CrazyBoards.org

Do your meds help your memory?

I'm just curious for those taking medication for ADHD, what symptoms do you find it helps, and what (if any) is it least helpful for?

I have the inattentive form, and some form of depression/bipolar/cyclothymia thing (the debate goes on with the bipolar bit but depression and ADHD have been confirmed many times); I have all the classic symptoms (except hyperactivity), but most of my issues are the "depressive" ADHD symptoms like energy, motivation, etc.

Anyway, adderall really helps in general... almost hard to say specifically how, but it does give me a boost in energy, motivation and mood in general. Not enough to lift my depression, but enough to get me off my butt at least. I guess I can stick to something a little more when I put my mind to it--getting at least a little housework and schoolwork done when I take it says a lot!

But what still drives me insane is my memory and/or that scattered feeling... I'll go to do something and completely forget what it was within seconds, or forget that I forget and get distracted and do something else. I know that happens to everyone (the "what did I come in this room for?" thing), but this is literally constant. It's so frustrating, I feel like I spend most of my day standing there trying to remember what I wanted to do literally a  few SECONDS before, or overwhelmed by the million things I forgot to finish doing. It's exasperating and depressing.

Sometimes it makes me think my medication isn't quite right, but yet nothing else has worked and for the symptoms it does treat I feel like I'd be lost without it. Anybody have any experiences like this?

I also suffer from inattentive ADD. Ritalin helps me a little with memory (just a little), but a LOT with attention. This was made clear to me recently when I forgot to take it and was driving my car. I was constantly missing where I had to turn, one time I missed it twice. After a while, it was scary.

I have just started a trial of Intuniv along with Vyvanse to try and tackle some of my memory issues, along with some anxiety and tic issues I have. It's early days but it actually does seem to make my working memory better. I feel much less scattered today, for sure.

I have just started a trial of Intuniv along with Vyvanse to try and tackle some of my memory issues, along with some anxiety and tic issues I have. It's early days but it actually does seem to make my working memory better. I feel much less scattered today, for sure.

^this^ and not just necessarily a stim with Intuniv, but even a stim with a slow or extended released stimulant, or a stim with a non-abrasive stimulant. Some doctors may be reluctant to put you on 2 stimulants, but being on 2 medications in similar classes for ADHD is not unheard of and could be a good option.