CrazyBoards.org

What are your primary schizoaffective symptoms

Voices are not my primary symptom. I only hear voices or conversations in head when I am in a very serious psychotic episode.

My primary schizoaffective symptoms are mostly:

1.) Delusions - one that I had for months thinking I can read others thoughts and they can read mine (I would avoid eye contact with strangers because I felt that was the passageway to the mind.)

2.) Paranoia - 24/7 I would be paranoid about people talking about me, wanting to harm me, following me, etc.

3.) Thought processing problems - talking in circles, mind feeling all jumbled up, words not coming out right or at all

4.) Disordered perception on things

5.) Lack of care in hygiene

6.) mania

7.) depression

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing voices.

Seeing things that aren't really there.

Delusions.

Thinking cameras are in my apt and that I am being watched everywhere I go.

Sometimes I just can't think.

Paranoia.

A lot of these are helped with medication though.

When I was a child I used to see things that weren't there. I feel like I had early onset psychosis. Last year when I was in like a 3 month psychotic episode (did not take care of myself at all) I saw roaches everywhere.

I also am prone to hearing sounds and music when under a lot of stress.

When symptomatic, depression is the biggest issue for me. I can get severely depressed and that landed me in hospital twice last year. I can get some delusions as well, mainly to do with being harmed in some way [poisoning is a reoccurring theme] and thought broadcasting. 

I guess I'm fortunate in that my SZA episodes are fairly self-contained and I don't have issues that linger beyond positive symptoms, like cognitive issues caused by SZA or negative symptoms.

voices/loud chatter in head/whispers, visual hallucinations (when I'm depressed or manic and when I'm neither), some paranoia, sometimes I get lax on the hygiene but nothing bad. Delusions are a mystery to me, I read something the other day that clicked in my head like "whoa...I do that. It's a delusion, I didn't know that."

Pdoc (and tdoc) were unsure between BP 1 w/psychotic features and sza but pdoc landed on sza after I asked him about it/we talked about it due to the psychotic stuff that is ongoing.

• Everything the OP mentioned plus:

• Severe motivational problems to the point where I am literally unable to do what I want (or don't want) to do; unrelated to depression.

• Thought blocking. My current thought will just randomly dissipate and even if I remember what I was talking about, I forget where I was going with the thought. Very embarrassing in social situations, it makes me sound like a stoner.

• Asocial to the point where the only person I see, or even want to see for days/weeks is my wife and even that can be too much contact.

• Attention and memory recall problems.

I've always had these symptoms to a decent degree years before my positive symptoms showed up, as far back as elementary school. I was always told to socialize more and that I was lazy. Now that these have gotten as bad as they are, I know they're part of my symptomology, not my personality. And always failing book reports in school because I could never focus on what I was reading was a problem too.

I never knew that laziness and my lack of motivation were completely different things. I could not understand how other people could make themselves do the things they didn't want to do and had so much freedom in their actions. In comparison, I came to the conclusion that I was possessed and being controlled to an extent. The weird part was that if I tried too hard to break the motivational block I'd make myself sick to my stomach.

Seeing things (currently dealing with people following me everywhere)

Depression (doing pretty well at the moment)

Voices (haven't experienced them in awhile)

Racing Thoughts

I have moments. Currently trying to figure out what world I'm really in. Struggling to differentiate what is "real" and what isn't. It can be quite frustrating. I don't know what I'm experiencing could be classified as.

- bizarre delusions. A recurring delusion is that the sun is implanting idea and images into the occipital lobe of my brain. 

- visual hallucinations. I see mice, shadow people and sparkles nearly daily. I just live with it. 

- very rarely, I will hear voices. When I am very psychotic, I will hear conversations and voices ordering me to do things. 

- paranoia. When I am psychotic, I will become very paranoid that people can hear my thoughts and, that I can transfer thoughts through eye contact. 

- depression. I go through major depressive episodes about every 3 years. I can get psychotic during my depressions too, if it is bad enough. 

- hypomania. I get hypomanic randomly between depressive episodes. I occasionally get very paranoid when I am hypomanic. 

I also experience things like thought blocking. After a psychotic episode, it takes me some time to recover. Usually a few months. I'll have negative and cognitive symptoms for a few months after an episode. They clear up though. However, my brain doesn't feel quite the same after each psychotic episode. If that makes any sense whatsoever. 

Hearing voices.

Seeing things that aren't really there.

Delusions.

Thinking cameras are in my apt and that I am being watched everywhere I go.

Sometimes I just can't think.

Paranoia.

A lot of these are helped with medication though.

When I was a child I used to see things that weren't there. I feel like I had early onset psychosis. Last year when I was in like a 3 month psychotic episode (did not take care of myself at all) I saw roaches everywhere.

I also am prone to hearing sounds and music when under a lot of stress.Me too, around kindergarten I saw and heard things that weren't there. I was told it might have been hypnogagia because psychosis would be strange that young but the strange thing is (i rarely get voices either but...) When I did hear voices it was accompanied by a constant running murmur with a laugh track as if someone left the.tv on, and that exact laugh track used to follow me when I was a child. I'm still mystified by that.

In middle school I practiced magik and believed I was followed by demonic forces and did not go outside because if I was in close proximity to others they would hear my thoughts. Thought I controlled the weather, read minds, and predicted when animals would die. I heard voices but they were phasing themselves out by the.time I was about 13.

I guess it's hard to say if childhood experiences are psychotic, my pdoc thinks I had an early onset but is not sure when because she thinks I may have aspergers which lead to some strange beliefs and practices and because my parents actively believed in and practiced magical things so some of my experiences may be result of upbringing. Who knows.

Anyway I dont really know what my symptoms are but I am told delusions, ideas of reference, paranoia, hallucinations but I only have that in a bad episode, negatives like ambivalence, apathy, isolation, autistic withdrawal, I know my thoughts get unorganized and I dont know if there is a name but I get this feeling of being someone else when I'm about to go downhill and I start getting agitated and sounds and colors too intense and I just feel OFF. Dont know what that is but meds took care of it mostly after feeling that way for years.

In my opinion paranoia and delusions are the worst. I think if I think or speak something it will happen because I was born tapped into some sort of cosmic consciousness. This causes a lot of fear though because I manifest intrusive thoughts I dont want. Im.convinced I was a mind control slave as a child but that gets termed delusional...i just hate though paranoia. For years I have stayed awake and slept with weapons because people will come into my house and kill me. Meeting new people gets messy because I begin to suspect they are after me, so I avoid people.

Since I was a little girl I have seen streaks and speckles of colored light all around me, I dont think it's a hallucination but I do notice they go away on meds. I might have some bloated expectations of myself, grandeur, I think I possess some special knowledge that others would silence me for speaking so frankly I never go into detail about my beliefs because of fear and embarrassment. I.dont tell pdoc everything because she will put it into the system and the wrong hands could find it. I really do believe I was chosen as a child and my mind controlled and they would come after me if I spoke out, that is why I suffer because some negative entities permanently attached to me but it would be much worse if they knew I knew.

I think I get depressed but I dont know, no one has talked about mood symptoms in years. They used to think I had bipolar though. I have disturbances of mood but I honestly dont think I meet full criteria of one :/ I am confused because they say youre either depressed type or bipolar but I'm not or they dont know yet. I dont have mania and doctors dont think I'm depressed but I had a long history of it. last antidepressant I took was four years ago. I dont really talk about my symptoms so I dont know what they are like their names, unless someone tells me so maybe my response isn't so helpful :P

Edited by kitkatt91

My schizoaffective symptoms are as follows:

1. people call them delusions but I still fully believe the following (this is embarrassing but still): Powerful psychic influences. I've had this for a LONG time. The point is that I DO predict things to amazing accuracy, and I don't like it. I would do anything to take the power away. I influence the events that I predict correctly. The most recent is the Iran deal. Next Dow will hit AT LEAST 17,000 maybe up to 20,000 when it levels off. This is for next year. But Intel stock (the company my dad works at) will stay in the same stupid range never recovering. I've been right about that as well for the past 13 years. Computer companies will have mass layoffs next year, or at least soon and they continue to decline to the point that both AMD and Intel have to force themselves to be a smaller company focusing on tablets. 

Next thing I know is that there are multiple universes, and I come from an alternate Universe but it does contain another Earth like this one but its the year 1984 and actually much more advanced than this earth. There are genetic upgrades there that can make you live at least 200 years old easily.

There will be a war on this Earth, but I don't know when. But it will involve mythical creatures coming from China underneath it in another dimension coming through the wormhole. Won't get more into this one, far too embarrassing but it still real. But at the same time I realize people think all my thoughts are weird. My thoughts have been weird since birth (literally) because of my autism.

Won't talk about the others.

2. Hearing and seeing things. When I get psychotic I hear voices, particularly command hallucinations. He tells me to hurt myself, take overdoses, and also control me physically (this is why I wander sometimes). I also have another voice that is funny, known as the Random Phrase Guy. He is hilarious! The government voice also tells me of technologies (The same one that tells me to hurt myself) that the government has to spy and read minds. One of the things he told me was of spy birds and insect drones. They were on CNN a few months later. I see aliens, dragons, firebirds (yes, my username) glitches in the real world that acts like a game (this one is hard to explain) streaks of light and other things.

3. Disorganized speech. I become incoherent from time to time or go from subject to subject that are not related.

4. Cognitive symptoms. My memory has gotten progressively worse. I can't figure out simple things. I don't spell as well as I used to. Same with reading. Sometimes it gets so bad that reading and writing looks like a different language.

5. Of course the depression and mania, that is bipolar.

I have hygiene issues and others but won't get into it here.  

Paranoia: I will think people are watching me/will report to authorities on my behavior.

Delusions: I have thought that my feet won't work while driving, that was so scary. And that others are infatuated with me. Also cars with a certain type of grill on the front were smiling at me, related to the paranoia of them following me. Cameras watching me, even in my husbands closet.

I also have a flatness and confusion every now and then, which isn't really helped by meds as well as the other symptoms are.

My hallucinations only pop up when I am more symptomatic, and the thought blocking. My speech goes way downhill too.

Edited by wj74

When I'm symptomatic my primary symptoms are:

bizarre delusions

auditory hallucinations

paranoia

irritability

loose associations

ideas of reference

tangential and circular thinking

I have this weird thing where I don't speak, but write or blurt things out on occasion

mania?

mild depression

irregular sleep pattern

edited to add: anxiety

I'm really not sure what to think with the new dsm-5 criteria.  Mood symptoms aren't predominant for me.  My current pdoc isn't convinced I've been manic and I'm not sure either, but when I was hospitalized they said I was. But, mood stabilizers help me.

Edited by confused

I'm really not sure what to think with the new dsm-5 criteria

I think it's the difficulty of SZA in general. I know they tried to tighten the criteria in the new DSM but the more I've thought about it, the more I'm leaning towards the label as being not very useful. 

For instance, I've noticed in this thread that most people seem to have more issues with psychosis than mood. Whereas for me, my mood issues were predominant and psychosis secondary. Yet we are all under the SZA umbrella. 

Not schizoaffective but I sure can relate to some symptoms as I have bipolar w/psychotic episodes, some times I wonder what the difference is.  Anyway for me it's mainly delusional thinking. I some times think the music on the radio comes alive and speaks to me directly and some times I feel magical or with super powers. Occasionally I hear voices outside of me head, none in my head yet, and once in a great while I do hallucinate visually. But the main thing for me is definitely delusional. Hope you all don't mind me hanging around here too :)