CrazyBoards.org

I took it for about a year and a half for as a mood stabiliser along with Lamictal, which made me manic when I was on it by itself. It worked well, I didn't have any manic episodes while I took it. It also helped me sleep. I was on 200-400mg/day. I didn't gain any weight.

Edited by mcjimjam

I've been on it for 14 years. It works well. I haven't gotten any excessive side effects from it. 

But it varies from person to person. Most other APs don't agree with me, or don't work as well as Seroquel for my particular crazy.

I did gain a lot of weight and had raised cholesterol and blood sugar levels, so my pdoc decided it was adversely affecting my physical health and it would be better not taking it. Yes I did lose weight, my cholesterol and blood sugar levels decreased. BUT I became very manic. Pdoc  decided to go back on Seroquel and keep a close eye on side effects.

Again it worked well for me and because I was very much aware of potential side effects I was pro-active in eating well and exercising and have actually managed to lose weight, albeit very slowly

Upon starting Seroquel I had rapid heart beat, dizziness, nausea,  orthostatic hypotension, also known as postural hypotension which is a form of hypotension in which a person's blood pressure suddenly falls when standing up. At the beginning and whenever I had a dose increase I would feel like this and it really did feel horrendous. Thankfully once I was established on a dose I was fine.

I have Bipolar Disorder and the best AAP I've been on is Seroquel XR. I'm still on it. It's really helped my depression, quashed mania, reduces anxiety levels and allows me to lead a fairly "normal" life....

I would go as far as saying that I LOVE Seroquel XR

I had taken it before. I gained a lot of weight on it and I'm still trying to get rid of the weight. In the beginning, I had a rough time adjusting to it as it would knock me out cold. Eventually that stopped when I worked up to the higher dosages. I'm not sure how well it worked for me because I was drugged up on several other meds at the time.

Seroquel made me gain a lot of weight, and it didn't work.  My thought disorganization actually got worse and it didn't touch my delusions and barely helped my hallucinations.  But I've also heard that it works really well for a lot of people here, so I wish you luck with it!

Edited by Schizophrenic_Sanity

I love seroquel. I've actually been able to exercise more with it and have lost some weight. But also toned up a lot.

It keeps me calm and I really think it's a good med.

I hope it works well for you.

I love seroquel. I've actually been able to exercise more with it and have lost some weight. But also toned up a lot.

It keeps me calm and I really think it's a good med.

I hope it works well for you.

Slurroquel was a godsend when I needed it.

It was hard on my physical health with regard to weight gain, but I also was too crazy to care about what I was eating at the time, so didn't have great nutrition.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. From what you wrote it seems seroquel is a good med. What preocuppies me is that it does cause weight gain, and that is exactly what my pdoc is trying to prevent by switching me from zyprexa to seroquel.

Edited by CookieN

It doesn't always cause weight gain. I've been on it for about 10 years now and never gained a pound. It helps a lot with my sleep and with keeping me stable. For me it's a great med.

Good to know that not all the people gain weight while on it. What dosage are you on?