CrazyBoards.org

What exactly is anxiety?

Well I suffer from anxiety. . But sometimes I confuse things. Anxiety is being worried and nervous and this is me 24/7, and I've had panic attacks before, only a few times though but this also stems from anxiety.

But sometimes I confuse anxiety and paranoia. What is the difference, really? I can't tell if I'm just way too damn anxious or if im paranoid.

Can anxiety lead to paranoia? In my mind I feel like these words are interchangeable but I feel like they are not. I don't have something right.

For example when I'm out at night I'm very nervous of others around me, and get worried of certain situations such as groups of people trying to talk to me. It makes me feel anxious but I get paranoid? I don't even know if I'm making sense.

Someone please enlighten me..

Edited by spaced

I think I've read in a number of places that worry about Anxiety (Or having a sudden Panic Attack) is one of the issues with Anxiety.   I'm not sure its paranoid to be worried about that.   Is it more accurate to say phobia for the group talking to you etc?   Of course I'm no expert.

spaced -

Paranoia is normally characterized by an irrational and overpowering sense of suspicion or distrust of other people, often described as a feeling that "they're out to get me".  Paranoia as an independent disorder is not that common, but it is not uncommonly comorbid with other mental conditions.

Because your anxiety and panic attacks are basically erroneous triggering of your body's "fight-or-flight" defenses for no reason, you feel the effects of stress-coping biochemistry unleashed into your system by your brain every time it happens.  You feel your heart race, your blood pressure change, you feel the effects of adrenaline, and so forth.  And because your body is reacting in a way it would react to a primal fear/danger situation, your mind senses the body's status and thinks something must be wrong, even though there's no actual threat and your own brain sent the false signals to start with.

Paranoia can be a source of such false signals, and thus a trigger for anxiety.  It would be reasonable to expect to be anxious if you were obsessed with paranoid assumptions that you were being in some way targeted by others.  If you have not yet seen a psychologist or psychiatrist, I would advise you to do so as soon as possible and openly discuss your feelings of paranoia.

Cerberus

not sure its paranoid to be worried about that. Is it more accurate to say phobia for the group talking to you etc? Of course I'm no expert.

This is not a phobia I don't think, maybe it is though. I get paranoid for certain reasons. When confronted by a group I automatically think they will jump me and hurt me. It's very specific things. Usually only at night. Sometimes I will think people are following me or if they drive pass me they were staring at me.

I feel worried and nervous that these things will happen or are going to happen. That's why or how I mix up anxious and paranoia.

Very creepy and uncomfortable feeling

spaced -

Paranoias are usually relatively specific in the way you describe, though you may end up with a sense of uncertainty about what or how others may act or what their rationale is.  The important thing to realize and remind yourself, of course, is that these thoughts are not reality.  The people you are thinking about are not actually planning to jump you, and they are not staring at you - your brain is manufacturing false signals that it is interpreting as sensory input because it isn't functioning properly.  You are becoming anxious over threats that do not, in fact, exist.

Are you currently under the care of a psychiatrist or psychologist?  Are you taking any medications for your condition?  You don't have to suffer this way; there are treatments that can help reduce and manage these unwanted feelings.  If you're not getting help right now, I urge you to talk to you doctor about a referral, or just pick up the phone and call a mental health care provider in your area.  They can help.  You don't have to keep looking over your shoulder.

Cerberus