CrazyBoards.org

I've been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder but my Doctor won't give me more than 2mgs of Xanax which does nothing! How can I address this?

9 Years ago I was in an accident that broke my tailbone, after taking Doctors months to diagnose a shattered tailbone, I became addicted to pain killers for 2 years. At year 7, I took suboxone for a full year to get off the pain meds. I've been clean since.... 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I've experienced anxiety and panic attacks around the clock for more than 15 years. It's so bad I have them in my sleep.  However, because I was given suboxone years ago my doctor WILL NOT give me more than 2 mgs of Xanax a day. 

When I have just the panic attacks 2 mgs of Xanax won't even touch anything. Then I'm left with nothing to take for the anxiety the rest of the all day. 2 mgs doesn't even do anything for the overall anxiety that happens during the day, let alone the panic attacks. So i'm constantly running out. I'm really suffering and my doctor refuses to listen. He refuses to hear me out that this isn't about getting high, and that I struggle to get out of bed some days because I'm worried about panic attacks and I also know my anxiety is WAY out of proportion with situations but that doesn't mean I can live like this!!!!!!!. I don't sleep, I have constant migraines from that. It's taking over my life and the life of my family. How do I address this? How can I get the help that I need? 

RX list: Xanax 1mg x2 a day, Citalopram 40 mgs, Propanolol, Ambien 5mg (!!!!!) wont even give me a 10mg, Imitrex shots, Zofran 4mg, 

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your suffering. 2mgs is usually considered to be a pretty good amount. You are very lucky to even have that. 

Your doctor might be worried that you could get addicted to the xanax or your doctor might think you are selling or abusing it. I am NOT saying that you do those things. I am just saying what doctors are posibly thinking. 

Meds do wonders for us. Meds help us out so much, but we can't rely only on meds. Do you try any coping strategies like mental grounding? Or deep breathing? Do you try to distract yourself from your anxiety? I know it is really hard to distract, but trying is what matters. 

Maybe you could talk to your doctor about an antipsychotic. Most of them are very relaxing and not addictive. My seroquel I take at night, and the next day, it still helps to keep me calmer than without it. 

Do you have a therapist? Also, welcome to CB! :)

Have you already tried any other kinds of anti-depressant medications? Most of them are approved in the long-term treatment of panic disorders and other anxiety disorders. Generally, Benzos such as Xanax are not used for long-term treatment and control of symptoms.

I am taking Paxil right now to help with my severe anxiety disorder. I have only been on it for about 2 weeks now but I notice a reduction in overall anxiety symptoms. I have heard that Paxil is one of the best in treating panic disorder and GAD (which I have)

Good luck to you!

Maybe you have developed a tolerance to the Xanax in which case it might be best to change to a different benzo. I have found that pdocs are more willing to prescribe benzos with longer half-lives, but of course, they don't carry the punch that you need when having a panic attack. 

Another option would be to add a second antidepressant. I take Remeron, and it helps a lot with anxiety. Cynical Reality's idea of adding a low dose of an antipsychotic might work also.

How long have you been on the Xanax? Are you taking both mg at once, or are you taking one AM and one PM? Xanax has a shorter half-life than clonezapam, so you usually need to split it. If you are taking it once a day, it is not going to last for enough hours.

Have you taken cognitive behavioral therapy for your panic attacks?

Sometimes, you just have to tough out panic attacks. It sucks, but it is a skill you need to learn. Personally, I prefer a steady state of Xanax instead of using 2mg prn; I tend to have fewer panic attacks that way.

They don't prescribe things like xanax readily here and I'm only allowed 0.5mg tablets. I tried all the SSRI's and none of them helped a whole lot with my GAD (with the exception of citalopram but it still took CBT to really help me out). Now I'm on an older style tricyclic and doing much better on it anxiety wise.

Have you tried Gapapentin (Neurontin)?  I take 900 mg/day, plus a beta blocker and klonopin to control my GAD.  Klonopin is longer acting than xanax and might work better for you in controlling your day to day anxiety.

I also second CynicalReality's suggestion to look in to developing some coping skills.  Deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, positive self-talk, etc.  can all be really helpful in dealing with anxiety.

Tolerance very possibly could have kicked in, but also maybe you need something to take care of the anxiety youre going through all day. The xanax has such a short half life it probably isnt helping all of your anxiety. Adding something with a longer half life might ease the anxiety. There is klonopin but if your doc is concerned about addiction or tolerance ssri's help anxiety, like prozac or buspar. Good luck