CrazyBoards.org

Anyone on the schizophrenia spectrum want to share?

24 minutes ago, aura said:

I got the teaching job I applied for! This means I'm taken care of financially for many years to come. It's a kind of stability us grad students rarely experience. I'm so relieved and so excited to start training!

Yay!! That is so awesome! :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aura said:

Sorry that you're in pain @melissaw72. Sprained ankles really suck. I used to sprain mine all the time.

Thanks.  When I stretched this morning as I was waking up I heard this loud Pop, so I laid there for a few minutes.  When I got up I could now actually put a little pressure on it.  I could finally move my toes, and the pain slightly lessened ... to the extent where I didn't need 2 crutches all the time.  I still need both, but at least now I can eat sitting down instead standing at the counter (because I couldn't carry anything).

So I think what happened was that something got back in place, so the pain was at least a little better.  Still am seeing the DR tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, aura said:

I got the teaching job I applied for! This means I'm taken care of financially for many years to come. It's a kind of stability us grad students rarely experience. I'm so relieved and so excited to start training!

Congratulations!  That is great news!

• Like 1

I'm reading a self-help type book about schizophrenia because I can't find anything about schizoaffective, and it's extraordinary how much of it I can relate to. There are all sorts of things that I never realized were psychotic symptoms, like sensory misperceptions (things too bright, too loud, sensory flooding). I always find it a bit creepy when a book somehow knows about experiences I thought were idiosyncratic or personal. But I guess it also makes me feel more at home in this diagnosis.

2 hours ago, aura said:

Fantastic news! :)

14 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Yesterday I sprained my ankle and foot ... as I caught myself it was too late.  My ankle made a 90 degree angle when I fell, and my foot went with it, everything cracking on the right side of my right foot.  Can not wiggle my toes unless ice has been on the area for a couple hours.  I am on crutches, both sides ... I tried using just the one crutch to take the pressure off, but I can't even do that.

Fortunately I have an appt already scheduled with primary for tomorrow morning so I'll get checked then.  If I need an x-ray I think I can do that in the same building.  Hopefully anyway ... I don't want take a chance of slipping a second time if we have to go to the hospital.

Very very painful.

Oh crap, Melissa, that really sucks. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I told my boss I was going through some medical stuff and gave him a note from my pdoc. He gave it to HR and now they want to talk with me. I really, really don't want to talk with them because I think they'll think I'm crazy :( . I wish there was less stigma for disorders on the Sz spectrum.

Just now, Swamp56 said:

I told my boss I was going through some medical stuff and gave him a note from my pdoc. He gave it to HR and now they want to talk with me. I really, really don't want to talk with them because I think they'll think I'm crazy :( . I wish there was less stigma for disorders on the Sz spectrum.

Can you be vague? My advisers at school know I have "medical problems" but that's as far as it goes. 

Just now, aura said:

Can you be vague? My advisers at school know I have "medical problems" but that's as far as it goes. 

I'm hoping so. They want to know if I need to take medical leave or need some sort of accommodation. If I do either, I can't imagine what my coworkers will think about my productivity. My boss at least told me that he doesn't think differently of me.

The only thing that's keeping me from going into work (vs WFH) is this strange disorganization of thought/speech.

5 minutes ago, Swamp56 said:

Oh that sucks. Just be very vague, saying something like you have a medical problem that is being treated by a doctor, and leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Oh crap, Melissa, that really sucks. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Thanks.  It is actually feeling a lot better because yesterday when I woke I went to stretch and when I did something popped back in to place ... when I got up a few minutes afterwards, the pain was down, I could wiggle my toes, and I could put a little pressure down.  And the swelling is down too. Still seeing DR this morning.

• Like 1

I've been dealing with hypersexuality for a month or so now, and it's making me a crazy(er) person. I'm not BP, so I have no idea where this is coming from. I posted about it in the NOS board and got some helpful responses, but some unhelpful ones as well. :/ Idk what to do to make this stop. This isn't how I usually am, and it's freaking me out.

27 minutes ago, heilmania said:

I've been dealing with hypersexuality for a month or so now, and it's making me a crazy(er) person. I'm not BP, so I have no idea where this is coming from. I posted about it in the NOS board and got some helpful responses, but some unhelpful ones as well. :/ Idk what to do to make this stop. This isn't how I usually am, and it's freaking me out.

Have you tried getting in touch with your doctor? Might be a bit of an awkward email, but if it's bothering you so much then maybe it's time to seek medical help. 

Also... do you have any other manicky-type symptoms? Not sleeping well, feeling sped up, that sort of thing. Could be that you're experiencing a hypomanic-like state for the first time.

1 minute ago, aura said:

Have you tried getting in touch with your doctor? Might be a bit of an awkward email, but if it's bothering you so much then maybe it's time to seek medical help. 

Also... do you have any other manicky-type symptoms? Not sleeping well, feeling sped up, that sort of thing. Could be that you're experiencing a hypomanic-like state for the first time.

I would second this.

3 minutes ago, aura said:

Just now, Closure said:

I would second this.

I called him today (he was out of town for like a week and a half and just got back), and he wants me to make an appointment to come in earlier. He doesn't want to discuss this over the phone for whatever reason?

To answer your questions, Aura:

I haven't been sleeping the best, but that's pretty normal for me. I haven't been like, going on spending sprees or anything, but I do feel a bit more sped up- I actually haven't been tired during the day, and I usually am. I'm definitely the type to catch a nap during lunch at work no matter how much sleep I got the night before, and that hasn't happened in a while. I do have a lot more energy. Idk, maybe it is mania? That would definitely be a first for me. I also haven't had any recent med changes.

11 minutes ago, Closure said:

Wow. I don't need to avoid my coworkers today. Things really are getting better!

This is great news! I hope the delusions stay away.

2 minutes ago, heilmania said:

I haven't been sleeping the best, but that's pretty normal for me. I haven't been like, going on spending sprees or anything, but I do feel a bit more sped up- I actually haven't been tired during the day, and I usually am. I'm definitely the type to catch a nap during lunch at work no matter how much sleep I got the night before, and that hasn't happened in a while. I do have a lot more energy. Idk, maybe it is mania? That would definitely be a first for me. I also haven't had any recent med changes.

This really could be hypomania. For me hypomania starts out very subtle, with just more energy than I'm used to during the day and slightly disrupted sleep. Are you sure nothing like this has happened before? Hypomania isn't very remarkable so you might have had it in the past and not remember.

1 minute ago, aura said:

This really could be hypomania. For me hypomania starts out very subtle, with just more energy than I'm used to during the day and slightly disrupted sleep. Are you sure nothing like this has happened before? Hypomania isn't very remarkable so you might have had it in the past and not remember.

Maybe it has and I'm just not remembering. When I was in art school (college), there were times I'd get so into what I was making, I could pull an all-nighter without coffee. I'd get so little sleep, I'd start seeing flickers of things out of the corners of my eyes.

My only question is, if people are prone to mania, doesn't an antidepressant trigger those symptoms? I've been on Effexor for maybe 5 years now. I'm on the max dose with Abilify augmenting it.

God, I'm so confused.

6 minutes ago, heilmania said:

Maybe it has and I'm just not remembering. When I was in art school (college), there were times I'd get so into what I was making, I could pull an all-nighter without coffee. I'd get so little sleep, I'd start seeing flickers of things out of the corners of my eyes.

My only question is, if people are prone to mania, doesn't an antidepressant trigger those symptoms? I've been on Effexor for maybe 5 years now. I'm on the max dose with Abilify augmenting it.

God, I'm so confused.

Antidepressants trigger mania for me, but it's not a guaranteed thing that if you have bipolar you'll get mania with antidepressants.

If you had full-blown mania in the past you'd for sure remember it, but hypomania maybe not. It can be very subtle. Best to let your pdoc sort things out, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

1 hour ago, aura said:

Antidepressants trigger mania for me, but it's not a guaranteed thing that if you have bipolar you'll get mania with antidepressants.

If you had full-blown mania in the past you'd for sure remember it, but hypomania maybe not. It can be very subtle. Best to let your pdoc sort things out, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

Okay.

Yeah, I feel like I'd remember full-blown mania. I'm trying to get an earlier appt to see my pdoc, as I am scheduled to see him next in April. Thanks a lot!!!

I should not have gotten my hopes up - I am still on the constant lookout for coworkers in the hallways even if I am not actively avoiding them, and when I was getting lunch I had the thought that someone might poison my drink even though it had not even been opened and that someone might tamper with my computer even though it was locked.

Edited by Closure