CrazyBoards.org

Feeling low because of no job?

I have been feeling very low these past months because I don't have a job. I just graduated from college in spring and the I find my major frustrating and the job searching to be even more frustrating. I would like to get a part-time job as some sort of store stocker during a late night shift. I know it sounds stupid, but I want to start slow and at my own pace. My medications and my medical conditions are too over-powering at times, and my real career is "brain-energy" draining. Can anybody relate to this?

Also, I've been thinking of applying to Walmart. I don't want a cashier job as that would only aggravate my condition. I'm thinking about a shelf stocker. Does anybody have any positive suggestions on what Walmart stores look for in an applicant? Do they want people with resumes and with previous experience? Or inexperienced people? Are they always hiring right away?

I am saying this from a purely political place, but I don't like how Walmart treats its employees, and I don't like how they do business. I know there are areas where Walmart is pretty much all there is, but you can become a shelf stocker at any grocery store, I think. Actually, I *think* there is a type of shelf-stocker that is provided by the company selling the food, for example, Kraft, and overnight, they stock the shelves in the most attractive way possible, and maybe try to expand their presence on the shelves. I don't know how you get that kind of job, though. But it pays better than the kind of job where you work for the grocery store itself and put stock on the shelves. I think it has a sales element to it, and I suuuuck at sales.

I've done my share of retail work for a lifetime. I stocked shelves, cashiered, helped customers, sales, etc. you name it.

Stocking shelves overnight is something I would consider doing again if I'm able to in the future. No customers or not many and it's just you and your task. One thing they may ask is if you are task or goal oriented. You have to be self motivated and able to do your task and not just goof off. Not saying you would do that, just that certain people cannot handle this type of task work. Goal oriented people typically do well in sales.

Just something to think about.

Wonderful.Cheese, thank you for the advice, but I do not goof off at all. I am a hard-worker and on top of that with my medications, I find it difficult to have energy every day. The word "goof-off" sounds kind of harsh to my condition.

Edited by LonelyArtist

Wonderful.Cheese, thank you for the advice, but I do not goof off at all. I am a hard-worker and on top of that with my medications, I find it difficult to have energy every day. The word "goof-off" sounds kind of harsh to my condition.

Omg!! I was not suggesting at all that you would goof off. You certainly don't seem like you'd be that type of person. I'm very sorry if I was unclear with my words. I'm feeling muddled lately.

And I specifically said, "not saying you would do that..."

Meaning I don't think you would do that at all.

Please re read my post carefully. I did not say you would just goof off. Just said that CERTAIN people can't handle that. I most certainly did not say that YOU could not handle that type of work.

I have also started to look for work. I am very nervous about working around too many people. I once held a nice office position where I was in charge of leading and training a small group of coworkers. I seem to have regressed socially in skills since my latest bout of depression. I get sad just thinking about my doubts to be able to handle a job again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having anxiety and depression symptoms so severely that I'm not sure when I'll get to work again. I last worked in April of this year. I'm thinking of applying for disability but the process and probable denial scare me. I don't know what to do and that just feeds my suicidal ideation that much more. Sorry for hijacking your post, but I had to share.

I worked as a stocker at Target for a few months and enjoyed it. I was working a full time job at the time and found that I wasn't getting enough sleep to function so I had to quit. They usually have a team of ten to fifteen people depending on the size of the store (mine wasn't a super Target or a Greatland) that unpacks everything from the truck and sorts it onto pallets. Then the team goes to the floor and starts to stock. The only bad thing for me was that there were times we wouldn't go into work until 5am and we'd be there until 11am when the store is open and guests were walking around. I would still suggest it though.

Another suggestion for you is to be a vendor for Frito Lay. They drive around and stock shelves with the company product and most seem to operate on their own. You might need a CDL license though.

For me, doing any sort of job helped me feel better, or at least escape a while to a place where no one knows about your MI.

I miss working. I've been unemployed for about a month now, even though I'm in college too. It's not the same, school and work.

You should try to find something at least mildly enjoyable to you, and maybe it will help you feel better.