CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety and Irritability

Anyone ever find that your anxiety sometimes masquerades as irritability? This thing happens to me periodically (like now!) where it starts as anxiety and then for whatever reason I just get really intense and argumentative, and easily pissed off by things people say or write. It usually has some identifiable anxiety that goes with it. i can generally control myself and keep from engaging negatively with people during these times, but it feels really intense and awful, like my mood is going to break through the roof. Anxiety? Not anxiety? Suggestions for feeling less crazy?

Yes, I can totally relate.  The anxiety turns into edginess and anything could set me off.  I can usually control it, but if I am alone and I get frustrated with something I might yell or something (no one is around though except my neighbors).  I've been having this problem lately, of becoming very angry, originating from anxiety, and told my pdoc.  Last time this happened he tweaked my meds, and also did this time again and it has really helped.

The only suggestion I have for feeling not as crazy is to take a benzo (xanax for me usually, although I'm also on klonopin).  Could you ask pdoc to increase your klonopin dose?  And also maybe you could take klonopin on a regular schedule (as opposed to PRN); this would keep a steady level of it in your system.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this :-). I tend to way under dose myself on the klonopin, to the extent that I'll take .25mg at night and maybe half of that if I have unmanageable daytime anxiety, maybe more if it happens in the morning. I tend to be super sensitive to the sedating effects of meds (and also I come from people with a lot of addiction problems, so I've always been super cautious with the benzos. But yes, your suggestions are logical. I'm also thinking that maybe going off zoloft was a problem.

That is what happened to me with the prozac ... the dose was lowered, then I went off abilify (stupid, I know, but I thought it was causing all the anger I was having), and when pdoc increased the prozac back and I re-started the abilify it lessened it.  I still get irritable and edgy, but not half as much as before.

Heavens yes. When I am super anxious I get incredibly irritable. Like crawl up the walls. I can keep it contained, but when I'm short with my husband for no apparent reason, then I know my stress/anxiety is high. Only medication can help me out with this. I've tried yoga, meditation, exercise, guided meditations and therapy.

I can relate to this. YES I am a bitch on wheels while I am in a highly anxious state. I found out recently that taking a vacation from my nightly Klonopin was NOT the smartest thing to do...I didn't ask dr. first and decided since I was sleeping better that i could self-taper...The experiment failed. I have only been on it a month and have a sister who is a nurse who implied I would become a raging benzo addict for taking it longer than a month.

Talk therapy with the proper meds is helping me tremendously with my irritability so there is hope!

You are not alone.

Yeah. I used to not do that but now I do. Too much going on at once when I'm anxious and I flip out. And that could mean the volume on the TV is one notch higher than usual and I flip out a little on the inside so, psh. It isn't hard to piss me off when I'm anxious. At all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes, I totally relate.

DBT has been helping me to not act upon irritability urges, like yelling and spanking my kids.

Prozac used to really help this, but unfortunately it stopped working for my depression which is what it was really prescribed for. So I hopped on the med go round once more, finally found Lamictal, and while it worked to bring me out of deep, dark, suicidal depression, it still left me anxious and irritable. I ended up addicted to Klonopin, and after my horrible withdrawal on that, I started drinking more.

So DBT is my only weapon against irritability and anxiousness, among many other things. I am working very hard right now with my DBT and irritability is a column listed on my diary card which me and tdoc work on weekly.

I'm the same. When I'm very anxious I have no patience for anything. People try to talk to me and my response is generally "I do not have time for your bullshit! I am dealing with some real shit right now." At least internally. Externally I'm just grumpy and isolate myself. Lately I've been finding myself being harsher towards people who irritate me. I should get a better handle on that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes I can definitely relate. I also end up quite nauseas and it becomes 'all consuming'

I have found DBT to be really quite useful for the ruminating/catastrophising thought trains that tend to go with my anxiety if it is over something I can pinpoint. But the chronic anxiety that I can't justify/work out what I'm anxious over/or for- I haven't worked a way through that yet.

(((Hugs))) to all xx

Anxiety is much more likely to make me angry, not necessarily irritable. If I'm anxious I'm much more likely to scream at someone for 30 mins then be done.

Whereas when I'm hypomanic, Everything is too loud, too long, too stupid, just too too.  Therefore I'm irritable because everything bothers me.  If I get too irritable I go completely off the rails and there's no fucking way to know where I'll end up. Until I was medicated it really didn't take much.

• 2 weeks later...