CrazyBoards.org

What is the name of that thing where you see things out of the corner of your eye?

Not the most scientific, but I got this from wikipedia: 

A mild form of hallucination is known as a disturbance, and can occur in any of the senses above. These may be things like seeing movement in peripheral vision, or hearing faint noises and/or voices

"disturbance", love that name.  Thanks!  My google-fu failed me.  

This has really gotten much much worse lately.  I can hardly go a couple of hours without seeing something.  Although it's usually one of my dogs or cats so not really scary.  The people and crawling bugs on the wall are scary tho.  They disappear as soon as I look at them.  ...  sounds like an episode of Doctor Who.

sorry I'm a little wired, too much coffee, not enough sleep, too much stress.  

My pdoc calls them visual disturbances as well. 

I notice my visual disturbances become more severe when I am under a lot of stress or when I am becoming/am psychotic. 

I also experience visual disturbances on a daily basis, but not as severe as when I'm in a psychotic episode. I see mice, sometimes full on but, mostly out of the corner of my eye. I also see shadow people, bugs and sparkles of light in my peripheral vision. 

It's annoying, and only the maximum dose of Abilify has ever gotten rid of them completely. I just live with them now. 

Super major stress right now and yesterday I had like 3 hours sleep so it was pretty bad.  I slept last night kinda.  It was that weird hypomanic sleep where life just goes on in your head like you're awake.  Pretty sure a lot of that was coffee too.  Thanks.  Pdoc today so maybe I'll mention it.  It is super annoying.  "is that a bug!! omg it's huge!! what, wait, it's nothing."  :/   I live in the country so I always embrace the possibility that the bugs have won finally.  :)

This is weird, but does anyone close their eyes and see activity going on in the room? Like at bedtime, I'll close my eyes, but I still see the furniture and closet (roughly, shapes may be distorted), and I see things moving. Usually cats (I don't have cats), but if I see a person, my eyes fly open, so It's like: "There's a person!" Eyes opened to prevent any further knowledge. They aren't approaching me, just walking across the room.

I don't think it is psychosis, but sometimes I think my brain has learned to turn things off and on ever since I have had psychoses.

This is weird, but does anyone close their eyes and see activity going on in the room? Like at bedtime, I'll close my eyes, but I still see the furniture and closet (roughly, shapes may be distorted), and I see things moving.

Yes, I usually see heads of people and objects that I can't quite make out.

What I see out of the corner of my eyes I consider hallucinations.  I usually see "bugs/bees" flying or "mice" running across the floor.  At least that is what they look like to me.

Other people covered it, disturbance sounds right. I read somewhere that its the mind filling in blind spots so I suppose its fairly normal.

I do have to say though I think your stress and sleep probably are affecting the picture. Even if disturbances are normal, I notice in myself that I dont see or at least dont feel bothered unless I'm especially stressed or on the precipice of an episode. I notice as well on saphris I haven't seen bugs or shadows maybe because the meds have me more stablr.

Like you, I see bugs, flashes of light, colorful squiggles, movement, shadows, or I mistake light or objects for glimpses of people. When I was a kid a saw technicolor cats darting out the corner of my eyes :) the big unifying factor in it all was no sleep and an unwell mental state. I hope whatever your stress is subsides and this doesnt bother you anymore.

I was diagnosed with visual migraines at first too, but then it responded to anti-psychotic medication, so we determined that it was probably hallucinations. That's my pdoc's current theory anyway. 

I believe you would talk to a neurologist about migraines, but you would probably need your GP to refer you. 

Crtclms will probably be more help than me in this area. :lol: 

Visual migraines are more commonly attributed to shimmering zigzags & jagged edges, rather than actual objects or beings. Visual migraines also tend to last about 20-30 minutes, rather than the few seconds to minutes for other visual disturbances.

However when I have a combination of sleep deprivation & stress, I definitely am more susceptible to migraines & other neurological symptoms, not just the crazees ^_^  If you are interested in looking more into the neurological aspect, a neurologist would be your best bet. However depending on how your specific healthcare insurance operates you might have to go through your GP to see a neuro.

This is weird, but does anyone close their eyes and see activity going on in the room?

I do see shapes, neon out-lines & shadows move when my eyelids are shut. I am not quite sure what to attribute it to? I always figured it was my night blindness :huh:

I saw my pdoc and asked her and she said it could be visual migraines.  I guess I should talk to my GP about that?  I dunno.  Who the hell do you talk to about visual migraines?

I also think it would be a neurologist.  Depending on insurance you may or may not need a referral.  But a gdoc may know of one to recommend.

Edited by melissaw72

Visual migraines are more commonly attributed to shimmering zigzags & jagged edges, rather than actual objects or beings. Visual migraines also tend to last about 20-30 minutes, rather than the few seconds to minutes for other visual disturbances.

However when I have a combination of sleep deprivation & stress, I definitely am more susceptible to migraines & other neurological symptoms, not just the crazees ^_^  If you are interested in looking more into the neurological aspect, a neurologist would be your best bet. However depending on how your specific healthcare insurance operates you might have to go through your GP to see a neuro.

This is weird, but does anyone close their eyes and see activity going on in the room?

I do see shapes, neon out-lines & shadows move when my eyelids are shut. I am not quite sure what to attribute it to? I always figured it was my night blindness :huh:

Interesting. I have kerataconus, which means muscles are slowly tightening my eye into a cone shape, and thinning out my cornea. It makes it really difficult to drive at night, because lights throw halos, the halos overlap, and it becomes really hard to distinguish things, like what lane a car is in.

Chimako, did your GP say you had Visual Migraine, or Ocular Migraine? I think that some people refer to them as "visual," but the correct term is Ocular. I don't have Ocular migraine, but my friends who have it say they feel really sick for several hours after they start seeing auras, it's just not a headache very often.

You would want to see a neurologist for that. In the meantime, try to write down what it looks like whenever you see things out of the corner of your eye, and that will be a huge help to the neurologist. I agree with the girl about what constitutes a classic aura, but since I don't have ocular migraine, I can't really say that the auras would be exactly the same.

Here is what a scintillating scotoma would look like. This is how fortification auras look to me, but there is some variation. Another common one is a black spot appearing in your field of vision or maybe even "going blind" in one eye, like a black eye patch suddenly is slapped over your eye.

That does not mean those are the only types of aura, there are about a kajillion of them, so definitely see a neurologist. These are just the "classic" ones.

crtclms, it was my pdoc since I was concerned because I was seeing animals, people and bugs, also things like books or baskets just moving randomly.  She's the one who mentioned visual migraines.  I actually have an appt with my ophthalmologist who did my eye correction surgery in a few weeks.  I'll ask him just in case it's the diabeetus.  Then I'll move to my GP.  Thanks!

When I was really depressed and first on abilify, I woudl think I was seeing bugs out of the corner of my eye.  then, I woudl look straight at them and they would disappear.  It was pretty freaky.

I never told my pdoc about it because I was too scared, then it stopped happeing, I don't know, maybe the meds really did start to work.  I'm just glad it stopped.  I would hate for it to happen all the time.