CrazyBoards.org

Medication for keeping off meta-amphetamine?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could advise which medication they use to keep off meta-amphetamine. I haven't taken any of that stuff in over 6 months now and I want to make sure that I stay off it. Due to a number of mental health issues it caused, I have been advised to take seroqual but wondered if topamax might be a better drug. I was diagnosed with psychosis 3 years ago and almost there in terms of straightening myself out. As long as I don't slip back, I will hopefully be okay. I have been advised to take medication but I couldn't but completely honest with the doctor I saw. 

If someone could say what they were prescribed and how it works for them I would be very grateful.

tx

Seroquel is most typically used to restore sleep, which meth absolutely kills.  I've not heard of Topamax used for this.  I think it is used to block alcohol cravings.  Naltrexone is the go-to for thwarting cravings of the harder drugs.  

Seroquel can help with drug-induced psychosis (or psychosis in general) as well as straightening out your sleep. I don't think that Topamax will do much for you. What is your theory for thinking that Topamax is better?

Seroquel can help with drug-induced psychosis (or psychosis in general) as well as straightening out your sleep. I don't think that Topamax will do much for you. What is your theory for thinking that Topamax is better?

I don't know what's best to be honest, was just doing some research by myself.

If you experienced psychosis, Topamax wouldn't be expected to do much, if anything. 

Seroquel at low doses is helpful if you have sleep issues. At a higher dose it is beneficial for psychosis.

Naltrexone http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a685041.html might be helpful. 

You may want to look into CBT. It is thought to be a good tool to learn and use when you're dealing with substance abuse of any kind. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I stopped I was offered either Neulactil (pericyazine), a typical AP or Edronax (reboxetine), an antidepressant. The doc said those two are supposed to have some evidence for their use in meth addiction.

I opted to try the Edronax. I didn't like it. My friend tried the Neulactil (we had the same doc) and slept a hell of a lot, I can't remember whether she thought it helped her. It's hard to relapse when you're asleep, I suppose. We're both clean now.

• 1 month later...