CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar causing lack of sleep

Hi everyone so my sleeping is probably the worst aspect of my disorder, now dont get me wrong i'm happy to stay on 3-4 hours a night or wake up at 4am and bed at midnight but in order for me to function and live a normal life i NEED my 8 hours solid sleep

I constantly wake up hour by hour and it seems the only sleep i get is a drug induced one wether by weed or alcahol or other perscribed drugs...

I was originally on Temazapan for sleep until i hit a 120mg tolerance and then i was removed to diazapam, 10mg but that is slowly making it's tolerance and it doesn't give me anywhere near the sleep hit Temaz did, i have been given PHenergan anti hystamine to sleep 25mg but that doesn't do jack shit...

Do you guys think it's because i am using generic brand names and not the proper name brands for temaz and diaz?? 

What are some other benzos that are great for sleep, less addicted and more so to the bigger question. what are some great ways TO actually sleep?!

i've tried a fair bit so think outside the box of general sleeping hints here, maybe share how did you guys eventually get a good sleep pattern

i tried the gym but 3 hours a day at gym just pumps me up, i tired fishing 4am every morning but i still don't crash until midnight, i've tried cutting out the energy drinks and coke cola but to no effect either

I haven't noticed any difference between brand name Valium and Normison and their generic equivalents. My experience is that benzo's are pretty lousy for sleep, unless you only use them occasionally. If I take them every night, after like 3 days, they don't help at all. 

For me the only two things that worked when taken every night were Seroquel (worked for a year and a half), and Avanza, which I have been taking for about a year. Hopefully it will keep working.

Yeh they were debating dropping my pristiq to lower my manic side but then i get depressed really easily and in a miserable mood, also suffering panic attacks and anxiety goes very high,

i was told xanax works well i might ask about it what do you think?

My guess is that any benzo, including Xanax, will have the same problem of tolerance as you're experiencing now.

^THIS.

Have you tried ambien?  It doesn't work for me but has worked for many others here on CB.  Or low-dose melatonin ... that is OTC and can be gotten at any pharmacy.  If you do decide to try it though I'd run it by your pdoc first.

My guess is that any benzo, including Xanax, will have the same problem of tolerance as you're experiencing now.

^THIS.

Have you tried ambien?  It doesn't work for me but has worked for many others here on CB.  Or low-dose melatonin ... that is OTC and can be gotten at any pharmacy.  If you do decide to try it though I'd run it by your pdoc first.

Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eatingicon1.png, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking Ambien and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder. 

For ambien - this scares me alot

^THIS.

Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eatingicon1.png, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking Ambien and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder. 

For ambien - this scares me alot

This is why I can't take it.  I was just suggesting it because so many people here on CB it works great for without these side effects.

I love, love, love Ambien, it's one of the best meds I've ever used.  I have never had any of the 'don't remember' side effects, they're pretty rare.  It's fast acting (15 to 20 minutes), and you need to take it on an empty stomach, but it's worked great for me. 

I've been using for about 4+ years every night.  I often have to get up and pee in the night, and I remember it the next day, so I'm not worried about being so knocked out that I won't wake up to the smoke alarm.  I hear my regular alarm no problem.

Lack of sleep is the best way I know to land at the bottom of the abyss, so I'm willing to take my pill every night.  If I know for some reason I will be getting less than five hours, I'll take half, otherwise I'll still be groggy when I wake up. 

There are lots of threads about Ambien here.  There are some other non-benzo sleep meds, too - Lunesta comes to mind, and there may be one or two others.  I hope you find something that works.

Benzos don't generally make very good sleeping pills. Restoril is the only one I know of that is used for sleep. This one evidently no longer works for you. 

If you're not sleeping because of mania then you need to address the root problem--the mania. Zyprexa brings my mania to a screeching stop. So, if my lack of sleep is due to being manic, then treating the mania works. Taking sleeping pills when manic tends to do nothing for me. It's sort of like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

You need to discuss this with your pdoc. He/she is really the only one that can help you with this. I'm going to list some of the things I've tried. As always, I'm telling you what worked/didn't work for me. I'm not suggesting that you try any of these things.

• Lunesta or Ambien or one of the other meds of this type. Yes, they can cause side effects. I had some of those side effects. I no longer take any of these meds. The sleepwalking SE is NOT common.
  • Warm milk--don't knock it until you've tried it. I generally add a little sugar and vanilla. 
  • Low dose Seroquel helps a lot of people.
  • Melatonin - there is an immediate release and a time released. 
  • Trazadone - AD that helps some folks with sleep issues.
  • amitriptyline - this shit knocks me on my ass. Fine one minute and crashed the next. However, I take a lot of it.
  • Wait it out because eventually you'll sleep. I had a pdoc years ago who followed this rule. The older I get, the more I tend to agree with him.

Some pdocs will not give BP folks ADs. You might want to discuss this with your pdoc. If/when I start to get speedy, the first thing my pdoc does is lower or stop my AD. Not cold-turkey. A scheduled taper.

Being an informed consumer is important. You should do your own research.

Best of luck.

I don't think generic or brand makes a difference in benzos any ways. I have had my sleep disorder for over 12 years much like you described. Benzo's are not the best for long term because you will build a tolerance for them and need higher doses. I agree you should discuss this and work with your pdoc exploring additional ways to help you. I have found for myself any ways if I get at least 4 good hours of sleep I'm fine the next day. Sure I love getting more! But rarely do and I too often get up every hour. My doc and I have found some tricks that seem to help me! I won't disclose what they are as I don't want to appear I am suggesting treatment for you, the point is there is hope! I still need benzo's for other reasons, but honestly they are not the best solution for sleep, at least not long term. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the feedback everyone i will discuss it all with my doctor in about 6 hours time, I did take 20mg of valium last night and that helped me sleep after 3 hours along with 4 beers and that's not good at all..

heck without the beer it can take me up to 40mg-50mg of valium to sleep :( i think i build a resistance too fast

i'll ask my doc today maybe i can try temaz again but at a higher dose, take say 30mg in one hit or something. i only need it for 3-4 weeks until my mood stabilisers kick in after that i'm hoping that will control my mania wich will help me sleep

they do have me on pristiq a nice anti depressent to boost my mood this is great as i have such a long history of 50 odd suicidal behaviour and attempts so it keeps me happy but the manic side comes out as a result.

i guess the pdoc will figure it out eventually

Please be very careful mixing benzos with alcohol.

There's something called a synergistic effect with those two drugs that makes 1 + 1 = more than 2.

It's a good way to accidentally end up dying by choking on your own vomit.