CrazyBoards.org

Ok so I was talking to a friend few days ago and was shocked to learn that she doesn't feel pain in her dreams. I've been asking people since (probably like 13 people) and they all said that they do not feel pain in their dreams either except for one who said maybe once or twice. I feel pain in all my dreams where I am injured (probably at least 4-5 nights a week) and it's super strong. I broke my arm in real life once and then years later in a dream and the pain in the dream was equivalent to the real life pain. I have dreams about my teeth getting knocked out, being cut, being given drugs that result in painful side effects, breaking bones, being shot, not being able to breathe etc. and they all hurt like it's really happening!

I'm not really upset by it or anything because it's been happening all my life i.e "normal" but I'm super curious!!

Do you guys have this? Do you think it's psychosis/MI related? I also have synesthesia but only found out about two years ago when i was shocked to find out other people couldn't hear colors, taste words, etc. I just thought that's how everybody was, which is what I thought with this. 

I thought that everyone experienced physical pain when they're injured in dreams. I almost always do. I once had a vivid dream where I was bitten in the leg by a crocodile, and I felt a lot of pain in the leg where I received the bite when I woke up. It was brief, but it was intense.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of responses this thread gets.

The only time I recall feeling actual pain in my dreams is when I've dreamed of having my teeth pulled out. I vividly remember what it felt like in those dreams, and it did physically hurt. Interestingly, anytime I've woken up from these dreams I've had a really stuffy nose and bad sinus pressure, so I think that's what caused the pain in the dreams. 

I don't feel physical pain. I actually try to kill myself to get out of lucid dreams, which are almost always nightmares, and have zero sensation. When one way doesn't work (and none of them has ever worked) I bounce up and start looking for the next way of killing myself. I have never woken myself from a lucid dream, my husband or dog has to wake me.

I do feel pain in my dreams; as well as movement, and touch.

I actually try to kill myself to get out of lucid dreams, which are almost always nightmares, and have zero sensation.

^This!!!!!^

I kill myself to get out of a lucid dream, and most of the time it doesn't work. Instead my dream continues with *whatever* injury I made to myself.

I've never had psychosis. However, I am a very vivid dreamer and almost always have pain.

For example, I have a recurring dream (since I was like 7) of being bitten on the toe by a snake. The pain of the snake bite wakes me up.

That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know! I also wake up (or dream I do, but I think it's real) and cannot move or talk until I fall back a sleep and wake up over again. Sometimes it takes a few tries. That's super scary but I've looked into it and it seems like more of a thing that happens than feeling pain in dreams. It's weird though, from what I read the frequency I experience it at is so much more than other people...

I sometimes experience pain in dreams, I've had teeth related ones, torture and other pains. I have vivid and lucid dreams. Also dreams within dreams. I mean I would go through different dream levels (like Inception) and get up from one dream level and think everything's normal thinking I'm actually up in my room but I'm still asleep. Its that i don't know it. But I get up from that, confusing myself even more. OK its very hard to talk right now so that's it for now. 

i experience INTENSE pain in dreams. i've had dreams about being stabbed or shot and there is pain involved. it doesn't feel like "real life" pain though. it actually feels worse than any of the pain I've ever felt in real life. the closest thing I can think of to explain it, is that dream pain feels like the affected body part being sucked very quickly into a vortex.

i'm actually really good at waking up from lucid dreams. I open and close my eyes very hard in the dream, and it must somehow cause me to do the same thing in reality, because next thing I know, i'm awake for real. I learned how to do that when I was really little because I thought that if I died in my dream I would die in reality as well.

I don't believe I have psychosis although my thought processes or whatever you call it....they get kinda weird sometimes. I also do remember one really vivid hallucination in childhood. I can still see it in my head. my dad was there and he told me it wasn't there. but that was just one isolated incident. to this day, I have no idea what caused it.

I might have some kind of synesthesia? when i'm working on a mathematical problem it seems like my visual and tactile senses get activated and I am seeing and feeling the problem in space. but I dunno, it's not a clear enough sensation to explain which makes me think maybe it's just my problem-solving process is a little weird. also, I "hear" things that I see, which is also hard to explain--but it especially happens with things that are moving or flashing. again, I dunno. maybe that happens to everybody?

Edited by starship_subaru

I always had the idea that it has something to do with lucid dreaming, maybe? I always felt pain though, first time I noticed I was about six years old and dreamt I was electrocuted and I vividly felt it. I taste in dreams too. I can orgasm as well lol

Dreams are always vivid to me, gets confusing at times because they are so immersive and real real

I always had the idea that it has something to do with lucid dreaming, maybe? I always felt pain though, first time I noticed I was about six years old and dreamt I was electrocuted and I vividly felt it. I taste in dreams too. I can orgasm as well lol

Dreams are always vivid to me, gets confusing at times because they are so immersive and real real

Many of times I don't even know I am dreaming. The way I "test" myself is I drink or eat something. If it tastes & feels like sand or hot air then I know I am dreaming. When I know I am dreaming it tends to ease a lot of the anxiety I feel while I am asleep and actually helps the lucidness.

As well, some of the best orgasms I had in my life were while I was sleeping  ^_^

When I was younger (probably 6 or 7 years old) I dreamt of getting shot into he shoulder and it was a very warm feeling as the bullet went through. At the time I didn't know that's apparently what you really feel when you get shot. Never been shot though, so I don't really know how accurate my dream really was. Though it's pretty amazing that my dream was actually at least somewhat accurate.

I also get sleep paralysis very often and hypnopompic/hypnogogic hallucinations (usually of spiders running at me on the ceiling). The most frightening one was when I 'woke up' to the experience of my torso being cut open by a witch or something. I could feel EVERYTHING. It was horrible and luckily I knew it wasn't real while it was happening. I was so relieved when it stopped 10 to 20 seconds or so later.