CrazyBoards.org

Because I felt so crap with gluten I've just assumed that since cutting it out of my diet if ever I've seen the symptoms return then I've been glutened, and recently this has worked and I've always found the culprit. But last night I was glutened, a stock cube at a dinner party of all things. I had the d&v symptoms which kept me up all night as they usually do. I have aches, pains and sluggish thinking and behaviour, swollen ankles and spot clustes on my arms. Classic 'I've been glutened' stuff and I know the score, wait it out and you'll feel well enough to sleep tomorrow night.

But the d&v usually lasts a couple of hours, whilst the d has stopped the sick feeling has continued, over 12 hours later I am wondering am I sick as well as being glutened? I don't want to eat, but if I've been glutened I can eat, the thought of food right now is a nono. I tried to eat a GF plain wrap because I've been off food all day and I couldn't stomach it. Which sounds to me like a bug. I still have the other symptoms like foggy brain and sluggishness, a little bloated around the ankles still, so there may well be some gluten clinging on for dear life. I ate something a couple of hours ago, rice and cheese, and I feel so sick, so my mind says bug! 

I suppose it is possible to get a stomach bug and to gluten myself at the same time, but are there any ways you can tell between accidentally eating something you're intolerant to and just being generally sick? I'm going on physical signs like the bloating and spots as well as the gloopy brain but I just had to ask this. In the future I could get a bug and I'd probably presume I'd slipped up and eaten gluten because I don't get stomach bug sick that often, I'm more of a cold and flu kind of gal.

I think I know the answer will be just ride it out and eat safe foods if I can stomach it, but I've noticed that every twinge or ill feeling I get I just put it down to possible gluten contamination and over react most of the time. When I could just have a stomach bug...

Edited by Paperskyscraper

I don't have a problem with gluten (as far as I know) but I do have food intolerances and allergies and IBS (the intolerances often come on like an IBS attack) and it can be hard to tell sometimes. Usually with a food, if I'm still sick after 48 hours (the sick meaning quite sick not just lethargic but on the mend) I figure it's the food. There's the possibility you've reacted to something else along with the gluten too. I'd eat (if you can) very bland plain food for 24 hours, rest up and see how you feel tomorrow. If you can't stomach food at all maybe some soups you know are safe for you (clear broth with chicken and noodles is always good or veggie one's). Feel better soon!

Jessamine, I think I shall, I still felt ill went I went to bed last night and I struggled to sleep, I've had gluten symptoms that last for days or so after but the actual sickness has usually passed after a few hours so I was totally confused. Bananas rice and rice cakes for me I think, the seem pretty safe for both cases.

Melissaw, there was chicken at the party but my hubby had it too and he's perfectly fine. My brain is still pretty foggy and I actually can't remember what else I ate, so possibly. I still feel a little nauseous but whatever is going on I do feel better than yesterday.

Google did inform me that celiacs sometimes become lactose intolerant for a day or so after they've been glutened, which does make sense for them, but I am just intolerant. I was wondering if that could apply to people with an intolerance too, I did have milky tea around 10am.    

When I am glutened, I can also be sick for days. However it is mostly the after affects that lasts for days (muscle pain, headaches, brain fog, anxiety, and general ickyness) rather than the actual gut sick feeling (nauseousness, throwing up, etc.).

Google did inform me that celiacs sometimes become lactose intolerant for a day or so after they've been glutened, which does make sense for them, but I am just intolerant. I was wondering if that could apply to people with an intolerance too, I did have milky tea around 10am.    

Note that I am not celiac, I am gluten intolerant. I am also lactose intolerant when my gut is vulnerable; which basically means when I eat a lot of gluten I am also more sensitive to dairy & cheese products (as well as to other foods I can usually consume without a problem). I am not GF at the moment (although trying like hell to be so, once again!) and I become very sick with milk. If I drink milk in the day, I will be sick all day and possibly for days at a time, with the gut sickness as well as the extreme muscle pain & fatigue, gluten rash, headaches, and brain fog.

For the time being I would eat as little red-flag allergy foods as possible. Try to keep it simple in rice, maybe certain beans, and plain fruits & vegetables (as well as non-flavored or spice cooked meats if you can tolerate them). And FWIW, even though you may not be real sensitive to other foods like processed sugar, rye, oats, and even soy products, it may be worth going on an elimination diet of all allergens and slowly adding back desirable foods if you are still getting the glutened feeling while not noticeably consuming gluten.

Whatever the case may be, I do feel for you and I wish you the best of luck and health :)

^Thanks thegirl, I think I'm definitely sensitive to milky products after a Gluten Attack. So far I have linked it to gluten and completely getting rid of it from my diet has helped 100% but I was worried if I get sick with a bug then I would just presume it was gluten, or even something else. Probably over thinking and being paranoid, I'm actually afraid of eating out and at friends because I know they wont be as thorough with the food as I am, the stock cube the other day just adds to my fear.

Still feeling foggy and tired Jessamine, but I can sleep now and eat without feeling horrid, so I'm actually really happy it's over. Thank you for checking back :-)

I've been gluten free now for a few months and cannot imagine eating it again even if the doctors phoned me up and told me they'd got my results wrong and that it wasn't gluten and it was all in my mind, I never want to feel the way I feel when I've been glutened. 

I am glad you have found the culprit! I understand how difficult it is to know if, when & with what you contaminated yourself with. With my own health, even though I have been aware of what gluten is & does to my body & brain, I am still figuring out to what exactly and to what extent my intolerances go. As well it is extremely difficult to know every ingredient we consume on a daily basis unless we make it ourselves (and even then, it can be iffy).

When I was seeing a Gut doc for my suspicions of Celiac Disease, I was 100% sure I had it and refused to look back. Well after the blood tests came back negative, and the biopsy showed no immune response to the Villi (and just inflammation, IBS, and food intolerance) I was upset. But 1) I realized that because it doesn't show up on the test, I still have all the symptoms & reactions of gluten intolerance, and 2) being completely GF changed my mind & body; so I will continue to be GF (and I don't give two shits about looking like a health nut :lol:).

As a celiac, I can tell when I've been glutened because I'm sitting on the toilet with a trashcan in front of me holding my stomach like there's a knife in it begging God (I'm athiest) to please for fucks sake, kill me now.

Also, I feel like I have some sort of virus for a few days after the come-to-jesus meeting on the toilet.  Also anything spicy will make me vomit. like projectile disgusting omg what am I doing kind of vomit.  Dairy was a nono for a year after I was diagnosed so the villi could grow back.  I don't get the foggy headed stuff.  But boy you wanna talk about a mixed episode, holy shit, that can just start up in a snap when I'm in that kind of state.

Chimako, I love the way you put that!

The gluten/ill response this post was about... soon after I was on the loo with the washing up bowl practically crying for God to help me, I don't even believe in God either. To make it worse I was hungover too because I felt off but we went out and there was booze, so I stumbled to the loo at 2am and bruised every inch of myself, I couldn't distinguish between drunk, gluten symptoms and what I suspected could be an illness which I'd probably angered either way.

It was madness, and now I feel like crap mentally and I don't know if it's similar to what you have just mentioned? I think I may have just brain slammed myself into a depressive state, it would explain a lot. I just want to lie in the road and let the world just drive over me.

Being glutened makes me very very tired similar to what you said about laying in the road. I have a hard time doing anything for a couple days.  So that might be part of the crap feeling.  And OMG, I can't imagine having a hangover at the same time.  I'd just kill myself to get it over with.  

To make it worse I was hungover too because I felt off but we went out and there was booze, so I stumbled to the loo at 2am and bruised every inch of myself, I couldn't distinguish between drunk, gluten symptoms and what I suspected could be an illness which I'd probably angered either way.

There is gluten in beer.  However, there is gluten-free beer.  If you google it there is a lot of info on each kind.  I googled, "gluten in beer."

To make it worse I was hungover too because I felt off but we went out and there was booze, so I stumbled to the loo at 2am and bruised every inch of myself, I couldn't distinguish between drunk, gluten symptoms and what I suspected could be an illness which I'd probably angered either way.

I was not actually drunk, but the last time I had too many beers my ass was on the toilet & my head was in a trash can :blink: So yes, ditto.

There is gluten in beer.

Absolutely. The main ingredients in beer is wheat, malt (barley) & water. Pretty much the only thing in beer that does not make me sick is the 3-6% distilled ethanol (and maybe the water :P)

However, there is gluten-free beer.

There is a special room in hell, specifically designed for GF beer tasting ;) ROFL

I don't drink beer often (I prefer ale thought, which I avoid because of the gluten), it was vodka on that particular occasion. Which gives me a terrible hangover and is the only alcohol that does (I have no idea why, I don't even have to be full on drunk on the stuff). 

I gave up bread because GF bread is like stale death and no matter how much cheese I pile on it, it never tastes okay. I guess I'm just getting sick of commercial GF stuff like cake, bread and cereal, it tastes too bad to be worth it some times. But GF beer!? Now I'm listening... Has anyone tried the GF ale?? If they don't taste terrible I might actually try some.

To be fair: I am very, very picky about my beer :glare:  The main difference on beer & GF beer is bitterness IMHO. Redbridge is the best on my list, but it is still too bitter for me.

I like to take the chance on straight spirits. When it comes to intolerance, I have no problem with straight up alcohol like vodka, whiskey's, and rum. The real issue for me is when I mix it with highly sugared mixes & sodas.