CrazyBoards.org

might not be around for a while

this might be better served as a blog post, and I may do that yet. I wanted to say that I may be taking a short break from cb to see if it will help with my mood....NOT to say that I am blaming my mood on any of you, but saying that perhaps spending so much time focusing on my mood and my mi may be contributing to my symptomology.

I don't spend much time here on the boards, but those that know me, know that I spend a lot of time in chat. I am not even sure that I will be able to follow through with this little experiment, because coming here has become such a habit.

have any of the rest of you done this/thought of this, and did it help? or am I just deluded? I just wonder if I spent less time focused on my depression and other symptomology, that it would be less apparent and I would be able to function better.

I took a break of several months between 2011 and 2012.  During the first part of that period I was a complete and utter mess, then after I had a major and miraculous med change in January 2012 I took the time for that to settle.  I was much stronger when I came back and far more able to participate.  It definitely isn't easy to break off contact with CB when it's become a daily habit (particularly in my case - my presence around here goes back to 2004 and CB's predecessor), but I think it can be a good thing.  At the end of the day, you've got to listen to your gut and what feels right for you, and you and I are by no means the only people who've stepped away for a period.

eta I'm not suggesting you disappear for months like I did - really, this is all about what you personally need, even if it's just a few days or weeks.

Edited by miab

I've taken breaks before.  Usually, I just get distracted by something else/  I do sometimes feel like mi is a big focus in my life and I'm not sure how healthy that is.  I believe part of recovery is not having to micromanage your symptoms. Being aware but also  able to enjoy life.  

Taking a break from anything you do regularly often has positive results. It can help break out of ruts and when you return you have a new perspective on things. I think it's especially true of online communities and support groups. 

Taking a break from anything you do regularly often has positive results. It can help break out of ruts and when you return you have a new perspective on things. I think it's especially true of online communities and support groups. 

I agree with this.

I disappear sometimes, but on smaller scales - for a week or three. Although I do sometimes avoid chat for a while. It can be overwhelming to be there too much. Or at least I find it so for me.

Thus far I've always come back, though. 

I took a small break fro CB when I first started nursing school, just so that I could focus on my academics for a while. I think it's healthy to take a break from things sometimes. Like Rosie, I also take small breaks from chat sometimes, just cause I get overwhelmed too. 

Yes, I took a break for most of this past year. It is good not to focus on your moods all the time. I lost myself in some hobbies and managed to get outside my head. But then again, it feels good to come back again.

We're here when you need us. Good luck!

I took a 3 or 4 month break a few years ago for the same reason you are. I had CBs on my bookmark bar, and had to remove it, because I kept clicking it out of habit. For some reason, since I have come back, I haven't had that feeling of "all I do is think and talk about my mental illness, no wonder I'm crazy." I hope you do well.

I've only just started to get to know you in chat, however you should do what you feel you need to. You know, it doesn't hurt to take a break, see if you feel better and if you do, great, if not, we'll still be here. I tend to go the other way. I lean on websites for support when I'm at my worst and as things improve drift away slightly but I do know that sometimes for certain things it can be a double edged sword. I wish you all the luck though. I hope either way you feel a little bit brighter.

thank you for all of your kind words. i am not gone entirely--i am too addicted for that :P! but i am limiting myself to popping in and out for limited periods of time. i just want to focus on being in the moment and not micro-manage my mi quite so much.

i hope that i am making sense.

so you will see me around, just not for the hours at a time that you are used to.