CrazyBoards.org

I've been on on Protonix/Somac (pantoprazole) for 6 days and for the past 24 hours I've had a really stubborn headache. I basically just had to lie in the dark yesterday. Sound and light hurts. Panadol/Tylenol hasn't touched it.

I took some Nurofen/Advil today along with the Panadol/Tylenol and that has helped a bit but I still feel pretty lousy. 

Has anyone else had really bad headaches that last for days from a PPI? Did anything make it go away? I'm thinking of going to the pharmacy and getting some paracetamol/codeine, which usually helps my really bad headaches.

Did your headaches go away as you adjusted to the PPI or did they stick around? Also I actually ordered some Losec/Prilosec a few days ago, has anyone switched PPI and found they did/didn't still have a headache?

I'm taking it for stomach problems after a course of NSAID use. 

TIA.

Edited by mcjimjam

Not knowing every detail, it sounds like you have a migraine. I have crazy bad migraine, so every med change can kick one off. I can't speak to the probability of your meds being the reason though. Have you had migraines or bad headaches in the past?

I do have a history of bad headaches, yes. A doctor once said they are migraines. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this is a random one, but the only times I've had headaches that go on for multiple days have been when a drug has been causing them.

I'm feeling somewhat better after taking an Ativan, I don't know how it helped, maybe I'm just relaxed about the pain so it's less?

Light is still burning my corneas. I don't know if I'll  go to my ACT group this evening. The bright fluorescents don't much appeal to me right now.

Ativan kicks my migraines right in the ass, it is scary how good it is. My husband gets ativan for seizures, but now that he is hardly ever having seizures, I use them more. I try really hard not to overuse them, because I don't want them to stop working. My pdoc and ndoc both seemed to think this was reasonable, but I still have no idea what the mechanism is.

I don't think I've eaten anything out of the ordinary. Cereal, pasta, toast with jam. Nothing I don't eat nearly every day. It probably is just a migraine. Maybe I should see a doctor. IDK, I don't get them often. I went to a doctor once, he said to take 3 soluble paracetamol/acetaminophen and 3 soluble aspirin when I get the first signs of a migraine. I'm not sure whether that ever helped much.

ETA: It's mostly better now. I went to my group. My brain was mush but oh, well. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow it will be gone completely.

Edited by mcjimjam

I have horrible migraines w/muscle tension & nausea just to add to the fun. What you are describing certainly sounds like a migraine,( mine tend to be pain through my left eye out of the back of my skull) 

I agree that any horrible, long lasting headache should be checked out. 

May you feel better soon!

I have horrible migraines w/muscle tension & nausea just to add to the fun. What you are describing certainly sounds like a migraine,( mine tend to be pain through my left eye out of the back of my skull) 

The pain tends to be on both sides of the head for me, but the back of my eyes is where it usually hurts most. I get nausea, too but not so bad that I throw up.

I am planning to get it checked out. I realised that even though I don't have migraines often, the last one before this one that inspired the thread was actually quite dangerous.

I was driving in the country, on the way back from my grandfathers funeral, with my brother and sister when it hit me. It was at night and all the light, taillights on other cars, my headlights reflecting on things, was throwing off so much glare that I couldn't really see properly. I was squinting etc.

All of a sudden I saw a police car stopped in my lane, I swerved around it and back into my lane, when I realised that I wasn't driving in the lane at all, but the emergency stopping lane, the police cruiser came after me and pulled me over, drug and alcohol tested me etc. 

I got off with a warning, thank god, but I had to keep going till I could find a motel, since my brother and sister couldn't drive. It was scary. I feel lucky I didn't lose my license and get stuck out there, or have an accident. 

The pain tends to be on both sides of the head for me, but the back of my eyes is where it usually hurts most. I get nausea, too but not so bad that I throw up.

I am planning to get it checked out. I realised that even though I don't have migraines often, the last one before this one that inspired the thread was actually quite dangerous.

I was driving in the country, on the way back from my grandfathers funeral, with my brother and sister when it hit me. It was at night and all the light, taillights on other cars, my headlights reflecting on things, was throwing off so much glare that I couldn't really see properly. I was squinting etc.

All of a sudden I saw a police car stopped in my lane, I swerved around it and back into my lane, when I realised that I wasn't driving in the lane at all, but the emergency stopping lane, the police cruiser came after me and pulled me over, drug and alcohol tested me etc. 

I got off with a warning, thank god, but I had to keep going till I could find a motel, since my brother and sister couldn't drive. It was scary. I feel lucky I didn't lose my license and get stuck out there, or have an accident. 

I am glad you were not hurt! 

I too have the eye pain, sensitivity to light, smells & sound, but things are mostly under control.   

It is my hope that they figure out what is going on for you, and soon!