CrazyBoards.org

I just lost my disability CDR - IMPORTANT

I don't know why - I don't know how. Either the fact that I went back to school trumped everything in their system, or the UNF docs were incompetent and screwed me.

According to UNF I'm an outlier who can manage not to fail school in spite of being too bad to actually "be" in school. The doc who did the paperwork suppressed laughter at the thought of me not qualifying easily.

And yet, it took two days from final submission of the local SS office for them to decide to cut me off.

Needless to say I'm too upset to have any confidence in my ability to even reach out to someone without scaring them right now. If I was a mandated reporter - I'd report myself.

The point of this post is that I need all the information/help you can provide with the steps I need to follow now.

The letter said I have 10 days to appeal for benefit continuation, but it didn't say how to do that. It mentioned lawyer groups, but gave no specifics or contacts. It said crap about being able to confront those involved and have providers appear at hearings, etc.. with no real info.

If someone can give me a list of what to do, who to call, and in what order - you'd be helping me more than I can say.

I live in Jacksonville, FL.

(Mods: I know open-board location disclosures are ill-advised, but I've left enough info over the years that it's hardly difficult to figure out anyway - it can always be edited out later. You have my permission to do so if I forget.)

Also -- any advice you could give with sharing vs holding back the fact that losing SSDI will kill me would be appreciated. I've always known that the worst case scenario in this would absolutely break down every barrier I have to that, but relaying that fact may do more harm than good -- or worse, look like a manipulation of some type. It's the truth, but SS likely doesn't include it in their consideration.

Finally, don't be concerned if I don't respond to this post - I may not be mentally able to. I'll be reading though.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a phone number somewhere on the letter for your local office. Call them RIGHT AWAY to tell them that you wish to appeal the decision.

It would probably be a good idea to consult or hire a lawyer who specializes in disability cases.

I'm sorry to hear that happened.

There is. But they only answer it during business hours, right? I didn't get the mail till 8pm.

Can I do the appeal over the phone? Does it mark the response within 10 days in their system if there's paperwork involved?

Thank you Woo. If you can handle it, I may need to lean on you a bit in PM's through this. I know you have a high load right now though, so if it would affect that, then just decline & I'll understand.

I second the getting a lawyer ... you might be able to find one who works pro bono.  Maybe google, "lawyers Jacksonville Florida pro bono disability" -- I just googled it and a lot of links came up.  I'd copy the links but there are a lot there; it would be easier googling it and picking the one you wanted to check out.

Sorry, cet... I wish I could be more available, but my workload is REALLY high right now. I will try to catch you here as I can.

That's perfectly understandable. We all have our limits, and your work has to be your priority - I think you're over-taxed as it is. I wouldn't feel ok with taking anything away from that. Just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. :) Let me know if it slows down to a point where you have the extra inner resources.

The first one might. I see it has a section on Specialty Panels : Disability.

The second has too much info for me to get through ATM, but a term search shows no results for "Disability, SSDI, Social Security" - there may be an odd phrase hidden, but nothing jumps out.

The third one - I filled out the form with the selection of those willing to work out of county, but my county (Duval - the largest in FL) isn't listed. (Even with undoing the "out of county" selection - Duval isn't an option.) So I tried Putnam, my parent's county, and it came up with no lawyers that matched the criteria. (It didn't let me do a "select all" on the county list.)

I can't see a way to get a list from the first link for "Specialty Panel" lawyers. (But I may just be unable to figure out their navigation)

I haven't seen that site. I do know that schooling wasn't an issue in previous SSDI assessments, but was rumored to be gaining weight in the new system.

It was unclear exactly how much weight that was & if it could act as a dismisser.

The thing is, while I went to school and passed - not only did I need heavy disability accomodations.. the professors worked with me to a very high extent - (like not having to come to class at all, change of class structure to an online method, modification of grading, Incompletes, etc.) Things far and beyond the norm. The only reason why I could make the grades was because I have a gifted IQ & therefore, virtually no real work is required on my part but to listen and absorb.

And even with all of that - the pdoc was shocked that I wasn't flunking out.

Also, the first question I got upon readmission and my first visit to the Counseling/Psych office for support was whether or not my documentation saying I was mentally well enough to re-admit was accurate - they immediately assumed it was forged. My low mental state was that obvious. (Truthfully, I had a tdoc who bent the rules and I was the one who wrote that note after hearing exactly what it would take to get me re-admitted.) I wanted to go, and she let me do what was needed to get there. It served as a positive element, and even after realizing the forgery(?).. the docs agreed that it was in my best mental interest to have it.

Also - only being able to go to school half the time - even when you have two classes a couple times a week.. (so like less than 5 hours?)... And even failing to maintain that... how the hell could I ever hold down a job?

School you can skip. You can even not go at all. Work is not like that. They're completely different.

That may be SS's stance, but it's inaccurate.

Right now I'm feeling like I shot myself in the foot by trying - but I was trying to better myself. Have a career if I magically got better rather than be stuck with no education. Pushing boundaries is supposed to be good for MI.. to keep trying. I guess I shouldn't have.

#1) And most important.  Do whatever it takes to take care of yourself.  PDocs, Gdocs, PRN meds, Get together with friends, family, Watch a Comedy whatever. 

#2) I would call the number and say "I want to appeal this - how do I do it"   Make sure you note the person's name, the time and date.   They will be doing it on their end.   Do that right now. 

#3) Lawyers have some kind of network among themselves (Or so it seems in my limited experience) call one of them and tell them whats going on and ask them to direct you to the right person.  Its better to get info from someone in "the biz" then looking at lawyers web sites.  They maybe great at HTML and suck at law.

#4) Be sure your doing #1.   Seriously - You've helped a lot of people here.  Most importantly me! 

Remember that whatever happens you will figure something out.  I lost some Financial support (Missed mailing some stupid forms  SIGH and went into a spin but found ways to make everything work. 

#5) This might not be on the right track but I got in touch with Lutheran Social Services and  a guy called who knew money and had a ton of good advice that helped.

The first one might. I see it has a section on Specialty Panels : Disability.

The second has too much info for me to get through ATM, but a term search shows no results for "Disability, SSDI, Social Security" - there may be an odd phrase hidden, but nothing jumps out.

The third one - I filled out the form with the selection of those willing to work out of county, but my county (Duval - the largest in FL) isn't listed. (Even with undoing the "out of county" selection - Duval isn't an option.) So I tried Putnam, my parent's county, and it came up with no lawyers that matched the criteria. (It didn't let me do a "select all" on the county list.)

I can't see a way to get a list from the first link for "Specialty Panel" lawyers. (But I may just be unable to figure out their navigation)

From the first link, there is a number to call at the top of the page ...

Phone (800) 342-8011

Monday through Friday

8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Maybe they can answer your questions and if not, guide you to another place/person who specializes in disability.

Edited by melissaw72

http://www.shb.com/probono.aspx

From the link above:

As a leader in the delivery of pro bono legal services, Shook, Hardy & Bacon provides approximately 30,000 hours of free legal counsel on an annual basis, donating its expertise and resources to communities across the United States. In recent years, SHB attorneys have assisted unaccompanied minors in immigration proceedings, staffed legal clinics and advocated on behalf of disabled individuals. These pro bono efforts reflect the firm’s dedication to representing the underserved in matters as diverse in nature and scope as the attorneys who handle them.

To institutionalize this ongoing commitment, SHB has appointed a full-time director of pro bono services, who partners with the Pro Bono Committee and a full-time pro bono staff to administer the program's day-to-day activities.

Director of Pro Bono Services:  Jolie L. Justus 816-474-6550

I can't navigate the site well, but maybe if you call the number above they can help?

http://www.jaxlegalaid.org/

http://www.jaxlegalaid.org/ada.html

^^ There is an above name and email address.  I'm not sure if this is the kind you are looking for, but it was there so I thought I'd post it just in case.

Also:

How about these people?  There are specific people who help with SSDI cases:

http://www.justia.com/lawyers/social-security-disability-ssi/florida/jacksonville

Edited by melissaw72

That's not true that if you can go to school you disqualify for SSDI, there are several members on this site who are doing both. I know people IRL who are doing so to. Mdjunction is not a legal site.

I don't know what to suggest because it is happening so quickly, but definitely be on the phone at daybreak.

#1) And most important.  Do whatever it takes to take care of yourself.  PDocs, Gdocs, PRN meds, Get together with friends, family, Watch a Comedy whatever.

I came very close to telling my mom to drive up here - but she wouldn't want to spend the night and tomorrow is when I'll need the SS help.. so I went with letting her (via txt - she was alseep) know I likely need her to drive up tomorrow. I called three good friends.. but only one is in town and she screens her calls.. so I wasn't lucky enough to get through to ask her to come over here tonight. She won't see the msg till tomorrow. As for the other two, I could only let them know I need them if they're able.. but they live in another part of the state.

I did sent an email request for an emergency/work-in appointment with the Mayo pdoc.. but that's not a regular practice & he may not even work on Thursdays. But I tried.

I ended up taking Xanax and a few shots of booze, so I'm somewhat calmer and less hysterical. And as "bad" as that may be.. considering what I felt I needed was a shot of Haldol (which I've never had - but that seems to be the ER staple) - it seemed the best approximation I have access to.

Given my movement issues with AAP's & therefore high reluctance to ever take an AP - I consider that a pretty big indication of severity.

For a bit, I thought it may decrease my barriers to possible suicidal acts & bring a negative to the equation. It tends to do that. But - it didn't in the least.

That may sound good.. but what it really means is that I'm too depressed to be suicidal. I've been that way since I realized I can't stop my constant fever and pain... but knowing it persists through the normal booze triggers (which I have a history of resisting - so I wasn't worried) -- well that speaks of a whole other level of notgood.

#2) I would call the number and say "I want to appeal this - how do I do it"   Make sure you note the person's name, the time and date.   They will be doing it on their end.   Do that right now.

The problem is I can't. At least not right not - though it's 2AM now so it's not an option. Hopefully I'll have the ability in the morning.. but the way I've crashed -- I'm not so sure. I left a message with a couple people that I need help, so hopefully someone will come through and can do it for me. It actually kind of scares me that it's beyond my ability right now. I hate talking on the phone.. sure. But this is worse.

Seriously - You've helped a lot of people here.  Most importantly me! 

Remember that whatever happens you will figure something out.

Thank you. I used to think that I could figure out anything... but as things go south repeatedly.. I'm being to wonder. I appreciate the vote of confidence though.

--- New Post --- Site is giving me crap

You're welcome :)  I hope one of those people can help you!  You can call me Melissa :)

Ok. My name is actually Melissa too. :)

Edited by Cetkat

That's not true that if you can go to school you disqualify for SSDI, there are several members on this site who are doing both. I know people IRL who are doing so to. Mdjunction is not a legal site.

I don't know what to suggest because it is happening so quickly, but definitely be on the phone at daybreak.

Do you have any hypotheses with what may have gone wrong with the doc reports to SSDI? I don't know if that type of discussion ever came up way-back-when, but it's very confusing how what they told me translated to a "no" from SS.