CrazyBoards.org

How much do you worry about Global Warming?

Does it scare you that developing nations are now polluting more and more?  And it seems like people are passing over the opportunity to change over to wind and solar power?

Does it bother you, the lack of action that's been taken?  

Or do you even believe in global warming?  If not, explain.

It bothers me, but I can't do anything about it. I'm only one person, and the politics are against doing anything about it. I don't worry about it too much because the worst effects will be after I'm gone and I have no children. I realize that that makes me look selfish, but you have to choose your battles in life. But, yeah, global warming is real. I have seen the results of it.

Edited by jt07

It used to scare me, but now I think I've just grown numb to it. I think the world will be generally and properly fucked by the end of the century, for this and a number of other reasons. Not sure there's really any stopping it at this point, so whatever. Make the most of it before it all collapses around us.

It bothers me a an awful lot. It's actually one of the reasons that SO and I have agreed that children would be a bad idea. We'd just be introducing someone who would risk dying in some man-made weather induced catastrophe not of their making. I really cannot understand the viewpoint of dinosaurs who deny climate change. I don't understand why it's okay to disregard science and be so murderous for selfish ends. It's where me and capitalism diverge so strongly that as a result I cannot support a capitalist system and instead work against it.

I do a lot to try to help... but I am one person and this country is a shame and an embarrassment despite my efforts. I am thankful for what I have, and I am cognizant that it won't be here for ever. I regularly have dreams of living in the apocalypse and of needing to explain to the younger ones about what life before the internet was like, and what a card catalogue is, and the way that other such pre-internet systems worked for an organized society.

Some of my friends are environmental activists as there is some crossover between my own advocacy. I try to follow the lead of my first nations friends as stewardship of the land is culturally relevant. I am sustained on stories of hope, such as the current recovery effort in the Philippines. It's one of the reasons that I want the career that I want.

All of which is to say that it greatly impacts my life. It affects how I live, who I socialize with, my politics, my personal interests, and my worldview. 

This is interesting...

I felt like there was a whole lot of discussion about it for a while, when Al Gore had that movie out, etc (although I think people just ended up mocking Al Gore).  And then... Nothing.  I feel like almost no one talks about it.  Occasionally there will be some talk about it when there is a natural disaster such as Katrina... but then it goes away pretty quickly.

I think about it a lot... I feel a sort of spiritual connection to Nature that is very important to me... and I feel like it is sacrilegious to destroy the environment.

I wonder if this younger generation will even care about nature?  They seem to just have their heads up their asses all the time with smart phones and whatever the technology is of the day.  

Rosie, I think you're right about capitalism... 

I am only in my 20's so I really worry what my life will be like 50 years from now.  And yeah, in terms of having children... you are totally right.  I don't want to subject them to that.

I still hear discussion about it very frequently in pretty much all of my classes. A lot of college students (here, at least) are really concerned and devoted to the cause. I sympathize, but also just feel a sense of "the war's already lost," you know? We can't even change our own country, much less any others. Maybe when the major world cities start really being affected by sea level rise, because you can only build seawalls so high, but even then...I feel it's too late.

I really relate to what WR wrote.  This is something that I think about often, and I have a deep sense of sadness and unease about peoples' disconnectedness from nature and the environmental costs of our current way of life.  Personally, I am almost certain that I do not want to have children, and a part of that certaintly stems from a desire not to leave a legacy of carbon and greenhouse gases.  There is often a gap between one's feelings and doings, and I sometimes think that being childfree is one way to help close that gap in my life.

This is one of the reasons I also have chosen to (probably) not have children. Among many other reasons. 

Thinking about global warming makes me pretty depressed. I do what I can. I don't own a car, and growing up my family never owned a car either. I rarely eat meat, especially beef. I take other smaller steps like, I hang my clothes out on the line instead of using a dryer (when possible), I don't use paper towels, I use tea towels instead, I try not to waste water, I recycle, I try to buy locally grown food (again, when possible). I do my best. I think a lot of my steps also stem from being poor. I'm too poor to afford a car or to eat meat regularly. 

But thinking about this just makes me super depressed. No one seems to really care. And that makes me really sad. 

Global warming doesn't bother me too much, the climate has changed before and a part of me believes its just the way the world is, we're not making it any better obviously but I don't think we're solely to blame. The planet would change it's climate without us, we're just speeding up the process...

What does worry me is the fact that on day the universe is going to go BANG and collide with another universe, and I can't help but believe in reincarnation so a part of me is afraid of being alive during the universe boom.

Another thing I always worry about before global warming. Over populated planet. There's too many of us for the world to cope with and it's getting worse. The more cures for diseases we find, the longer we live, the more kids are born. Couple that with global warming and I just want to sit and hyperventilate.

Edited by Paperskyscraper

It bothers me a lot. A lot. I feel helpless and angry about it.

I admit we aren't perfect, but we try to do what we can to cut back on our footprint, and to reuse and recycle instead of buying new things. We have the one car, which is a Prius. We don't have a dryer, have a front loading washing machine, and wash all of our clothes in cold water except towels. We keep the thermostat below the "suggested" level in the winter; but in the summer we have a swamp cooler, which is new to us, and we're not sure what we're doing.

The only clothes of mine that aren't purchase used are things like a dress for my sister's wedding (she has since gotten divorced, I'm saving the dress for other weddings). And underwear. Wait, I take that back, we just got new winter coats and boots, because we moved from CA to UT, but we need them, and are using them already. We try not to eat too much beef, although we do eat it (we're having steaks tonight).

If there is an offer of a more green energy that costs a little more, we always use it; in California you could sometimes choose your energy source, so ours was wind.

We do lots of other little things like that. It isn't much, but whenever we use a footprint calculator, we have reduced it to about 50% of the average couple.

Of course, now, we both are at home all day. DH had to use public transport for his last 18 mo of work, but even that uses more energy than never leaving  the house.

But the point is, if everyone cuts down their footprint a bit, it does add up. The two of us only use the carbon that one average person uses. If every couple did that, it would make an enormous difference.

I do want to get my husband to New Orleans, I don't think it is going to be around that long. Both of us have been to FL, so when that goes away, at least we have seen it.

I'm a little freaked at how much the climate has already changed in the last decade

I don't worry about global warming, I worry about global cooling. There's lots of data to show that ice ages happen more quickly and frequently than most people would care to know. I'll use a movie as an example: The Day After Tomorrow. The warming that we see right now melts the icy regions of our planet, dumping fresh water into the oceans. When the water hits a critical desalinization point, the gulf stream could collapse and plunge the northern latitudes into an arctic wasteland.

The universe needs balance, and Earth is due for a rebalancing soon. The overpopulation problem will very likely taken be care of, if not by the Powers that Be, then by mother nature.and/or cometary bombardment.

I don't really worry about it at all. Perhaps I should, but I don't really put much value on life, so I don't really value the planet on which it occurs. It is a perpective warped by my experience of life with MI. I know that. But I can't bring myself to care.

Hot or cold, the problem is climate change, and the amount of moisture in the air. It makes winters crazy, and summers unbearable, and has an affect on all sorts of weather patterns. It now rains in the summer in San Jose. Frequently. Most of California used to be kind of a monsoon climate, it rains in the winter, and then it doesn't rain in the summer. At all. 

I lived in SF during the big drought in the 80s and 90s. Just when things were about to get really scary (we already had a 50 gallon per day per person limit on water consumption, including the toilet and shower), it continued to rain past February, and through March. It was called the "March Miracle." That was because it *never* used to rain in March. Now it happens year round.

I really relate to what WR wrote.  This is something that I think about often, and I have a deep sense of sadness and unease about peoples' disconnectedness from nature and the environmental costs of our current way of life.  Personally, I am almost certain that I do not want to have children, and a part of that certaintly stems from a desire not to leave a legacy of carbon and greenhouse gases.  There is often a gap between one's feelings and doings, and I sometimes think that being childfree is one way to help close that gap in my life.

I want to have children in this world. Why, do you ask? The best answer that I have heard, to which I couldn't put any more clear, is that "there are a lot of bad guys out there, and I hope to raise my child to be aware and be one of the good guys".

Change is an evolution, a process of growth. You can not complete such significant change in something like GW in one generation. If we want to change the future of deterioration of this planet, we must teach our children to do the things the past generations have not, so the change can continue when we pass.

I don't worry too actively, as my mind is pretty settled on it, subject to significant new and sound information

Global warming is real, it is going to cause major problems in many if not all parts of the world  and the leaders and influencers of humanity, together with the population in genera have missed any opportunity to deal with it the relatively easy way.

Count in world population levels, and the depletion of resources

(as from over-fishing, to shortages of helium, and fresh water.)

And things are going to get harder for billions of humans for the next century and on, subject to some major unexpected positive development.  (We *may* get the hang of cheap, clean fusion power, but I wouldn't count on it.)

My "footprint" is, with some conscious effort, considerably smaller than that of the average Brit, but even the rest of the UK catching up with me will not balance out the rate at which China is building coal-fired power stations.

I find no adequate room to be optimistic.

One tiny example, below.

This on the case of a man who applied to New Zealand  for asylum on the grounds of climate change:

"The immigration department had refused Mr Teitiota asylum earlier this year on the grounds that he did not face persecution or threats to his life if he returned to Kiribati.

"The sad reality is that the environmental degradation caused by both slow and sudden-onset natural disasters is one which is faced by the Kiribati population generally," the Immigration and Protection Tribunal wrote in June.

It added that the Kiribati government was taking steps to tackle the risks posed by climate change.

Last year, the Kiribati government approved a plan to buy land from Fiji in case rising sea levels forced it to relocate its citizens."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24561231

Chris