CrazyBoards.org

How old we're you when you developed OCD?

Hi all. I'm curious as to what age you developed OCD. And did you get it under control pretty good?

I remember being like maybe seven?!, and telling my mom I couldn't get bad words out of my head. They were like intrusive thoughts. Not that i knew that at the time.

I was diagnosed OCD when I was I think 13 when I was also diagnosed with anorexia. I was put on meds.

Now I have it pretty much under control and it doesn't rule my life anymore.

i can't actually remember a time without OCD. from as early as i can remember, i was very afraid of surprises and changes, and i used compulsive behavior to soothe my fears. i can remember ruminating on obsessive thoughts at about the same age, then starting to use the compulsive stuff to deal with those.

i still don't have OCD under control at all. but i have come to terms with the fact that it controls me and probably always will. which is a little bit better than trying to fight it, but definitely not as good as being rid of it altogether...

if i could get rid of OCD i absolutely would. it's not useful at all, the way non-sufferers seem to think it is. some of the traits that might have partially led to me having OCD (being detail-oriented, organized, perfectionistic...etc.) might be useful, but they aren't OCD and i could get rid of OCD without getting rid of those personality traits.

sorry, guess i went on a tangent there. your question got me thinking.

Edited by starship_subaru

It started when I was in middle school. I would wash my hands excessively and my hands became so chapped that I had huge gashes that bled constantly and my hands were always bright red. I would even have to get up in the middle of class to feed my compulsion to wash. 

Ugh, I still struggle with OCD to this day and it can be a nightmare. Sometimes I get stuck repeating words out loud or in my head over and over and over until I go crazy, or I get horrible intrusive thoughts and they make me feel like an evil person... I also check things excessively, such as pulling the door shut a certain number or times and well... I feel super crazy because of my OCD symptoms.

When I was 4 years old I would wash my hands until they bled. When I was 9 I had my first major breakdown. After I gave birth to my daughter things went out of control. Now, at 35, things are somewhat in control through medication (Abilify) but my OCD is still there.

I definitely developed symptoms in junior high, perhaps earlier, but I definitely have clear memories from 6th-7th grade. I was such a private person that I didn't tell anyone and was able to keep it under wraps most of the time. In fact, it wasn't until I was in my late 20s that someone suggested "OCD tendencies" would be an appropriate way to conceptualize what some of my experiences have been.

I've had OCD for as long as I can remember. I remember being three years old and circling around and around a toy chair that I had and making sure I went in each direction the same number of times. I wasn't diagnosed until 24, though. I always thought that was just how my brain worked, and I developed my own names for obsessions and compulsions ("tunnel vision", and "decision loops", primarily). I always just considered myself to be some generic form of crazy. Starting to do better with meds and CBT since the dx. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember not having OCD symptoms but up until I was 22 or so thought it was just me being crazy/  Stumbled upon a description of OCD symptoms while I was researching for a pyschology paper on something completely different.  Was a checklist of like 50 things and like everyone described me perfectly.  Meds and CBT haven't done a thing for me the only thing that seems to help at all is just doing the exposures and sticking to my ERP regime.  

Edited by BadgerTime

• 2 weeks later...