CrazyBoards.org

Slow motion and mixing up words?

I've noticed lately with increased incidence that I will mix up words or parts of words when I'm talking. Like instead of saying hat I'll say symbol and it will keep happening no matter how hard I think about the correct word. Does this happen to anyone else?

I also find myself repeating the same word over and over and over again sometimes.

Also, and this has happened only a few times in the past year, but does anyone else ever catch themselves moving in slow motion? I don't really know how to explain it but I've caught myself falling over on a chair in slow motion, getting up in slow motion, it's like I'm stuck in slow motion and everyone else is moving quickly.

Does this happen to anyone else and is it related to my illness?

I have the slow motion thing happen frequently when I'm feeling bad. I describe it as my brain feels like fingerpaint...odd, I know, but it's the only way I can think to put it. My thoughts are just oozing around (I usually realize I'm dealing with some psychosis stuff at this point), they're out of whack/irrational, and everthing is slowed down around me.

I don't have the word thing though...I've heard others speak of something similar though.

the word thing happens to me in various ways due to formal thought disorder and that's defo diagnosis related. it's not my most prominent feature...and never the thing to get me committed or anything...but it can be tricker to get rid of than "hallucinations". and sometimes a lot harder. and at its worst the way it impairs functioning...makes me look ...from weird to absurd to stupid. but it can vary a lot in people...mine is more "moderate" as an overall feature...like, it takes a backseat to "hallucinations/delusions" generally and for me it is mostly treatment responsive. (in contrast, if that symptom is your predominant symptom...that's a different subtype of schizophrenia and ...i don't know anyone with disorganized/hebephrenic schizophrenia who lives independently and isn't with family or in a group home.)

anyway

the clean substitution... like i think you're saying...i notice it. and i try to correct. and the more frustrated i get the less words i am using... especially because with nouns i tend to substitute words for other things present. so it's like....how to get to place x and i'm like use the door,  meaning the stairs. and as they walk toward the door i'm waving at the stairs saying no, no....no...use the door... the door. and i get frustrated and just kinda....start going uh-uh-uh.....and pointing to where i mean.

i don't know what you meant by parts of words, but i'll try to mash two words together...usually synonyms starting with same or similar prefix or first letter...or syllable pattern...and it's like...instead of selecting one...some siamese twin shit happens and after i say it aloud i can have trouble untangling them again. 

(when my speech and writing gradually starts...destabilizes....like...you know how words are "whole", sentences are whole...ideas....paragraphs...whole, whole? so reverse order...if ideas...paragraphs... start getting more and more disjointed and...you can't keep them together in a whole, and then there's like...more and more ...all that derailment and loose association and then start turning into word salad. if that...along with the word loss... if it shrinks until...you can't put whole words together...and you get so caught up trying that you aren't really able to interact with the  well, with anything...you spend all your time trying to sort your head to have a coherent thought...it's all just...not floating but fractured and ...it's hard to explain. but that's a negative symptom: alogia.)

and i do the word..like...fixation...but it's also like i have to get it out of my system in a way. and they're always short and....kinda...tidy. like, egg.. and now that i wrote that...i'm sitting here fighting to not say egg.    egg.   egg egg egg egg egg

sometimes i can't remember the word for something that's really fucking basic things, which is a presentation of thought blocking

like...toothbrush

for example

and i'll be like.. that thing...with the...you know with the (brushing hand motion). and until someone else says it...the word doesn't.....like it's literally non existent in my vocabulary or memory anymore. not in a... tip of the tongue or i know what it sounds like; just gone...no self-retrieval possible

there are lots of ways it...like..i don't know...more than ten...prolly less than thirty...signs or...types of it. i maybe have ever presented with....not all. maybe half to three quarters of them. but not all the time and not all at once. but then some...i do sorta do it's part of my speech pattern and prolly just seems like affectation to others maybe...as a general rule. i forget all of the terms...but if you google formal thought disorder ...maybe along with schizophrenia... i'm sure you could find a list. 

there's a test for it. i forget which it is but 

hold on...i'll find it...i'll recognize the acronym from records im' sure

here's a thing that kinda covers everything i just said...but i already typed it...so...i'm leaving it http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/3/473.full.pdf

sometimes i can't remember the word for something that's really fucking basic things, which is a presentation of thought blocking

like...toothbrush

for example

and i'll be like.. that thing...with the...you know with the (brushing hand motion). and until someone else says it...the word doesn't.....like it's literally non existent in my vocabulary or memory anymore. not in a... tip of the tongue or i know what it sounds like; just gone...no self-retrieval possible

I can so relate to this. 

I also mix up things like dishwasher and washing machine, like "Did you run that plate through the washing machine,"  or something. 

Also with the things when I cant remember the word for the life of me, I have a picture of it in my mind as I am trying to retrieve the word, but all I can do is describe it until the other person guesses it or by some miracle I actually think of the word.

Ugh the speech thing is so embarrassing because it gets worse when I am stressed. I will start to say a word and only half will come out, or I will blend two words together by accident. For example, I will be thinking cat and my brain throws in kitten randomly and it comes out catten. And the thought blocking. I hate that, I just blank out midsentence and that catches people's attention because they are waiting for me to correct myself and I can't.

The slow mo I get more infrequently, if I am really bad off, I walk slow, can't focus to count money or find things. People look at me like they think I am high.

Forgetting words like they're no longer in my vocabulary, I get that a lot too. I also get a second version of it where I forget the meaning of a word temporarily and not realize it until I try to use it or I'll hear someone use it. Like the example above 'toothbrush', I'll hear it and have no idea what it is at that moment so I'll try to use the constituents of the word to figure out what it is. So, 'tooth' and 'brush' and figure out what it is from there and hope I don't think its a brush that looks like a tooth, lol. Though words like 'constituents' suck when this happens because there's no way to extract the meaning,though I still try...'con' 'stitch' 'you' 'ents' and that strategy obviously fails miserably.

Aside with forgetting the meaning of a word, I also will try to use a word and forget its pronunciation or at least think I'm pronouncing it wrong; like the word just sounds wrong. Though I retain the meaning.

Other than that, I repeat words to myself sometimes and can't stop because there's no clear reason to stop. Eg. I will say "okay okay okay okay okay..." Over and over again in my head and can't stop because the "okay" I just said is no different from the "okay" I'm currently saying. So because there's no difference between the 2, I can't treat the second one different and stop after it. It's almost like intentionally trying to stop a sentence half way through, there's no end-punctuation halfway through so stopping wouldn't feel right. This seems very OCD like in my opinion. Makes me feel like when things aren't symmetrical.

I don't get the slowmo thing that I know of.

Yesterday I saw a (watering can) and I was with my 6 year old niece.  I said "oh, you mean the ... the ... the thing ..." and she said "watering can," and I was like "yeah, I couldn't think of the word!" and made it out to be nothing but it was embarrassing because it isn't the first time it has hapened.

I get the words thing, usually when I'm psychotic though, not when I'm well. 

I don't think I've done the slow-motion thing, except maybe when I'm depressed. I'll walk really slow and talk really slow. But I imagine what you're describing is somewhat different. 

I get sped up more than slowing down, but I had an aunt with catatonia and she would slow, I think isee it in depression, too. psychomotor slowing.

Words, I relate. It started this year, my boyfriend says I only noticed it this year though and it started in writing because I would write and words that made no sensewere peppered in there.

For a while I couldn't be around people because words came out with extra letters or sliced up. I keep an eye on that now because I noticed my ability to fluidly speak went out the window a few months before everything else went to hell. Now it only happens sparingly. Ill say words like "solotion" or ill swap words like "put the trashcan in the bag" or just forget words, stupid words, forgetting the word cat or water. Meds helped. It only happens a little now so I can't remember all the examples anymore but I remember being desperate to avoid speaking because I was very embarrassed. I did notice anxiety made it worse so if I was anxious about slurring my words I would probably slur my words.

Yesterday I saw a (watering can) and I was with my 6 year old niece.  I said "oh, you mean the ... the ... the thing ..." and she said "watering can," and I was like "yeah, I couldn't think of the word!" and made it out to be nothing but it was embarrassing because it isn't the first time it has hapened.

This is an example of what happens to me daily, lol. I HATE IT!