CrazyBoards.org

How Do You Wake Up?

I woke up this morning from a nap, and I was (and still am) incredibly at peace, calm as can be, felt rested.  I wish this happened every day.  Usually I need a xanax when I wake up because I practically jump out of bed every time I wake up, extremely anxious.

Am wondering if this is how people usually wake up.  Is this usual?

How do you wake up (what do you feel like when you wake up)?

For me, it really is random whether I wake up anxious or at peace. Thankfully, most of the time I do not wake up anxious, but it does happen. Sleep resets my brain, and I'm usually at my best after a night's sleep. I get more depressed as the day wears on.

I'm like you, I always feel like I'm jarred awake and snap right up with my heart pounding and head spinning, and I have to lay there and breathe for a few minutes to calm down. This is especially true if I was having a nightmare that woke me up (which happens frequently) or if I wake up knowing I have things to do, because when I wake up my first instinct is always "oh shit, I'm late!" regardless of the actual time or if I even have anything to be late for that day. 

I'm like you, I always feel like I'm jarred awake and snap right up with my heart pounding and head spinning, and I have to lay there and breathe for a few minutes to calm down. This is especially true if I was having a nightmare that woke me up (which happens frequently) or if I wake up knowing I have things to do, because when I wake up my first instinct is always "oh shit, I'm late!" regardless of the actual time or if I even have anything to be late for that day. 

I can totally relate ... especially with the nightmares waking me up also.

Except with me I jump out of bed and am not able to lay there to gather my thoughts and calm down.  Without the xanax I don't/can't calm down.

For me, it really is random whether I wake up anxious or at peace. Thankfully, most of the time I do not wake up anxious, but it does happen. Sleep resets my brain, and I'm usually at my best after a night's sleep. I get more depressed as the day wears on.

Unfortunately for whatever reason I can't sleep a full night.  I sleep in intervals of between 1 and sometimes 5 hours (if I am lucky) at a time, all day long.  If I have to stay up all day like if I have a day of appts or something, it totally wipes me out.  But even then I still can't sleep for long intervals at a time.

I can totally relate ... especially with the nightmares waking me up also.

Except with me I jump out of bed and am not able to lay there to gather my thoughts and calm down.  Without the xanax I don't/can't calm down.

Thankfully, I'm usually able to get it under control after a little while, to the point where I can at least get up and go to the kitchen. And once I get a few cups of coffee in me, there's this odd transition that happens from overwhelming anxiety to a nervous buzzy energy that, while uncomfortable, at least sustains me throughout the day. Not sure what that's about. 

I'm like you, Melissa, in my sleeping patterns - I've given up on trying to get a full night's rest, it is VERY rare for me to sleep more than 5 hours, normally it's closer to 3 or 4, which I generally do twice a day; in the afternoon and very late at night, usually.

As for waking, I'm like jt: it's completely random, although sometimes I'll have a stretch of the same thing. Normally, I wake up in a relatively good mood, sometimes in a jump-to-it way, sometimes in a lazy, hazy way.

Other times, I'll have stretches where my sleep (if one can call it that) is incredibly disjointed, I wake frequently, always wake up anxious and usually get up because I'm fed up. The anxiety sticks with me constantly. Sometimes a xanax can bring it down, but the facility where I see my pdoc and tdoc have instituted a single benzo only rule and they decided Klonopin was best for me. I have a very small hoard of xanax from before that rule went into effect, but I save them for extreme panic attacks or at the tail end of one of those sleepless stretches; it definitely helps me sleep much more restfully.

I hate that they instituted this rule across the board as they have. Klonopin does nothing, absolutely nothing, when I'm already high strung. And when I had a xanax scrip, I used it so rarely that the refills would expire before I used up the first bottle, so it's not like I had an addiction or abuse problem and I certainly wasn't selling them.

I do not wake up like most people. Sometimes I wake up with my thumb or my fingers in my mouth, cuddling my blanket. That's when a little one came out during the night.

Sometimes I wake up terrified.

Sometimes I wake up calmly or slowly.

Usually I wake up fairly quickly. I don't much like sleeping, it seems.

I used to wake up in the morning anxious as shit. Wake up-smoke-pee-lay down on the floor due to crazy panic attack. EVERY DAMN DAY. Yeah, the anxiety waking up is really bad. I'm glad I don't have that now.

I sleep in spurts kinda, I guess? A couple of times a week I MAY get a full 8 hours, but not generally and this is because I go to bed too late, have to wake up early. So I get up when the alarm goes off. Generally I don't even hit the snooze button. It's hazy, but no mood/anxiety thing anymore, thankfully.

Nap is different. I have some crazy sleeping shit during the day, so I lay there sometimes the entire time kinda listening to whatever the fuck is on TV and I WANT to wake up but I don't. I try for a long time to get out of that and for a long time, it's seriously like I just CAN NOT MOVE. I can't force my eyes open (thankfully, I think I might have the hallucinations with that if they were open, ugh) and then after a long time of trying to will my body to move even though suddenly I weigh a few tons, my eyes open easily.

the nap waking up is different. Not like the morning at all. I wake up and see static everywhere for a couple of minutes or so and don't know I'm really awake for a while. It's weird. 

Ever since I started taking naps in middle school, I always wake up in a foul/anxious mood. Slightly anxious or pretty sad but it goes away fast enough, thankfully.

I try setting an alarm since that's what brings me out of it in the morning, but I always "wake up" before it no matter what time I set it for, Meh.

The nightmares, I still have really horrible ones at night but they don't bother me anymore. They'll wake me up, yeah. Briefest moment of "What the fuck?" and then "Oh yeah, this is my life, heh" go back to sleep calmly. FINALLY. 15 fucking years of that shit. Happy about that too.

Thanks/no thanks to Abilify I sleep like a rock for 13 hours and usually wake up confused from some fucked up dream. But I'm quite rested. I often wake up feeling guilty cause I know how much I've slept. 

And in contrast to this, I was sleeping 11-12 hours because of Remeron, but since I added Abilify, I only need 6-8 hours and I don't dream abnormally.

Edited by jt07

My naps and sleep are kind of the same thing.  Night could be day and day could be night, in terms of my sleeping schedule.  Although I do like being awake late at night/early morning so I try and get most of my sleep at other times of the day.

I have narcolepsy but the provigil has helped a lot.  My sleeping was a lot worse before going on that med ... it was 1/2 hour here, an hour there, randomly nodding off, etc, 24/7, and then I'd wake up hazy, sometimes anxious.  But since then, I've been able to sleep in "longer" intervals. 

But I still wake up anxious the majority of the time, with fucked up dreams almost every time also.  That hasn't changed.

I think i'm kinda weird in that I actually almost always wake up in a damn good mood. except when i'm depressed...then I wake up depressed, go thru the day depressed, go to sleep depressed, etc.

but in general, I wake up pretty happy and then my anxiety builds throughout the day. there have been a few rare occasions where I woke up angry-and-seeing-red for no apparent reason, but that doesn't happen very often.

I actually really like that kind-of-half-awake feeling of first getting up. feels calmer than how I usually am and my mind is sometimes a little quieter at that time too.

I'm a terrible sleeper (I blame the fibro). I go to sleep okay most of the time but I don't stay that way and when I do sleep it's frequently full of crazy Stephen King type dreams. 

I am also not good at waking up. I don't ever wake up and feel peaceful. I either want to stay in bed, pull the covers up and just stay there all day, or I wake up in a panic with lots of anxiety and nothing calms me down or I wake up and worry about everything that needs to be done and feel totally overwhelmed. 

feel totally overwhelmed.

This describes things well for me.  Even if I have nothing to do I still wake up overwhelmed at times and need a xanax.

This was why I was having them every day for about a year or year and a half. New baby. That never really occurred to me that this is why but it was because I worried about being a good parent every time I woke up. That I wouldn't get to her room before she thought someone abandoned her, etc. The entire day.

Yeah, that'll do it. Even if there isn't anything to do. That MAY happen when I am depressed. The overwhelmed thing. But no full blown panic attack. That makes perfect sense what you guys said. 

Damn, sorry. Sleep should feel fucking refreshing for people with MI. THAT I am a little upset about. I want a break sometimes, is that too much to ask? Blah.