the corelation this year. My pdoc doubled my trileptal and I feel pretty good. He said we will start lowering it after the first of the year and from now on just raise it back up each fall.

Sometimes it happens when I'm around a certain person...I get excessively happy. Certain places also have that effect on me.

Yes, I tend to get really hyper/giddy around this one friend and she actually commented how we're both really hyper around one another. She just got diagnosed as bipolar. Well, how do ya like that?

I just mostly nailed a huge project and after having the screaming mimis at my boss last wednesday, I win mostly.  Now I'm like WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO except I want to throw things and stuff too and maybe go do weird stupid things so I'm not really sure what's going on but I don't think it's what other people call normal but I'm going home then it should be okay when I'm in the "wooooooooooooomb".  

No, not really. Forced lack of sleep makes me short-time manic, but then I want to catch up on the sleep quickly, whereas in real mania I do not. When I am manic, I think the circumstances/places influence if it will be a happy euphoric mania or dysphoric mania. Some people also clearly bring out the euphoric side if I'm already on the high end, but they don't make me manic.

nope, just the normal ups and down people and places produce or contribute to. Some people get me really happy or in a good mood or in a goofy crazy mood but it's short lived and not extreme on the line everyone feels, and likewise some people get me down or angry, pretty much normal moods emotions on baseline. Generally when I go manic it seems to creep on me and for no particular reason. That's just me.